Spurgear question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gettinintoit

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
as you guys know, i put in the 2 speed in my S-maxx. I went to the hobby shop and got a 70 tooth and a 72 tooth spur gear. I put the 70 tooth in my truck and after about 3 trips down the street and back I chewed it up. I then put the 72 tooth in and it worked perfect...Did I miss something?

Sounds like you just had a bad mesh on the first one.

It appeared to be smaller in diameter and didnt mesh up. My question is there anything I did wrong, was there an adjustment i should have made?

did you loosen your motor to get the gear off? i redid my bulkhead, had to take the engine out, put it all back together and then I stripped the gear in about 30 minutes. i found a great link on traxxas' website how to realigne, also there is a post here about useing a strip of paper. put spur gear in the search.

I had the tranny out when i changed the spur gear so that is how i got to it. I didnt think I had to do anything to the engine to change the spur gear.

Originally posted by gettinintoit
It appeared to be smaller in diameter and didnt mesh up. My question is there anything I did wrong, was there an adjustment i should have made?

You should have adjusted the gear mesh to suit the new spur. In fact, whenever you remove the spur gear, you should check the mesh and adjust as necessary after you re-install it. Better safe than sorry.

You needed to have meshed the spur and clutch bell properly. Take a piece of plastic like a part came in. Fit b/t the two gears and then slide your engine over. Tighten motor mts. down. Pull plastic out from gears. Check and make sure they are not too tight.

Thats what I do to check mesh.

Everyone here has hit the nail on the head. Any time you mess with your spur gear: removal, adjustment, tranny work, etc. You want to check the mesh. The same can be said for any work you do on the engine. Bottom line is that you need to check the mesh for proper setting anytime you play with the drivetrain (in this case that includes the engine).

Here is how I set my mesh:
"From another SkyMaxx post"

Setting gear mesh is very important to the longevity of both gears and the components driving and being driven by the gears.

Here's how to do the mesh check.
1. Loosen the screws that hold the motor mounts to the chassis plate (don't take them all the way out).

2. Make sure you have both spur gear and clutch gear on properly (since you've mounted the spur and the clutch is attached to the motor, you probably have little to worry about here).

3. Take the plastic bag that the spur gear came in (a ziploc bag will work just as well) and place one thickness of the plastic between the two gears.

4. Push the motor back into place so that the two gear compress on the plastic.

5. Tighten the motor mount screws (making sure that the motor mounts are as square to the chassis as possible...you want the gears to have as even a surface to surface contact as possible).

6. Pull the bag out. The gears should rotate freely and mesh together just right.

Hope this helps...

Back