Starter Box Batts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSantana

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone,

Well, I FINALLY got a couple of hours to fool around with the rides the other day so here I go getting everything together when *BAM* the 12V lead batt for my starter box that I was charging overnight didn't accept any charge! After about 10 minutes of cursing and throwing a fit in my r/c room I wondered "why the heck did my starter batt die out so fast....I only charged and used it once since i've had it"? It was all connected correctly because I checked my on board display and it was receiving power it just didn't keep any...so here's my question: Do you guys think I should buy another power brick or does using two stick packs work just as good? I've got a few just lying around and wouldn't mind having to charge them every day that I use them....is there any downfall to the sticks (do they die out too fast, not enough power, etc)? Thanks for your time and help.

:classic:

I haven't had a problem with the brick I have in my box.

I use the Hobbico Batt.

They are pretty cheap so I would just get another one. I have never used 2 stick packs so I can't compare. I would think you would need to get some high capacity NiMH packs so you don't run out of juice during the day.

I know Sweetdiesel uses stick packs in his box. You should PM him and ask him about it.

I ran sticks in my starter box for my NTC3 when I had it. They did fine for that. If your running bigger stuff, I'd stick with gell cells. Running an Ofna King (chrome top) to start a Nova and the gell has all the juice to go for a weekend of racing, sticks won't make that.

get a 12V power supply and extension cord....or use a car battery with some wires connected to the charge plugs on your box......I got fed up w/ having batts die too and it may be a lil more pain to lug out but damn if I have zero battery failure on my box.....

I have two starterboxes, the mugen box with stick packs powering two 540 motors and the blue ofna chrome top with a gel cell powering a large 12V motor. Pros of the stick pack box is that it is lightweight and compact, making it much easier to lug around. I use 3000mah packs in mine and keep a spare set on hand in case they die. A pair of packs last about an afternnoon worth of bashing as long as your engine is broken in and the motors aren't pushed too hard. During engine break in they would last about three tanks until they would need to be recharged. Powerwise it doesn't have the torque of the ofna box, but once your engine is broken in it's not really an issue. Costwise, a decent pair of stick packs cost twice as much as a single 12V gel cell.

The biggest gain on using a pair of 7.2V stick packs gives you more torque due to the 14.4V, which is ideal for tight compression. Only draw back is that they have a fast drop off. Using a 12V gell cell or a a 12 v car battery gives you more of a consistent use power.

Nino, when ever you get back into town, give me a call. I have an extra battery you're more than welcome to have.

-J

awesome, thanks. i'll definitly give you a call when i head up there

NSantana said:
....."why the heck did my starter batt die out so fast....I only charged and used it once since i've had it"? ....

What are you using to charge it, what voltage and what amp rate? My 7A gel cell is almost 2 years old, just gave it another kick today and it's still cranking . . . I use a low voltage float charger.

I use the Mugen box with 2 x 3000 nimh and used it to break in my WS7 x3 without any issues whatsoever. I can also go 2 and sometimes 3 meetings without charging them.

I'd never use a 12v lump and lead. Too much to lug around. Especially if your bashing.

There is a better option than the twin stick packs and the 12 volt gell cell, in terms of weight, runtime, and power, but its costly.

I found a site that sells 10,000mAh D cell batteries. You could solder up 12 cells for around 80 bucks. Its expensive, but you get 3000mAh longer runtime than the big gell cell, more current output than a gell cell and the same or better than the stick packs, and lighter weight than the gell cell by almost 2lb. Probably overkill unless you are a paid racer, but the option exists.

loose cells:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=709