Starting problems after a run.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beddo

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I've got a TRX 3.3 running on 25% fuel. When the truck is cold it seems to start ok, but after I run through a tank and stop it for a refuel, it takes for ever to restart. Its the same for every tank.
I've checked my glow starter and its fine.
The tune is good, the engine runs really well, maybe everso slightly rich but not massivley so.

The plugs I've tried are the Traxxas 3232 and the OS LC3, same issues with them both (although the truck seems to run better on the OS plug)

If I drip some fuel into the air filter intake, the engine sounds like it might start, but never properly fire up, so I'm wondering if it isnt getting enough fuel?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll be watching this thread. I'm having the same problem using 20% Byron's fuel.

When you tuned the truck was the engine warmed up or was it cold? When you tuned it did you use a temp gun or pay it by ear and performance?

I have found that many engines even when tuned properly do not like to start when hot. As soon as the engine stalls, the carb heats up quickly due to the fuel/air going through it no longer cooling it. So, as the fuel enters the carb when you prime it after the engine shuts off, it tends to boil, which won't let enough into the engine to start and get the air/fuel flowing again.

If you hold the throttle WOT while starting, then let off as soon as it starts, I've found that you can get them to start much easier that way when hot.

Although... the TRX engines run a composite carb, so that problem shouldn't be as prevalent as engines with alloy carbs.

As hpiluther01 asks, what are your engine temps?

^^^+1 Awsome tip i have the same problem with everyone of my nitro engines its normal

Its the fuel tank design guys on the T Maxx ...........The gravity pressure of the fuel floods the carb when sitting after being refueled or sitting and trying to be restarted because the easy starter can't catch up and fire the glowplug enough due to the over abundance of fuel short of hydrolocking it up.On other types of tanks the tank pressure left in the tank will push the fuel into the engine aswell as tanks that sit directly in the sun.The sun heats up the fuel creating pressure.Hot asphalt attributes to this also.........try using the fuel pinch clip between refuelings plus keeping it in the shade as much as possible when it sits.... when it becomes hard to start unplug the glowplug tether and snap on a regular glow stick and clean-off the fuel thats fouling up the coils.Itll start right-up because the easy starter wand doesn't start to make the plug glow until after the engine is rotating also making sure your throttle servo is shutting off all the way after the car is shut off will help but using the pinch clip works the best...

At first start-up of the day I find my 3.3 T Maxx starts up faster when I prime the engine by plugging the exhaust port for 3-5 seconds while cranking..When I pull my thumb off it usually fires right up....

Last edited: