savage:plastic or metal spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well, i've been searching the forums and i can't find exactly what i need. the savage i just bought has a metal spur gear with a few stripped teeth. what i need to know is metal or plastic. the plastic i much cheaper than the metal and i remember seeing something about sometimes if you get the mesh right it lasts a long time with the flex or something? all i need to know is if a few stripped teeth is going to damage it, if i need to get a new spur gear, and if i need a new one should i downgrade to cheaper plastic?

-braden

It depends on the engine. If your running a 2+hp engine, you might want to go steel. The plastic ones have a tendency to melt because you can't bite down on them good enough with the slipper. So they spin and melt in the center, then get wobbly and the teeth get tore off.

If your running a .21-.25 engine, then you would be fine with plastic.

I'm currently running plastic with my SH28. I notice it slips a bit, but I haven't driven it a whole lot since I installed the larger engine. I ran an OS21RG in it for 16 gallons on the original spur. I still have that spur, I just needed a smaller one to get the SH to keep the front wheels down on the ground on occasion.

this is a 25 and redhatman says plastic

i'd got with plastic. personally, if u get the gear mesg right, the plastic gears will last you a long time. beside, the cheap plastic ones also serve as a cheap failsafe for the drive train. i'd rather replace a 4 dollar part than a 30 buck tranny...

plastic, because when you strip a plastic spur gear the spur breaks but when you have a metal one something would go wrong with the engine being metal it would strip so the plastic would strip and instead of something going wrong in your engine.

plastic, because when you strip a plastic spur gear the spur breaks but when you have a metal one something would go wrong with the engine being metal it would strip so the plastic would strip and instead of something going wrong in your engine.

Say what?

this is a 25 and redhatman says plastic

If it's HPI's 25, then you would be fine running plastic.

If it was SureFire 32, OS 30, collari 30-32, RB 28... or something of the sort, then you would be having some issues with plastic. At least I think you would.

As stated earlier,use the plastic gear they are cheaper and provide the rest of the gear train some protection.

i run the OS 30 with a plastic single slipper. got over a gallon on it and it looks new. It has no slip whatsoever though. If you allow any slip at all, once it slips a little, it won't stop and you will melt spurs. WIth no slip at all the only thing you have to worry abpout is if for some reason you go against a wall and hold it at wot. then that 30'll rip the teeth off the spur.

Also if you land on power off a jump, it will tear up the trans. The purpose of the slipper is to slip under extreme duress... by locking it down, your kind of removing it's purpose.

Also if you land on power off a jump, it will tear up the trans. The purpose of the slipper is to slip under extreme duress... by locking it down, your kind of removing it's purpose.

i'll strip a spur out befor i tear up a tranny.

if you have a non metal bell gear(stock) and a plastic spur you will be fine! however if you upgrade to a metal bell gear a steel spur is a must. i have a savage x with a 5hp axias .32 with a 16 tooth steel bell gear i shreaded the plastic spur be for quick! never !!!!! crank down your slipper unless you enjoy replacing trannies and diffs!:preachin:

i run the RR steel c/b with a single slipper plastic spur on an OS.30. I can flip the truck over even though its extended, lcg, mid tanked, and has the hump pack right above the front diff. My spur looks brand new.

if you have a non metal bell gear(stock) and a plastic spur you will be fine! however if you upgrade to a metal bell gear a steel spur is a must. i have a savage x with a 5hp axias .32 with a 16 tooth steel bell gear i shreaded the plastic spur be for quick! never !!!!! crank down your slipper unless you enjoy replacing trannies and diffs!:preachin:

You mean a hardened steel clutch bell, all clutch bells are metal. If you run a hardened gear with the stock clutch bell, you will loose all the teeth on the clutch bell in about a hour.