scale?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay1227

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What scale do you guys recommend?? 1/10 1/8??? any others or what should i get for a truck...

Its best to state what your intentions are going to be with the truck and price range you're looking at to spend to get proper input for the question asked...I only have a few trucks in both scales as you can see in pic below but am sure will be able to answer the fine tuned question aswell as a dozen other members...One of my criterias for choosing a brand is the ease of getting replacement and upgrade parts from your local hobbyshop because if you're into bashing or racing they break and wear out often..

x-15taillightassy233.gif

My OFNA Mutillator Pro.32 Truggy 1/8 scale is a prime example...Its only 3 weeks owned and has broken 1 set of rear dogbones due to overusage/poor design and chewing through the second set...the best part is I got it brand new in the box for 200.00 from the local pawnshop...worst part is it took 1 week to get the first set of dogbones and finding upgrades are similar to a witch hunt through my local hobbyshops.......

x-15taillightassy242.gif

Last edited:
5th scale for sure :D So much easier than nitro...

If you don't want the high costs of 5th scale though, go with an 8th scale. IMO 10th scale is just too small.

5th scale rocks, but its freaking expensive. I just recently spent $400 on my Baja, bought a few stock plastic parts, some aluminum suspension upgrades, new tires/wheels, and a few other misc items. And I still need to get a Rhino steering servo ($115 servo!). Its not for the faint of wallet. I've easily spent $3000+ on my Baja.

1/5th scales are a joke for the guys that can't control the speed of a 1/1oth scale truck or car 1/5th scales are big and slow and cost way to much to keep up and running and a lot harded to find parts look at you lhs and see if they even carry a 1/5th scale kit or even any parts for them if they do carry them see witch one and what parts they have for them on hand not many people run these beacuse of just that everything need to be mail ordered and most lsh only carry whats sells

i like 1/10 but thats the only thing I've ever drove :) so not much help here... but watching my local tracks the 1/8 handles the bumps and jumps much better so for racing i would say thats the scale you are looking for.

Go to your LHS and see what they sell. Then find a one that you like and they carry parts for. I would stick in the 1/8 or 1/10 range but you don't NEED to base you decision on scale, unless you plan to race that is. Then, go to your local track and see what classes they have.

1/5th scales are a joke for the guys that can't control the speed of a 1/1oth scale truck or car 1/5th scales are big and slow and cost way to much to keep up and running and a lot harded to find parts look at you lhs and see if they even carry a 1/5th scale kit or even any parts for them if they do carry them see witch one and what parts they have for them on hand not many people run these beacuse of just that everything need to be mail ordered and most lsh only carry whats sells

FYI, 5th scales are just as fast, if not faster than a comparable 8th or even 10th scale :\

I agree that they can be harder to control. You definitely need RC experience before you drive one.

I like all the range sizes of r/c vehicles,,,each has its own little area of character and handling for an array of terrain types to have fun on...only thing I'm not into is crawling and on-road cars too much....

The 1/5 scale is nice if you have the space to drive it in...driving a 1/5 scale r/c in a small 30x40 yard is like trying to race a 125cc dirtbike on an r/c car track while maintaining constent laptimes and the dust they kick-up fuggetaboutit..If I'm gonna choke on that much dust and make that level of noise I'm gonna just go back to MX bike riding full time again;-lol

Buying an R/C vehicle is a matter of preferrence,$fundage$ and available space in which to operate it as much as possible without making it an allday outting or a nuissance for the neighbors..Sometimes its fun but not always..

Last edited:
i have scales that range from 1/36 scale to 1/8th scale my 1/8th scales are my favorite but i f i threw a lipo and a brushless system in my 1/36 scale thatd be my favorite

i would go for the 1/8 scale if you know what to do

1/10 scale are for beginners.They are also alot easier to maintain

go for any scale =p:D

See what parts are available at your local Hobby Shop. Then take a look at your local track to see what they're racing that looks fun to you. Then pick what is supported, looks fun and you can afford. Enjoy your first new truck or car.

IMO with 1/10th you can learn the inside/outside pretty quick for anyone. But the same is for 1/8th, you just need to learn how the guts of the rig are set up so you can work on it easily and you should be set. It comes down to what you like, like others said if your not sure what you want just go down to your LHS or track and take a look at a few RCs.

Tenth scales handle better like my jato but my eigth scale hellfire is my favorite it is faster than my jato and doesn't flip constantly like my savage did

Tenth scales handle better like my jato but my eigth scale hellfire is my favorite it is faster than my jato and doesn't flip constantly like my savage did

The Revo 3.3 is considered to be 1/8 scale monster truck and handles as well as Jato if not better because of the all wheel drive. If properly set up the Revo doesn't flip and doesn't pull wheelies, it just puts its power to the ground and takes off.

i have scales that range from 1/36 scale to 1/8th scale my 1/8th scales are my favorite but i f i threw a lipo and a brushless system in my 1/36 scale thatd be my favorite

what is you 1/36? i have been looking for a ssmt to put in model truck but no luck