Savage x,25 or xl

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do31

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I dont know which one to buy. Just tell the difference,some pros and cons and which one to buy:)

There is a reference guide on this forum that will tell the differences between the models and what parts will interchange. As far as which one to buy well thats a matter of personal preferance. I know that the xl is the biggest version (xl= extra large). And I'm not sure if they even make the 25 anymore.

Get the X. I have not heard good things about the engine in the XL, and the 25 is the old model. The X has a decent engine, and a bunch of little updates here and there over the older 25.

get the x i have one and it halls wheelies constantly

Are you looking to buy new or used?

All Savages are fun, but all things being equal I would take either the X or XL over the older 25 or 21 as they have a lower CG.

One of the nice things about the XL is that extra width introduced by the wheel hubs gives you a little extra turning stability - although for that very reason an XL doesn't turn as sharply as the X. Also, you can always update the X with the extended XL hubs.

Engines - I'm personally not impressed by any of the stock HPI engines would swap them out (or mod them) long before they ever lost compression.
If you’re new to the sport it might not make much a difference to you though.

All Savages are fun and they're built like bricks.
Heck, they’re heavy like bricks too... lol
Get what you can afford and it’ll put a smile on your face.
You can also always upgrade - and a lot of parts are interchangeable between models.

Are you looking to buy new or used?

All Savages are fun, but all things being equal I would take either the X or XL over the older 25 or 21 as they have a lower CG.

One of the nice things about the XL is that extra width introduced by the wheel hubs gives you a little extra turning stability - although for that very reason an XL doesn't turn as sharply as the X. Also, you can always update the X with the extended XL hubs.

Engines - I'm personally not impressed by any of the stock HPI engines would swap them out (or mod them) long before they ever lost compression.
If you’re new to the sport it might not make much a difference to you though.

All Savages are fun and they're built like bricks.
Heck, they’re heavy like bricks too... lol
Get what you can afford and it’ll put a smile on your face.
You can also always upgrade - and a lot of parts are interchangeable between models.

Thanks for the info i think ill get the savage x:first_place:

I have a Savage 25 and it is great, but I wish i had a Savage X.

:Washington_National:redbuggy:

Riz, why don'tcha just buy X chassis plates and upgrade your 25?
I see some on eBay - less than 14 bucks delivered.

get the x. i have the x ss kit and its an awesome truck. the xl is just to big.

The extra length of the XL makes the jumping and rough running a lot better. I'd get the XL if I were buying a new savage. Engines come and go as do electronics. But the rest of the things the XL has, I'd be buying it for.

Riz, why don'tcha just buy X chassis plates and upgrade your 25?
I see some on eBay - less than 14 bucks delivered.

That's a good idea. Is it a straight bolt on to the 25 chassis? What problems or issues do I have to look forward to?

It's basically a straight swap to replace the old 21/25 chassis for an X chassis plate.
All dogbones / universal shafts are the same lengths so no problem there.

The only thing that jumps to mind that's funky is the rollover bar.
Since you're dropping the tranny, two screw holes for the electronics box - one left side /one right side don't align.
You can drill new holes in your current roll bar or install one of the plastic roll bars (part 85239).

Doesn't the X chassis use different bulkheads, towers, arms and diff cases? Or do they still bolt up the same in respect to the TVP's?

Think that olds is right that they change the diffs and bulkheads. I would go with the X or the X SS kit. One can always buy the XL tvp's down the road, that is what I did, now wish that I had the short tvp's as I'm missing the willies and the forward brake rolls. As I had parts from a SS kits for parts without the tvp's. I had small problems with the stock HPI engines which was the mid needle would screw inwards, otherwise the K4.6 enigne is a nice torquie motor. Just have to remember to put the piston to BDC as soon as you can, I ran about 1-1/2 gallons thou as was still strong and put some ATF fluid in to prevent any moisure in the motor.

Olds - An X fresh from HPI does has different diff bulkheads etc then a .21 or .25, but they bolt up the same if you're just swapping out the old style chassis plates for X chassis plates. If someone like Riz wants to do it on the cheap, it beats buying new diffs/bulkheads if what you got ain't broke.

The old roll bar doesn't match as it covers the two screw holes for the electronics box.
You can always drill new holes in the original handle/rollover bar or simply buy a newer style handle/rollover bar.

Olds - An X fresh from HPI does has different diff bulkheads etc then a .21 or .25, but they bolt up the same if you're just swapping out the old style chassis plates for X chassis plates. If someone like Riz wants to do it on the cheap, it beats buying new diffs/bulkheads if what you got ain't broke.

The old roll bar doesn't match as it covers the two screw holes for the electronics box.
You can always drill new holes in the original handle/rollover bar or simply buy a newer style handle/rollover bar.

Thanks. That's just what I was wondering. I think I am going to go that rout and do the rebuild on the cheap.

YW Riz.
It's really easy to convert a 21/25 to an X.
I've previously converted one to an X and just recently converted one that I got off of eBay to an XL (which needed more parts).

As I mentioned, the old style roll-handle like this requires the aforementioned drilling alteration):
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDZW2&P=7
BTW - Forget about trying this modification if you have something like a Hardcore titanium rollbar. Need specialized tools to drill that stuff...

Or simply buy this and be done with it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMDA5&P=7

Or put a wing on it and totally drop the rollbar...

IMHO, you should always have a roll bar. It helps keep the body from buckling really bad and cracking really early in it's life.

I have a Savage 25 and it is great, but I wish i had a Savage X.

hey riz23, how r u, what experience do u have with the savage 25??....
I bought one like 2 days ago, and today i burned my slipper clutch,on 5tanks of fuel, did u also had the same problem??