SC10 2WD RTR or Slash?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of Sight

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Probably these topics had been going on for some time...but the SC10 is too expensive to be any threat to the Slash. Well until I got my September issue of RC Car Action. They feature the SC10 2WD RTR.

It features the same characteristic as the Slash : 2WD, and in a $200 price range. But with a MUCH better look and a race oriented LCG chassis. I already own the Slash, I love it, but seeing the SC10 RTR, I'm thinking of trading my Slash for the SC10 RTR...just for one reason alone...it looks GOOD!!

Guys, can you give me some perspectives of your own, by filling out these points for each aspects :

Score 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest)

1. Brand reputation and after sales; Traxxas --- AE----?
2. Stock performance ; Slash --- SC10 RTR ---
3. Modded performace ; Slash --- SC10 RTR ---
4. Availability of stock parts ; Slash --- SC10 RTR ---
5. Availability of upgrade parts ; Slash --- SC10 RTR ---
6. Bashability and strength (stock form) ; Slash --- Sc10 RTR ---
7. Race worthiness ; Slash --- SC10 RTR ---

You can also add more aspects that I haven't typed here. thanks

SC10 is a race truck. It is based off a T4 while the Slash is based off a Stampede. It's no competition on a track truck wise. The Sc10 will be better. Don't get me wrong, i still love my Slash, but on the track, the SC10 is what I'd chose. For bashing, the Slash has it here. I currently own a Slash, however, I just bought a SC10 roller and will be putting my brushless in that and keeping my Slash for bashing, and the SC10 for racing.

1. Brand reputation and after sales; Traxxas ---5 AE---5
2. Stock performance ; Slash ---3 SC10 RTR ---4
3. Modded performace ; Slash ---4 SC10 RTR ---5
4. Availability of stock parts ; Slash ---5 SC10 RTR ---4
5. Availability of upgrade parts ; Slash ---4 SC10 RTR ---3
6. Bashability and strength (stock form) ; Slash ---5 Sc10 RTR ---4
7. Race worthiness ; Slash ---3 SC10 RTR ---5

If you ever raced a T4 or xxxt you know you have to learn to drive good in a hurry or you will end up going broke because they break easy when you make mistakes.
The sc10 uses the same week brittle parts as the T4. If you are a good driver and can
keep from hitting pipes and landing wrong off jumps the sc10 is the truck for you.
If you are a beginner get the slash and learn to drive it well. By the time you are ready
for a sc10 you will have saved the money to buy the sc10 with the money you would have spent on broken parts for the sc10.
Abbowlin

Well, I don't consider myself as a very fast driver, but a prudent one. I usually drive at brisk constant pace, and probably own the 'smoothest' lid at the local track :lol:..I seldom get the truck into rollovers or cartwheels.

Thanks for giving me some pointers guys...so I the Slash isn't really race worthy, but the best "compromised" package for the occasional racer and mostly basher type of guy like me..I need my truck tough, that's what I got with my Slash. But probably I'll invest on Thundertech Racing chassis for the slash, to get that nice low CG and...an SC10 lid!! :D so I can look and perform good and have the tank like toughness most Traxxas models have.

Dont write the slash off as a poor racer just yet. I currently hold the local track record for the most laps. The tracks run three official races. I've taken 1st, 2nd, and 1st. For the stock spec class. There are sc10s in the group as well.

Now I'm going to be building an sc10, so who knows. Honestly in true spec racing, it comes down to driver skill and setup.

Now I'm going to be building an sc10, so who knows. Honestly in true spec racing, it comes down to driver skill and setup.

That is so true. It all comes down to driver skill in the end. Also, like you mentioned, the Slash can be a good racer with a few mods but at that point, those mods put you in the price range of an SC10, if not more. Either way, they are both great trucks and are both race worthy.

Right! I got to agree...it all comes down to the driver. However after thorough thinking, I'm sticking with the Slash..it's a better overall package imo.

If you want the scale look, you can fit an SC10 body over it, just drill new holes. You can also get mud flaps for them.

If you ever raced a T4 or xxxt you know you have to learn to drive good in a hurry or you will end up going broke because they break easy when you make mistakes.
The sc10 uses the same week brittle parts as the T4. If you are a good driver and can
keep from hitting pipes and landing wrong off jumps the sc10 is the truck for you.
If you are a beginner get the slash and learn to drive it well. By the time you are ready
for a sc10 you will have saved the money to buy the sc10 with the money you would have spent on broken parts for the sc10.
Abbowlin

I'm not so sure of that, although I'm not trying to bash your opinion or anything. In most tests that mags, blogs, forum, etc...have posted, the SC10 has pretty much matched the Slash in durability. It's not near as fragile as people would think. Also, the biggest reason many of the T4's broke were because of the Factory Team carbon parts. They were stiff but brittle and you had to be a good driver to keep from breaking things, but the SC10 has the regular plastic pieces which tend to flex a little more and are much more forgiving. Also, much of the reason why pieces like the a-arms and steering knuckles broke on the T4 was because the wheels were completely unprotected, thus forcing you to be a litte more careful about what you hit. With the new SCT style bodies, *most* objects tend to glance off the body before they get a chance to hang on the wheels and break something.

