starting car with battery drill

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
my pull start keeps breaking and pissing me off. will it harm my engine if i leave the pull start off and use the one way bearing and a battery drill to start it, I dont wont to spend anymore money on it! just want to know if it will harm it?

I've done it, it works well. Just make sure your drill spins fast enough and that you're turning it in the right direction...

And be sure the clutch setting on the drill is set to slip. If the engine locks up for some reason, you might break something.

how do u set the clutch setting to slip and what could break

how do u set the clutch setting to slip and what could break

You set the torque clutch by the numbers near the drill's chuck.
DCD980L2_1.jpg

If the engine locks up & your drill is set to too high a torque setting you could split the con rod or crack the piston by forcing it.

If you want simple easy answer....Don't do it.
Here is a really big problem....by leaving the backplate off and open like that you are inviting all sorts of dust, dirt and grime into your engine. If you run with ANY dust your engine is not going to last long at all. I would NOT recommend going that route. Get a roto-start back plate and shaft. Yes you can use a drill but set the clutch down to a fairly low setting. If your engine gets hydro locked with fuel it's hard on everything to try and force it over. Since a drill has a ton more torque than the pull start or a roto start you stand a chance of stressing the conrod and everything else in the engine.

I have use a OWB mounted in a socket on a flexible shaft many times and never had an issue with dirt/dust getting in an engine through the backplate starter shaft bushing.

DSC06099.gif

DSC06100.gif

I do recommend a light drill clutch setting though.