Starter box issues.............

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simple83

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
:angry:

got my starter box today........... charged the batteries etc etc......lined up the wheel on the box with the fly wheel.......... i pressed my buggy down to activate the starter box and the box worked but it wasn't strugglin to turn the flywheel...... it kicked over the motor eventually but in the process it has worn the rubber wheel out a fair bit already......... it kicked over the motor twice but i couldnt get it to go a third time..........the rubber wheel just rubbed on the flywheel but wouldnt kick the motor over....... i took out the glow plug and hey presto, it would turn the motor over with ease but as soon as i put my glow plug back in....... NOTHIN!!!!!!!!!!! wouldn kick the motor over...............VERY FRUSTRATING INDEED....:angry:.... cos my buggy has spent more time off the road then on.......:\

can anyone shed some light on what the problem I'm having may be??????
why will it kick the motor over without the glow plug but when i put it back in, it just wears out the rubber wheel on the starter box????

i thought starter boxes were meant to make it easier........ or am i just SIMPLE as my name says..........LOL :hehe:

what exact brand of starter box did you get?

How old is your motor? If youve only had say 4-5 tanks through it, then its still pretty new and the pinch will be tight. Heat the motor up to around 180f and then try it on the box.
Another thing to try is to slightly loosen the glow plug. This reduces the compression a little but will still let you start the motor. As soon as its running, tighten up the plug.

The pinch/tight motor will loosen up after around a gallon has been through it.

X2, could not have said it better myself.

the box is a fusion from caster racing which is the brand of my car..... I've done the whol run in process so id say its had atleast 10-12 tanks through the motor....I've had it for about 2 months but spent alot of time off the road........
what do you mean that the pinch will be tight matrix????
ill have to give it a go n loosen the glow plug........ and see how we go.........
thanx heaps for your info/help matrix............

the box is a fusion from caster racing which is the brand of my car..... I've done the whol run in process so id say its had atleast 10-12 tanks through the motor....I've had it for about 2 months but spent alot of time off the road........
what do you mean that the pinch will be tight matrix????
ill have to give it a go n loosen the glow plug........ and see how we go.........
thanx heaps for your info/help matrix............

Yeah that motor in the starter box should have enough power. What battery's are you using, how many Mah? it will have a number on them.

Watch this vid to see what pinch is. Its what seal off the chamber to compress the fuel for ignition.

you need to go through 20+ tanks to really get the piston and cylinder mated in.

I would be trying the hair dryer on it first, you'll be amazed at how much it frees it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
because the motor is still new it still has a lot of compression and needs to be warmed up so that all the parts start to expand letting them move more freely.

use a hair dryer or a heat gun to warm the head of the engine and then give it a try...
u should only need to do this when you first start it and if the engine is still warm from running it when u go to run it again then it should turn over a bit easier :)

I'm usin 2x1800mAH batteries in the starter box.............. even when the motor is hot, its struggles to start using the starter box......... it was runnin about 120 degrees celsius... and its stalled but i couldnt get it started again usin the box....... it just kept burnin rubber on the starter box wheel.......
where do i aim the hair dryer? just onto the engine head or all over the engine???

I'm usin 2x1800mAH batteries in the starter box.............. even when the motor is hot, its struggles to start using the starter box......... it was runnin about 120 degrees celsius... and its stalled but i couldnt get it started again usin the box....... it just kept burnin rubber on the starter box wheel.......
where do i aim the hair dryer? just onto the engine head or all over the engine???

at the bottom of the engine head i would presume... i haven't had to use a hair dryer to heat my engine as i live in australia where it is a little bit warmer here :)

1800 mah isnt much power for the box. They are probably OK when fully charged, but their power will drop off quickly. My starter box uses 2 of the same motors you have in yours and I use 3800mah batteries. It starts anything.:D

Another thing to check is to make sure 100% the rubber starter wheel is actually making full contact with the flywheel on the motor and not rubbing part of the buggy chassis. That could be what is burning rubber.

i live in australia aswell solly so didnt think i would have that problem either........
I'm usin 2 1800mAH on the box matrix. therefor its 3600mAH to the starter box motor......is this not enough????...... guy at LHS said it would be good to go..... the starter box wheel is in full contact with the flywheel but still had troubles kickin over the motor......

i live in australia aswell solly so didnt think i would have that problem either........
I'm usin 2 1800mAH on the box matrix. therefor its 3600mAH to the starter box motor......is this not enough????...... guy at LHS said it would be good to go..... the starter box wheel is in full contact with the flywheel but still had troubles kickin over the motor......

they would be fine with a motor thats well over the break in stage and will be just ok for a new motor, but only when fully charged. My starter box uses twin 775 motors and 2 3800mah NiMh batteries, so its basically has more than twice the grunt of yours. Still, yours should do the job.

