Stalling Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeKoch

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've just broken in my new piston/sleeve. It runs fine on idle but when ever it goes into full throttle it just stalls. It stalls right after it hits second gear or right before. I've tried richening the hsn but its as rich as possible. Even with it being that rich it is still in the 220-240 range. I've also noticed some air bubbles in the fuel line. could this be the cause?

There could be some kind of an air leak somewhere causing it to stall

Ya need to find out where that fuels coming from. It's probably the source of your problem. Then start at factory settings again.

Maybe you can start it and see where it's spitting out

I didnt run it yet but i cleaned it up. It lookes like most of the fuel is around the engine and carb. Could the carb have a crack in it or be loose that could cause this?

I'm not exacly sure but I do know a lot of people have to seal there carb around the neck I think. I know you could do a search for how to do it.

i had the same problem in my revo. it was leaking from underneath the HSN.

i called traxxas today and they are sending one to me for free !

anyways its deff your carb. make sure your hsn is tightened, but dont overtighten or it will strip the thred on those cheap plastic carbs.

It could also be the engine front bearings. When they go bad they will suck air and blow fuel out the bearing seal. Any time you rebuild an engine you should replace the bearings too. Think about how many rpms these traxxas engines turn, those bearings only last 2-3 gallons tops.

It might be the bearing. I started running it today and right when i applied any trottle it just stalling. I checked the temp and it was running around 300 so i shut it off. That is pretty high for a .16 engine. if it is the bearing how do i check this.

Sounds similar to an issue i had.

THE BEST advice, is to RESET to factory settings on the HSN and LSN and retune from there.

Factory settings For carb needle valves

HSN = 4 turns out from fully closed
LSN = 1.5 turns in from flush. (someone correct me if i am wrong, but this works fine on my revo engine as a base setting)

i will try but i dont think it has to do with the tune because even with it as rich as possible it will almost reach 300 on idle.

*I've got it running good now but it still wants to stall at full throttle. I will see if my friend can come over some time to look at it.

Last edited:
what % fuel are you running, what glowe plug and what is the weather like when u run ?? these are all factors to look at when you run. you may also need to check that your temp gun is accurate.

You know the temp of boiling water ? right ?> well, boil you kettle and once it Is boiled, aim your temp gun at the water. it should read around 212F. if it is higher, u know your temp gun is out.

That said, my revo seems happy at 265 - 275 depending on the weather, glow plug and fuel combo.

Also, check all the exhaust seals. carb seals and engine backplate for an airleak or damage.

Richen the low, lean the high. First fix that massive air leak it must have, wherever it is.

I Havent been able to look at my car lately so i decided to take a closer look. I tried to run it and it still stalled. I tried a couple things and i think the exhaust pipe isnt putting enough pressure through the lines to keep up with the engine. Could this be the problem and if so how could i fix this?

Are you running a fuel filter?If not you may have a piece of sand in the carb ....If so your filter maybe causing a restriction....That happened to me....The cheapo fuelfilter I was using was slowing up my fuel flow causing problems similar to yours...........

Back