Spektrum DX 3.0 range problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I got a good deal on Ebay for 2 receivers -so i did not contact Horizon after all...year i know...lazy me.

But the fact is that i still think that range is a problem. On our track, we have several fairly large jums - like + 4 feet - and if the car turns over and land just on the other side of one of these jumps, there is no connection...even though we are only like 40 feet away with the transmitter..
2 times i tried this and even the fail safe function did not occour - ie engine was reving like crazy untill it - luckily - run out of fuel ( upside down ). Fail safe of course entered as: no throtle - full brake when binding the transmitter and the receiver...not very nice.

Finally - my son - Mikkel 9 years - when he drives he turns the transmitter to a horizontal level since he turns the car with his right hand and trotle - brake with his left. Ie the transmitter antenna is laying horizontal - not sitting straight up - and range really sucks unless he stands up high - like in the driving tower ( like 9 feet up ). When he just stands on the ground ( he is like 5 feet tall ) car is out of range just getting on the other side of a jump or if we get out of the track an into some high grass. Distance no more than 90 feet.

This is of course with fully charged transmitter and receiver batteries. Receiver battery is a 6 V 1600 Mah hump pack. Receiver antenna sitting straight up in the car and has not been cut down in size.

As i mentioned, i bought 2 receivers ( since i am getting a Spektrum for my own car as well ), and its the same with both receivers. Antenna wire going out on the top lid of the receiver box. Soldering seems ok to me - only its very, very tiny and diffecult to see :)

I dont understand this...i dont expect this kind of range problems with a relatively expensive radio set, and for sure i will contact Horizon in England. But what experiences do you guys have with the DX 3,0 ? I mean - it would be a disaster to use this radio system for an airplane or a heli !!

Anybody interested in a joint contact to the manufactor ?. I will for sure make and send the letter - but if we could get like 10 or 20 more people to sign up the complaint, we might stand stronger - know what i mean ?

Take care out there
Best regards from Denmark
Niels

Last edited:
Back