Shock Oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semotorsports

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What is the prefered weight shock oil for backyard bashing?:)
And am I right in thinking the heavier the weight shock oil the slower the shock moves back out and the slower that it compresses?
Also has anybody tried shock oil used for mototcycles?

Thanks,

Ed
S&E Motorsports

well ur right about the heavier weight means harder to compress so YYAAY!! but its depends on what YOU like.. Some say 70 wt and some others might say 100 wt!! It all depends on how you like the truck to react but remember that if you go to high in wt means a harder landing and you could possibly start breaking stuff if the shock doesn't compress!!! JMO

Heavier shock oil will make your truck wheelie easier, and vice versa with lighter shock oil. What are you looking for your shocks to do because I find that the oil from factory is nice for bashing anywhere really.

I like how the stock shocks are out of the box on the HPI, I bought the alum. bodied shocks from HPI and I put 50 wt in them and I dont like how it lands,too hard for our bashing. So it sounds like I should go tolighter oil.
AMSOIL make shock oil 10w or 5 w .:\
Thats going from one extreme to another ,any help would be appreciated.

Ed
S&E Motorsports
S&E Raceway

I like how the stock shocks are out of the box on the HPI, I bought the alum. bodied shocks from HPI and I put 50 wt in them and I dont like how it lands,too hard for our bashing. So it sounds like I should go tolighter oil.
AMSOIL make shock oil 10w or 5 w .:\
Thats going from one extreme to another ,any help would be appreciated.

Ed
S&E Motorsports
S&E Raceway

depends if by "landing hard" your refering to bottoming out, (heavier oil needed) or if your bouncing when you land (lighter oil)

I think even 10 wt would be pushing it. I would run 25 or 30 wt, but it all depends on your bashing style.

I usually run 20 - 25 with the green springs, seems to work well for bashing. 30 would probably work nice too.
Think 10 would be way too thin and 50 too hard.

25-45wt is the safe range for the 8 shock setup. 35 is the best all around to use.