Silicone diff oil changeout

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannarunem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Today i received 5/7/1 silicone diff oil for the Gs Storm. I know there are threads on this (I READ EM!!), but if anyone knows a website that SHOWS..EXPLAINS.. on how to change this stuff out...please lemme know. RCNT has given me direction on where to start, but i would like a little more insight. I have searched the net till i was blue in the face, but nothing worth firing up the printer for future reference. If you know of a site that i may be interested in..PLEASE POST HERE!!!

Looking for more info on the entire process...as well on shimming the gears or not. Thats still unclear.

And of course advise..comments...do's and dont's are welcome to!

Thanks!!!!!

PLEASE POST HERE!!!

Well I can tell you I did.
Pull the difs out and disassemble. Clean out all the black grease, wich probably isn't there anymore. Start reassembling the diff. when you get the spiders in, fill it with oil up to the shaft on the spiders. I hope this helps. Also you need to refill it after time.

Good Luck
Darin Gray

isn't there a tech support line you can call in regards to your GS storm buggy ? I'm sure if you get someone on the phone at GS ( general silicon ), they should be able to help you. Goodluck.

yup. i found one through GS that explains a lot..thanks

DA will work good to clean out the grease..or whats left of it?

Last edited:
thats the link i was referring to. I stumbled across it in a different thread. I meant to paste it in my last post..but forgot.

Its awesome!!!

I have my differ's torn down now...will finish tomorrow evening.

Originally posted by wannarunem

yep. don't forget to roll the o-rings and gaskets in some silicone oil before putting them in again though; because as well as cleaning them, DA will also dry them out.

wannarunem - pay close attention to where the shims are during disassemble and put them back in exactly the same position. Make sure that you only fill the diffs up to the cross pins. This will be obvious when you open them up. Props to VenomousRC for bringing it up already. I've done my Storm diffs a few times and the only areas that will jump up and bite you later is not paying attention to the shims and installing the diffs in backwards. Other than that, it's fairly straight forward. Just take your time and make notes if you need to. Nothing wrong with a few comments and pictures on some paper to help you down the road.

yes, that is a great resource for Storm owners. It's great to find guides like that on the net that aren't full of opinions and useless writeups "just the facts". My Ofna has decent schematics, but I end up makin my own step by step :loser:

good diff oil info
100,000 rocks

and watch out for these:
Mysterious O-ring storm diff

wiita

Diff oil... now I'm confused...

Originally posted by wiita

good diff oil info
100,000 rocks

wiita

OK, I followed this link to the thread in Feb. At first I wasn't sure about the numbering differences in diff oil, now I'm really confused. When these guys talk about using 50,000/100,000/30,000 in their diffs, is that basically the same as 5,000/10,000/3,000 - or as guys commonly shorten to 5/10/3, or are they actually increasing the diff oil by 10X?

Also, what is the difference between silicon diff oil and silicon shock oil?

Sorry for the stupid questions... someone please clear the mud for me...

Thanks,
John

Originally posted by wannarunem
yup. i found one through GS that explains a lot..thanks

DA? What is that?

johnsland8 - I think (guess) that the diff oil and the shock oil are the same, just very different viscosities. Where 80 weight shock oil is pretty thick for shock applications, it wouldn't be much resistance in a diff. Someone correct if wrong. With all this talk of diff oils, I started out using 3k/5k/1k and just jumped to 5k/7k/3k.
I didn't really see much of a difference, but would the jump to
the really heavier oils that Error and EP are talking about make a difference ? I wonder what the tradeoff would be with what I would think is better traction control ? More tire wear ? Extra strain on the drivetrain ?

Right military, thanks for the reply. I guess what I was trying to understand is that skymaxx basically broke it all down into tenths and if I understood correctly 3,000 wt diff oil is the same as 30,000 wt diff oil, just the mfg's/suppliers using different numbering systems - one adding another zero. And then both of those were the same viscosity as 30 wt shock oil, again, just a different numbering system. HB broke it down a little more precisely showing that it was not a linear conversion, but lets not split hairs for the sake of discussion. Basically, from what Sky said, if he is correct, is that if I wanted to run my diffs at 3,000/5,000/1,000, that would be the same as those guys running 30,000/50,000/10,000, just using different mfgs of oil. And if all that is true along with the breakdown to tenths, then if I wanted 3k/5k/1k, why couldn't I just use 30 wt/50 wt/ 10 wt shock oil??? Diff oil is $5 - $7 for .75 oz., shock oil is $3.50 (or less) for 2 oz., call me crazy... but I don't get it. Why pay so much for diff oil?????!!!!!! OR, am I just way off here??? (more likely!)

Thanks again...:hypno:

Originally posted by militarymaxx
wannarunem - pay close attention to where the shims are during disassemble and put them back in exactly the same position.

Right...I almost didnt even notice the shims when i pulled them out cuz they were stuck to the side of the bearing. They could be very easily forgotten about upon reassembling.

I'm glad you pointed that out!!

Hold on, stop the presses. I'm either not following what you said that Sky said, or I'm totally confused. I understand it to be that
3000 wt diff oil is NOT the same as 30,000 wt diff oil. Unless someone can clear this up I believe that there is a 1000 wt oil
(also refered to as 1K), a 10,000 wt diff oil and a 100,000 wt diff oil and each of them is completely different. I've never heard of mfg's numbering system. I thought the oil weight was an industry standard.

Right, so what johnsland8 was saying or interpreting about 3,000 wt oil and 30,000 wt oil being the same is false. And just to confuse some of us some more, here is KYOSHO's own chart for
diff GREASE, not oil.

The following are the numbers, color codes and weights for the KYOSHO diff grease:

#1000 purple extra light
#3000 green light
#5000 red medium
#15000 yellow heavy
#30000 blue extra heavy

This is the heaviest diff oil I could find. (300,000 wt !!!!!)
http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/StdItemView.aspx?lookup=ASC2394&v=13

Last edited:
Back