Spektrum DX 3.0 range problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vangsoe

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi Guys,
I just bought a Spektrum DX 3,0 for my sons nitro car.
The thing wont work beside like 30 meters !.
Batteries are all charged up of course - but the car hit the fail safe at around the 30 meters...the old 25 Mhz china stuff he had before worked way better than this.
I use 4 x AA 2,000 mha rechargeble as receiver batteries ( good quality, brand new ) - around 6,2 volts fully charged.

Is the voltage my problem ? Should i go for a 5 cell hump pack ?
Tks for your input

If I were to hazzard a guess I would say it is more of an antenna problem. Could be the transmitter antenna has a loose wire. Do you have your receiver antenna outside or inside the body? Voltage should be okay, but amperage could affect the range somewhat. But, being an amature radio operator, my experience with range issues is most often a bad ground or a weak connection. Good luck!

6V's fully charged doesn't last very long when under load. Rechargeable AA cells are only 1.2V per cell, so you need 5 to make a solid 6V when under load. Voltage is what gives a radio range since the current draw is minimal. Servos require higher current, but 2000Mah is plenty in that department.

40 yards does seem awfully short...

I just bought a used DX3.0 off ebay and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I had been fighting glitchiness for years with many different brands/types of radio systems. I used to have a 75-80 yard limit for range before my FS would kick in. With the DX3.0, I can drive until I can no longer see or hear my rigs! All 3 of them worked flawlessly.

Just a thought, have you tried to rebind the transmitter and receiver?
Have you tried 4 Alkaline cells? They are 1.5V each, so 4 makes 6V's. Might be worth trying just to rule out the 4 cell NiMH AA issue. Alkaline's don't have near the Mah or peak current capacity, but they will work well enough and long enough for you to narrow down your issue.

Hi guys,

Appriciate your input here.

The antenna is sitting straight up. When body is fitted, its only like 1 inch above the body. Antenna wire is sitting in a normal antenna tube.
If wire is loose, it must be inside the transmitter or receiver itselve. Should it really be necessary to open up these two - brand new items - to check this ?
If voltage means range, i guess the best for me would be to go for a 5 pc hump pack ( or what is it called ).
Would like 1,500 mah be enough ?
I will give it a go with 4 Duracell Alkalines and re-bind the transmitter and receiver. Will keep you posted.
Tks again
Niels

One inch or one foot (12 inches)? An inch about the roofline might be okay if it is a tall body, but one inch above where it comes out of the hood wouldn't be.

I think checking the antennas is important. I have a Losi LST with four servos and have not had issues running my receiver off four AA cells. There could be a pinch in the receiver antenna or a short or ground issue in the transmitter. Since you say all was well before the new transmitter I would look at its antenna first. Unless, of course, you put in a new receiver at the same time...

I don't think the issue has to do with the antenna length or position. I run all my spekrum antennas underneath the body, sometimes even folded over and stuffed into the radio box and have no issues with range.

I would open up the RX case and see if the antenna has a bad solder joint. If opening the case doesn't reveal anything peculiar, I'd shoot an email over to Spektrum. Their customer service is excellent.

Also do you know anyone with a second RX to check and see if it's a possible problem with your transmitter and not the receiver?

I don't think the issue has to do with the antenna length or position. I run all my spekrum antennas underneath the body, sometimes even folded over and stuffed into the radio box and have no issues with range.

I would open up the RX case and see if the antenna has a bad solder joint. If opening the case doesn't reveal anything peculiar, I'd shoot an email over to Spektrum. Their customer service is excellent.

Also do you know anyone with a second RX to check and see if it's a possible problem with your transmitter and not the receiver?

I have to agree--an antenna issue has been my guess all along. Good luck with it!:D

Last edited:
It's the batteries, Spektrum recievers need good 1100mah or higher Nimh packs to operate properly. I have never seen a Spektrum system work well with AA's or Nicd packs. Put a good 5 cell pack in it and it will most likely solve the problem.

I'm with scrogg i use my dx3.0 with a hump pack in my savy and works great until i have low power. then i have a short range

I found this under an old thread, don't know that it is relevant or not...

