Savage X 4.6 XL conversion!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just ordered a kit( yes HPI discontinued the kit, but my LHS had 2 in stock!) for only 64 bucks, i figured its a good deal. what are the advantages of the XL conversion in your opinions? biased/unbiased, i dont mind feedback:)

Just curious what is included in the conversion my old SS is getting a little dated and don't want to drop the change on a new truck.

Comes with TVP's which add two more inches to the overall length, engine plate, and a rear drive shaft due to the length change, it basically adds more space to the rear of the truck, and it comes with a whole new set of screws. i can't wait to drop it in! I'm gonna post some pics. its just gonna be better for stability in the air and on the ground. my 4.6 doesn't like the front tires being on the ground. i can't throttle it all the way without it flipping over, XL conversion is one of the best mods for the price, so I've heard

Cool I will have to see if I can locate one

if you can't find the kit, just buy TVP's for the XL the motor plate and the drive shaft

Found the TVPs motor plate and and shafts on Ebay I had some of the Extended TVPs from twisted toys several years ago they where .5 inches longer then factory. I will slap these on once I get them.

Last edited:
post pics!

They shipped out today should have them this week, my savage is the only truck I own not ready to run I tore it down several years ago and never rebuilt it. Once I get the TVPs in I will put it together and let it ride again looking forward to it she was a good running truck.

They shipped out today should have them this week, my savage is the only truck I own not ready to run I tore it down several years ago and never rebuilt it. Once I get the TVPs in I will put it together and let it ride again looking forward to it she was a good running truck.
Thats a savage for ya, they run good if you let em!

i added another engine plate to cover the large empty space that an xl has,,,,.plenty of room for a giant esc,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• smxl.jpg
    smxl.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 191
  • smallxl.jpg
    smallxl.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 183
  • smxxl.jpg
    smxxl.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 199
looks like you got a nice wheelie setup going on! I'm assuming the pack in the back helps out?

i only put the bats there cause it reached,next time out gonna try under rollbar if it reaches,less wheelieing,,,,,,,,

solder 2 wires together if they dont reach, i had to do that with my hump pack

So now I am just curious what are the differences between the old 25 SS kit and the newer versions is it just TVP related and will all most of the parts be interchangeable?

yeah i have another series connector i could add on,,,i have the new ss battery box which is cool looking,fits in old spot,,,,

So now I am just curious what are the differences between the old 25 SS kit and the newer versions is it just TVP related and will all most of the parts be interchangeable?

if I'm correct, all you will need is the TVP's and he thicker motor plate that comes on the XL and the longer rear drive shaft. thats only for the length add-on. if you wanna go with the width, there are other things. but everything should be interchangeable. savages are pretty universal

if I'm correct, all you will need is the TVP's and he thicker motor plate that comes on the XL and the longer rear drive shaft. thats only for the length add-on. if you wanna go with the width, there are other things. but everything should be interchangeable. savages are pretty universal

Cool I will try the length and see not so much worried about the width yet see how she does, they should be at my house today. I got to finish my Revo first my savage has been idle for quites some time so long I can't even remember what servos I was using where and I found a box with six servos in it I am sure 2 are from my savage. LOL

either way one of us will find out! ill post pics of mine tomorrow, and let you know how the handling goes with the width and extension

got mine in the mail today after my REVO redo and installing my fender on the jeep the Savage is next on the list along with my garden

the new x might have a taller 3rd gear.the xl trans i bought new claimed to have 15% higher gear than the old 10% style,,,,,,taken apart tomorrow to see.the old style input 3rd gear is 24t the new style is 26T,,,,,,,,,,,