Chances are, when more people get to racing and bashing with the baja bug bodies on their slash, incidents of breakage will go up. The slash still may be slightly more durable with their thicker plastic arms and whatnot, but not by much.

Now that i think back when i was racing my t4 i only replaced the carbon parts a few times then i went to the cheeper plastic parts and put a front bumper on it and it did
seem to hold up well.
Any way, I just watched a Slash race at the local rc track and they allowed
the sc10 in with them. They all are pretty good drivers and the sc10 did win (with 13.5)brushless. but not buy much. Too bad you are not aloud to run a 8 cell ni-hm battery because the slash is suppose to run on 9.6 volts. I ran a pack in mine and it was like having a mamba maxx in it.The handling was alot better from the extra weight and the motor and esc was cool to the touch when i was done. It ran about 10 minutes and it was only a 3800 8 cell.
I wish traxxas would come out with the 4 wheel drive slash and make it affordable.
Abbowlin

They're supposed to be coming out with a E-Slayer this fall/winter, so keep your fingers crossed.

Toss up

From what I've seen at my track Slash stronger SC10 more agile.
Everyone thinks the AE is way better hands down.
But how I see it is Traxxas is only slower in a race by a hair.
So I think driver skill is the single bigest factor.
The better or more experienced drivers just tend to go AE thats why you see so many more wins from them.Look at the SC Nats, Mod class A-Main out of alot of entries 1st AE (Scott Brown owner of my home track TRCR), 2nd HPI, 5th traxxas.Great race!BTW I own & love AE & Traxxas

I have both and would pick the sc10 every time.It is very durable and it handels like a dream.I also like my slash but the sc10 really blows it away.Racing or bashing the sc10 is one tuff truck.

get the slash, all in all better truck

The slash is good for bashing. It's good out of the box, but the SC10 is easily the better racer once set up. It's still durable as hell for me too. The SC10 is based off of the T4 while the Slash is based off a stampede. I have both, love them both, but I enjoy my SC10 more because I race more than anything.

the Slash is based off a stampede.

I like both trucks I think they both have alot to offer.
But I thought the slash had a slash chasis unlike all the others using an existing chasis.

Well, the Slash chassis is it's own, but the whole thing is based off the stampede/rustler.

I have owned both the Slash first then picked up my Sc10. I like to bash but when our local shop put together a short course series I tried my hand at racing. I have noticed I break way more parts with the SC10 but then again I'm not a good driver at all, but its fun and I like the competition. I started the series with my slash for the 1st 2 races and then got my Sc10. I did pretty good the 2 races with the slash but I'm thinking it was just because of the durability and I was able to finish the races. Once I got my sc10 I was much faster on the track but I also crashed a lot because of the extra speed I had and I ussually broke something when I crashed. Durability wise id have to go with the slash hands down but for racing (so long as you can drive) id go with the sc10. In our series 1st place went to a good driver with an sc10 2nd went to a good driver with a slash 3rd was taken by a pretty crappy driver with an sc10(me) sorry for all the rambling but I'm bored at work and have lots of time on my hands.

Have you considered the HPI Blitz?
Durability and parts support of the Slash, and the handling and racing ability of the SC10.

I'm considering a Blitz for my next truck. I currently own 3 Slash's have done very well in the stock class againist other Slash's, SC10's and a couple of the Strikes. I've yet to see a Blitz run but i;m looking forward to giving one a shot.

I'm not too sure I agree with the SC10 being a better or faster truck than the Slash at least in stock forum. When I first saw the SC10 I thought it was over for us Slash guys if they allowed that truck to run with us but that has not been the case. Out of the last 10 or so races I've run in or watched a Slash won at least half so i'd say that the field is pretty well matched. My stock Slash has done very well even againist modded SC10's during practice so i'm looking forward to running in Mod next year.

I just got back from a big race of 171 entries.
two of the classes were sc the stock class was half slash half sc10 and a slash tq'ed.
Both trucks looked pretty equal today.
too bad there were no strikes or blitzes I want to see them run.
BTW motors allowed were sc kit , 27 , or 17.5

Back