stubborn screw removal tip

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaker

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
we all know how frustrating it is when working on your nitro and, like most, its a allen head screw/bolt that likes to strip real easy due to the wear and tear of repairs and the use of your nitro,or from the simple allen key its self stripping the screw/bolt , well here's a tip to help reduce that from happening, take a small tourch,like a pencil tourch that you can get at your local hobby/hardware store, and heat up the head of the screw/bolt first, this will help losen the scew thus making removal much easyer, this is especialy usefull for the screws/bolts that you use lock-tite on, like your motor-mount screws, hope this tip helps, :ponder:

Did that a couple of times, it works good but the last time i did, the head of the screw twisted right off.

Just be careful when doing this for engine screws. If you accidentally drop some nitro fuel near there and use your torch, say goodbye to your car.

heat makes metal expand so i dnt understand how it makes this easier

If screws have loctite on them, the heat, I guess, loosens it up or makes it go away somehow.

just make sure your using quality hex tip drivers ( i like the ball tip ones ) i don't think I've ever stripped out a hex bolt with my Bhondus ball head hex keys. its usually the Phillips that i strip.

i always end up using the Dremel with a cut off wheel and make a slit and get it out with a flat tip screwdriver.

but they heat method i see working but i wouldn't want an open flame anywhere near my OS .18 TM.... just in case lol

No joke! I use a set I bought at auro zone for like 13 bucks. theey look like pens it come with 6 bits for hex, flat and phillps, and also 7 star. There awesome and i can get them anywhereon the trucks and i never strip.

Just be careful when doing this for engine screws. If you accidentally drop some nitro fuel near there and use your torch, say goodbye to your car.

lol not good!!!!
oh and if ur lookin 4 a torch harbor freight sells them thats where i got mine
:flamer:

i use my dremel also with the cut off disc and make a notch for a flat head screw driver.

works very good.

Man I saw this title and I thought it was a cure for when your girlfriend says "not tonight, I have a headache." lol

Back