strange steering prob

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercharged

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok heres the problem if i turn when i'm accelerating or rolling it turns fine but if I'm braking and try to turn the wheels stay straight until i release the brakes
i'v had this prob before just can't remember how i fixed it
any ideas
thanks in advance

I would check the steering linkages, there has to be binding somewhere that is not allowing the linkages not to move. Do you have the standard savage steering or the cam type servo set up? SIlly question,..... are your RX batteries good or charged???

batteries are good
linkages are fine
cam type i'v tightend it up a bit to see if it helps but havent had chance to test it

If you are running a high torque servo for throttle/brake make sure you have the EPA set right. If the brake servo is fighting to get to infinity then there might not be enough power to turn the wheels.

Clintd said:
If you are running a high torque servo for throttle/brake make sure you have the EPA set right. If the brake servo is fighting to get to infinity then there might not be enough power to turn the wheels.

Dang good point. I just had that problem with my SP1. I forgot to check the EPA on the T/B as I was not getting any brake. DUH!!! adjusted and low and behold it worked.

don't run digi servos
just a 645mg and futaba s3004 T/b

Just wondering. If you are a standstill, when you give it brakes do they still not turn? Or if you set it on a block and give it brake, still no turn?

I'm stumped as to how the two are related, frankly. Be interested in hearing how this one turns out.

they turn fine at a standstill or on a block with the brakes on

Maybe the suspension is causing it to bind up. Try pushing up on it with a couple of blocks of wood and see if you can spot the problem.

I noticed this happen when i added a thicker diff oil in the front. When it is turning, the inner and outer wheel turn different speeds. With a thicker oil or high traction surface, braking will cause the wheels to try to turn the same speed, Hence the truck wanting to "straighten out." This is when I upgraded my steering servo to a 645, helped out a lot.

Just my thoughts...

supersavage said:
I noticed this happen when i added a thicker diff oil in the front. When it is turning, the inner and outer wheel turn different speeds. With a thicker oil or high traction surface, braking will cause the wheels to try to turn the same speed, Hence the truck wanting to "straighten out." This is when I upgraded my steering servo to a 645, helped out a lot.

Just my thoughts...

i doubt its the oil because it was working fine then the problem started i'm wondering if its the servo horn getting worn and its skipping a few teeth
does any one know an alum servo horn for a hitec servo where the teeth are metal not a plastic insert

EDIT preferably available at modelsport.co.uk or other uk site

Last edited:
I doubt it's you servo horn skiping. If it was you're center would be different.
(it would stay to left or right)

Are your TVP's straight? What about the servo saver?

tvp's are straight servo saver looks in good working order

i'm gonna get a new servo arm and see

I mentioned oil because it too will affect each tire turning different speeds. Mine was fine on dirt, but on pavement (better traction), it would straighten out like you mention. It does sound like a low power problem.

I'm thinking you need a new steering servo and tighten up the servo saver a bit. The stock steering servo can't really turn the wheels from a standstill, you have to be going a bit.

When you brake, the truck generally leans forward putting most of its weight on the front. This would cause it to be even harder to turn?

redhatman said:
The stock steering servo can't really turn the wheels from a standstill

erm he has a 645 for steering:smart:

i think i may have sorted it now however i only tested it by pushing it along steering then braking
it was possibly one of the following:
pinched wire
bad servo bearing the part that keeps the balls in place had come out and may have been binding

Back