Summertime 1:1 offroading

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mondo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Aaah..summer is here

In England we have this past time called "greenlaning"
This is where you jump into your Land Rover (or any lesser brand of 4x4) and cruise along the "public access" dirt roads that cover the entire country.
In fact you can travel across the entire country without using a public (ashpalt) road for more than a few hundred yards and to fill up with gas.

This weekend we (the local Land Rover club) embarked on a little escapade into Wiltshire. These are dirt tracks with public access, but they are also shared with the Military who do training exercises in this area.
There were 15 vehciles that attended the meeting, Series II, Defenders and Discos (Discoverys). We even had an LHD/import Disco with a Washington State plate with us on the trip

We met up in Devizes, Wiltshire alongside the canal.
The boats you see are barges, also know as long boats. Some folk live in these, but most are used for recreational purposes.

Jon took this opportunity to allow his 90 to hydrate in the barge launch jetty

We then set off in groups of 5 and got do do some offroading
This is my little Wolf 90 inch getting dirty, you can see the other Land Rovers in the background. Unfortunately the tracks were dry and very dusty. Things are usualy a lot more interesting after a good downpour

We bumped into this nice English gentleman who was travelling the length of England via the public access roads in his 50 year old (1956) Land Rover Series 1

We stopped and had a chat with him - hey it's a "Land Rover thing" and he shared some info on the route/s he had covered as he was travelling the opposite way to us

Later we had to stop and heed for a convoy of "larger vehicles"
Oh these things do impress.

Towards the end of the trip we stopped alongside a temporary army base that was set up for communications. There was a portable toilet and an amusing sign..

A very good day, my Land Rover was so full of dust I power washed the interior, mine is a military spec and has no carpets or trimmings.

Last edited:
Very cool pics...i also enjoy 1:1 off roading...i've never gone on a actual trail ride looks like a good time.

Now THAT'S how to treat a Landrover! Not this "drive it to the mall and pretend" crap that many do on this planet. Go flog it in the mud! Good for you!

That looks awesome! Haha "You better not dump in that toilet!!!"

That looks like it was a ton of fun Mondo...thanks for sharing your adventure. Can you imagine if it rained on those dirt roads how much more fun you would of had. Yeeehaww!!!

Sun, dust & mud

Thanks guys.
Strangely enough Land Rover owners are very similar to RC guys, always looking for something to climb up, over or drive through. Do it first and think of the concenquences later.. as seen in this "it was a good idea at the time" photo. Note recovery rope en route in the background

Some great pics :) But I do have a question for you on that last one. did you hit the water moving to fast and flood the engine or were you just stuck in the muddy bottom?

I hope you hit it to fast because that does not look very deep to me :)

Stuck!

Hunter,

The last photo is not my Land Rover, but that little TDi5 90 was stuck fast due to the bottom of that puddle being churned up by other Land Rovers, there was just no solid ground to provide any form of grip at all.