rs4 2 speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsalifeworthliving

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok so, the last pull start nitro i had was a traxxas nitro hawk, still have it somewhere.. but now i got these 2 rs4's and man i hate pulling that cord.. pulling it is for the birds..specially when it wont start..but my ? is the rs4 2speed.. it seems there is 2 set screws for the adjusment inside the spur gears.. I've been messing around with it for bout an hour now and can't figure it out.. can someone shed some light on this. it feels like it is stuck in first gear. or maybe second. not sure. when i finally get it to run its only infront of the house. but wich screw is the adjustment..

It's the off-center one. The one in the direct middle is the setscrew that holds it to the shaft.

OHH!! ok..and its the same as the rest of the 2spds, right is shift sooner and the left is shift later, right?

OHH!! ok..and its the same as the rest of the 2spds, right is shift sooner and the left is shift later, right?

You are backwards, counterclockwise will shift sooner, clockwise and it will shift later. Cupooterluvr is correct, the straight one is the set screw that holds the clutch to the shaft, the angled one adjusts the shift point.

You are backwards, counterclockwise will shift sooner, clockwise and it will shift later. Cupooterluvr is correct, the straight one is the set screw that holds the clutch to the shaft, the angled one adjusts the shift point.

They're both right, only if its' anything like the Savage multi-speed clutch setup, it'll have two set screws in there. One will have a shaft-pin that holds it to the gear shaft. The other one serves as a stopper, to prevent that screw from ejecting. Both should be fairly tight and have (blue) thread lock on them.

The off-center one, however, should NOT have thread lock on it; it tightens against a small spring, which is more than sufficient to hold the screw in place.

To find your adjustment, make sure the engine is in tune, then back the off-center screw out till it's flush with the top-end of the threads. This will set the shift point super-early. Just tighten the set screw down 1/8th of a turn at a time until it hits. Then fine tune from there. Shouldn't take very long to find the adjustment point at all.

hope this vid helps

Last edited by a moderator: