scary lipo!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Check this out, this honestly just out of the blue started smoking and caught on fire today while it was sitting on my work bench! Luckily I was in there. I noticed an offer smell and looked over there to see smoke pooring from it. I have no idea why it did it, its been sitting in the same spot for prolly 4 or 5 months.

Back into my metal box goes all my lipos now! I got out of the habit of ever storing them or even watching them while charging but better safe than sorry.

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

That's definitely some scary poop. Mine are in the basement of a wood framed house, after seeing that I think I will get a metal box myself.

I'll be putting mine back in the ammo can. I have been storing them in an extra large Plano box but not anymore.

Just curious, what brand lipo is that?

yeah guys, I've not ever worried about them but now seeing this one, just for some odd reason do that, I'm gonna be more cautious. This one could of had a loose wire or something that let it ground to the pos or something when I slammed the door or something is all I can think of.

And its a Mystery lipo Dom. Actually have been some of the best lipo's I've used on crawlers and scalers, before switching to Turnigy that is.

You were so lucky to be present at the time. I guess all those stories about lipos and spontaneous combustion wasn't BS after all.

My LiPo packs are stored in one of those Senty fire boxes.

I have also gotten in the habit of actually charging and transporting them in a LiPo sack.

I use an old army ammo box to store my lipo's, closes securely and entirely metal. I need to get myself one of those lipo sacks but just haven't yet - right now I charge the battery in an unused flower pot which isn't the best solution.

I thought the only problem with them was during the charge cycle. I have 3 of them, and they are all mounted in helis. I guess it's time to take them out and put them in my ammo box.
I love the smell of peanut butter in the morning.

was it discharged when you stored it?

i am pretty lazy with mine. I charge and store them anywhere. I might start keeping them in the shed. I have been running lipos for over 3 years with no issues and i even had one discharge high enough to melt down a novak GTB.

I guess you guys are right. Electrics are more interesting.....

Glad to see you are okay.... my LHS has told me a few stories of lipos going up in flames....

in addition. i will only buy hyperion or polyquest lipo's. Say what you want about them just being rebadged but i swear by them. no turnigy, zippy or any other budget brand in my trucks.

I for the most part will only run Turnigy's any more, Polyquest's didnt impress me and no way will I use a maxamps. Turnigy do what you want for a great price, they have proven them selves. Its all a personal preference I guess.

Last edited:
His morning is lunchtime for most of the rest of us, Woodie.

Your lucky that didn't burn your house down. Some people store/charge them in a bucket of sand.

I'm glad that was all that happened. It could have been much worse. Been charging mine in the lipo bag and storing them a heavy clay pot.

This is another reason I like the Nitro vehicles. tuning the engine is much easier than rebuilding my home!!!