RS4 3 Sway Bar Install Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you check the R40 and Nitro 3 setup sheets listed at HPI's site you will see that all of the racers run linear. The optional springs for the R40, Pro 4, and the Proceed are all linear. These two reasons are why I decided to experiment with linear.

I am pretty sure the springs only come in pairs. If you run progressive and you change the ride height with shock preload you are changing the spring rate.

BTW - There is a NIB 73056 HPI Carbon deck on eBay right now and the bid was cheap the last time I checked. I would bid but my backordered deck is supposed to cost me nothing because of the coupons I used when I placed the order at Tower.

Last edited:
Cool. Checked out the HPI site and printed a few set up sheets. I guess I will buy a few sets and mess around with a combo until I find the one I like. I'll get the linear since it is recommended. BTW, I am running no preloads right now, and it seems to help the handling when using say bars.

I bought my upper deck about 2 weeks ago. Just happen to come across a LHS that had one sitting around.

When you install yours watch your wiring locations. Many of the wires come close to or go around the edges of the CF. The antenna wire is one of them. CF cuts wire real quick!

Thanks for the tip about the deck. I guess I'll CA some opened up fuel tubing to any edges that look dangerous.

Last edited:
rossb said:
I think those Purple springs are 670 Progressive? I bought four Blue 493 Linear and four Pink 540 Linear. They are the hardest 13.5x25 Linear springs HPI makes. I will have to experiment to see what combo works best.

If you check the R40 and Nitro 3 setup sheets listed at HPI's site you will see that all of the racers run linear. The optional springs for the R40, Pro 4, and the Proceed are all linear. These two reasons are why I decided to experiment with linear.

Yeah, they're the progressive springs.

I think the linear springs might give you more control and consistency over the spring rates, so maybe that's why racers use them. I was looking at my car... When you compress the suspension, by the time the tightly wound coils are touching and the stiff coils start to do most of the work, the bottom of the tire is already level with the bottom of the chassis. So given the actual suspension travel range, the progressive springs probably aren't as stiff as when measuring the whole spring's rate.

This is what I need right here.
062mini_valve_spring_tester%20LARGE.jpg

Damn, that website sells that 100psi tester for $83 bucks! Expensive.

Here's a digital one. I'll bet that's a pricey piece.
Valve%20Spring%20Tester%202%20small.jpg

VSpringBasic.gif

Last edited:
Back