suspension problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exmark93

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
when i turn my slash 4x4 it seems to stay low on that side, it will only rebound about 50% from the original length of the shock when it has weight on it. the shock will operate normally when it is off the vehicle. i have been running this car HEAVILY in the snow this winter would that have anything to do with it? thanks guys

I'm running the stock rustlers with the same spacers. this problem started a few weeks after i upgraded those

Hmm... if you are running it when it is VERY cold outside the ambient temps will have a thickening-like effect on your shock oil. It is possible that this dampening change is making it more difficult for the oil to pass through the holes in your shock piston, thus making it more difficult for the springs to right the chassis when the load is taken away from the suspension. You could either rebuild your shocks with a lighter weight oil or rebuild with similar oil but replace the pistons with a set with another hole.. or run stiffer springs... or change shock geometry.

lessen thats exactly what i thought! but its 50 out today and it was acting exactly the same as it was when it was 15 out, my shocks are stock havent done anything internally to them, could that winter salt, dirt and snow be the problem?

lessen thats exactly what i thought! but its 50 out today and it was acting exactly the same as it was when it was 15 out, my shocks are stock havent done anything internally to them, could that winter salt, dirt and snow be the problem?

rebuilding them never hurts. nothing is missing off the shock is it? like the spring retainer or spacers if they have them (in not familiar with that truck)

I would rebuild them. I just have a feeling it has something to do with dampening. Maybe they've gotten grimed up inside?.?

alright ill try that, but would it be worth it just to get new shocks? they're the stock traxxas ultra shocks

Well, the thing is... this has not always been a problem and I would find it hard to believe that the springs themselves are losing their "spring". It seems to me there is some sort of resistance in your suspension somewhere... Heck, now that I think of it, it doesn't necessarily need to be your shocks. How about your suspenstion pins and/or other areas of suspension movement.. You may have some grit, or salt.. or even corrosion caused by salt built up in those areas. I bet your rig would love a very thorough cleaning and that's about it.

Take the shocks off and make sure the arms move free. I'm betting the hinge pins and/or rod ends are rusted.

If the hinge pins are rusty, a good upgrade would be either stainless or titanium hinge pins.

Call me nuts but it works very well i've done this before when i ran my rc10 in the winter i used vegtable oil in the shocks the temps don't affect the viscosity as much it works great(winter only)old school enginering! Now i just wait for summer.:D

I used mineral oil all winter in my E Maxx and Rusty.:) Works great between 20-30 degrees. Gets a little bouncy above freezing.;)

Thread moved to correct forum.

Back