Originally Posted by spectrum
Simple Fix for Module "Shut Down" Issue
11/02/05

A few of our customers are experiencing a “shut down” condition with their Spektrum module systems. A “shut down” can occur in a hard crash, or while running in a specific area of the track. It is characterized by a loss of power to the servos. To reactivate the system, it is necessary to turn the receiver off, and then back on again to resume normal operation. Shut downs are most prevalent when racing on carpet due to static electricity, however they can also occur on any surface during a hard crash.

This issue is not a related to DSM technology, but is a result of an improperly routed antenna inside the transmitter, which causes a compromised link quality. If you’ve experienced a “shut down”, please return your transmitter module to Spektrum’s service center for quick repair, which involves installing a new, longer internal antenna wire with the correct routing. While this issue affects relatively few modules, you can easily check your transmitter module to determine if your system has the proper routing - refer to the instructions below.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We are committed to achieving perfect reliability and your total satisfaction with Spektrum products.

HOW TO CHECK YOUR TRANSMITTER MODULE

Using a Phillips screwdriver carefully remove the case from your module and examine the antenna connection to the board:
Correct

Note the antenna coax is routed under the main radio board.

Incorrect

The antenna coax is routed over the board in close proximity to power capacitors and IC’s compromising signal integrity. Please return to Spektrum for service. In the case of Futaba Hitec modules, a longer antenna wire will be needed.

Hi guys,
Much appriciate your input here.
The antenna wire is only a total 8 inch long. I took the lid of the receiver, and the solding looks fine. There is no coax since its just a single wire with no shield ( or what you call it ). This is what it looks like:

I will try later today simply with a 5 cell bat pack.
Tks again
Niels

Attachments

• spektrummodtantenne26.8.08.gif
    spektrummodtantenne26.8.08.gif
    160.5 KB · Views: 272
Since yours is using the top hole (like all three of mine) vs the hole in the side, the note about the antenna running across the board doesn't apply I don't believe.

I'll be curious if the 5 cell pack cures it. Please don't leave us hanging if it does!

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply - i had to take care of a customer.
Life sure would be nice if we did not have to go to work but could consentrate on our hobbies 24/7 :D

Anyway - yesterday we did some testing

I fitted a 1500 mah 5 cell receiver pack - brand new fully charges voltage 6,61
Transmitter fitted with 8 pc 2000 mah Sanoy Eneloop - voltage 11,06 - also brand new

Out of 3 range tests - in a straigh line - the avarage distance was 53 meters - thats about 57 yards or 174 feet - before car was out of range and engaged the fail safe.

I still think this is waaay to short a range for a 2,4 mhz - mid end quality / price - radio system. There is no way i could use this for an airplane :)

We tried my sons old 25 mhz china radio, and it work fine for over 100 meters.

Any other suggestions guys ?

Sweetdiesel - can you provide me with an emailadress for Spektrum service-department ?. I bought mine with a German distributor - but he knows nothing about the tecnical details.

Tks again - and have a bashing week-end

Niels

You should be getting a lot more range out of that. I am still betting on the problem being an antenna issue. Since you took apart the receiver and it checked out there is more than likely either a grounding issue or a bad power lead issue with that transmitter. I wish you luck--please let us know how it turns out?

Hi guys,
I got hold of another receiver. Binded it to our transmitter - and now we have contact way above 200 meters - same car, same batteries etc.
So - obviously there is something wrong with my receiving unit.

Anybody got some contact details for the Spektrum manufactor ?
As i said - i bought mine off a German whole-sale dealer who is not an authorized Spektrum dealer.
Tks again guys
Niels

Glad you were able to get ahold of another receiver. I will bet my last kid that there is SOMETHING wrong with that antenna...

I am on my PDA this morning but as soon as I am in front of my PC tonight I will see if I can track down some contact info for you.

Cheers,
Cody

Apparently Spektrum is a division of, and serviced by, Horizon Hobby. Email for product support is [email protected] and their number is 877-504-0233.

I have yet to find anyone in your area that is an authorized distributor. Sorry.

Hope this helps,
Cody

Last edited:
Glad to hear you narrowed your issue down. Sucks that it's the receiver. Let us know what horizon says. From what I've read elsewhere, their support is pretty good.

Tks guys - much appriciated.
Will keep you posted.
Best regards from Denmark

Niels

i just got a dx3.0 radio system and I'm having the same problem as you my lhs said reposition the antenna i have tried every way i could even straight up and i get bout 100ft of range no matter what i do with the antenna and it has brand new battery packs in controller and in the car guess i need to call spektrum

Back