What are you charging the batteries with?

Have you taken the time to set up the posts on the box so that every time you put the buggy on it, the starter wheels lines up perfectly with the flywheel?

Last edited:
at u mean ur box has twin motors????? I'm chargin them with a venom charger... which has 1.8 or 0.9 charge... I'm suin the 1.8 for faster charge....... I'm hopin mine does the job cos the guy from LHS said it would be good to go......
i dunno how to set it up perfectly cos i can't move the back posts but when i have put my buggy onto box I've looked underneath n look ryt onto the flywheel makin contact with the rubber wheel on the starter box....and I'm also missin a part for the front bracket to sit the buggy on from the box....LHS is posting the piece to me... but I'm watchin the rubber wheel just spin on the flywheel n burn rubber n not kick over the flywheel............. its just burnin the boxes rubber wheel n destroyin the wheel on me. URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

at u mean ur box has twin motors????? I'm chargin them with a venom charger... which has 1.8 or 0.9 charge... I'm suin the 1.8 for faster charge....... I'm hopin mine does the job cos the guy from LHS said it would be good to go......
i dunno how to set it up perfectly cos i can't move the back posts but when i have put my buggy onto box I've looked underneath n look ryt onto the flywheel makin contact with the rubber wheel on the starter box....and I'm also missin a part for the front bracket to sit the buggy on from the box....LHS is posting the piece to me... but I'm watchin the rubber wheel just spin on the flywheel n burn rubber n not kick over the flywheel............. its just burnin the boxes rubber wheel n destroyin the wheel on me. URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

yes mine has twin 775 motors, its this one. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/12542

Are you in melbourne? If you're close enough you can bring the lot over and I'll get it started for ya.

ohh ok sorry about that most members are from over seas... well i thought anyways
were about in australia are you from?

for the first time in my life matrix i wish i was in melbourne but I'm not..... I'm from sydney mate but otherwise id be gettin ur help for sure.......

for some reason solly..... it doesn't say in my details where I'm from but yeh I'm from sydney..... how do i get it to show that I'm from sydney?????

Last edited:
for the first time in my life matrix i wish i was in melbourne but I'm not..... I'm from sydney mate but otherwise id be gettin ur help for sure.......

for some reason solly..... it doesn't say in my details where I'm from but yeh I'm from sydney.....

ohh ok was hoping that you were from SA.
Kinda looking for someone close that i can run with because atm I'm running by myself :(

nuh man sorry about that solly.....I'm runnin with my gf brother but he is havin as much luck as me......... his buggy is off the road more then on the road just like mine..... but if I'm ever goin to venture into SA ill be in contact with you man..... you got any good running grounds nearby?????

nuh man sorry about that solly.....I'm runnin with my gf brother but he is havin as much luck as me......... his buggy is off the road more then on the road just like mine..... but if I'm ever goin to venture into SA ill be in contact with you man..... you got any good running grounds nearby?????

atm i have a track that i built in my backyard... no jumps or anything but its alright

I'm about to move to Pt.Lincon where i hear that they have a track so yea not to sure about it but i will deff be posting pics of it

What about urself?

for the first time in my life matrix i wish i was in melbourne but I'm not.....

surely not, you know you've always wanted to live in Melbourne..lol.

Something else that could be a problem is flooding. Usually they come from the factory set quite rich. When these motors flood, they lock up so that the it wont turn over at all. That could also be whats happening. Remove the glow plug and turn the buggy upside down and spin the flywheel with the starter motor (if you can manage it) and this will pump all of the excess fuel out of the motor.

After youve done that and put the glow plug back in (preferably a new one) and lean out both the high and low speed needles. 1/4 turn clockwise for each.

Charge your batteries over night. Also charge your glow plug igniter.

Then try and start it with glow plug loosened a little.

this is me at a track up in bendigo during the week. My buggy is just a 1/8 HSP bazooka...still, it goes well. Watch how easily it starts on the starter box Simple83.:hehe:

Last edited by a moderator: