Savage Help?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash-R.C

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got my Savage yesturday and started to break it in today. I am on the 6th tank and I am in the process of leaning the engine out. It was going very well for the first 4 tanks and now it is getting real hard to start. I found that the problem was a leaking fuel filter. I fixed that and when I didn't know it was the fuel filter I was playing with the LS needle. Now the carb is locked in one spot and wont move. I only way it will move is if its 4 turns out.

Also do you guys think the stock thottle servo is too weak. It doesn't seem to be able to move all the linkages, it might just be me though.

How do I get the fuel into the engine? No matter how hard I try the fuel just doesn't get there. No matter how many times I press the primer button. It just goes up the tube then back down.

Any Help Would Be Most Welcome.

Steve

The primer isn't working properly get a new tank or remove the primer and prime it by holding your finger over the exaust stinger and pulling it over a few times.

to remove the primer empty the tank and take the lid off (not necessary but easier on springs) remove the black plastic cap fronm the primer shaft (just pull hard with pliers) then pull the primer out as far as it will go and proceed to break in half with afformentioned pliers let it fall back ito the tank and shake it out.. plug the hole with a screw (machine,wood doesn't matter as long as it will tighten ito the hole snugly) and one of the 0 rings off of the primer

It sounds like your lock problem is a problem with one of the adjustment screws. I'd suggest starting by removing the air filter, backing out the idle screw, back out the MRN, backe out the LSN, backing out the HSN. After that reset the mixture needles starting with the MRN, then the LSN, then HSN. To set the idle turn the idle screw in until you have about 1/32 to 1/16 inch opening in the carb when look down the throat.
The fuel problem could something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. I would discoonect the lines at the tank and carb and try blowing through them (be sure to clean them off first - nitro is not good to ingest). If air goes through, then do the same with the pressurizing line from the pipe. About the only other thing left would be a bad primer or a tank lid that is not sealing. The lid should have an adjustment screw under it that lets you adjust the amount of compression on the sealing o-ring. The lid should close easily but snuggly against the o-ring. I removed my primer to find out my problem was only a clogged fuel filter - dahhh. No harn done except now I have to do the finger over the pipe thing before trying to start the engine.

Looks like everything is cleared up except your throttle servo problem. I own a Savage too so I know what your dealing with. The servos will really eat up the batteries faster than some cars and trucks. Try replacing the batteries. I had to replace them after only 5 tanks. So after you do that it should brake on a dime and turn on it too! Hopefully that works because my throttle servo seems just fine with new batteries.

Thankyou everyone for the fast replies. I'm going to make these adjustments very soon and see if it she will work for me. Also when you have it in stock settings should it go into 2nd gear?

Steve

Also when you mean "back out" does that mean close them or open them?

Thanks a Bundle once again, I am very impressed with the truck so far. It just needs some minor adjustments.

Steve

By backing out, I mean turn the screws out rather far compaired to where you have them. This will insure that no screw interfers with another when you start setting back to the factory settings. For example: If you have the midrange needle in to far then it will prevent you from ever getting a correct low end needle adjustment. The end of the midrange needle is actually the seat for the low speed needle. The same as the idle screw in too far will prevent the low speed needle from ever going in far enough to adjust correctly so that if you were to lower the idle speed you would be changing the low speed neddle setting. It gets confusing but all the adjustment need to work together for the engine to run correctly. The 21BB was the most tempermental engine I've had to tune. I think it is because of the midrange needle. I finally seem to have the 21BB running all but perfect. I just know it will turn around and make a peepee out of me but for now it has run great the last to times I ran it. Even restarted easy after an upside-down flameout. I have no idea where my setting are and I'm not going to touch them to find out.

Allright thankyou very much. I am going to try and get it up and running again tonight. How many tanks more should I do before starting to lean it out? I am on the 6th tank.

Steve

If you have been running rich, then I'd say you could start now. I know I would.

LOL, cept I have been running it rich and its running at 260 or a bit more. I havent even got it to shift into second yet. It almost ran away from me too cause the idle was set too high. I'm going to make sure all my needles are running good tomorrow.

Does anybody have a pictures of how much the idle screw should be open?

Steve

Back