Rocket

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flandersander

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all, Me and my whole family is feeling better. I got a model rocket kit. it is the "screamer". I just want to know how one would go about packing the parachute. BTW it uses "C" rockets. I am using "C6-5"s and just need to know how to keep it from smashing. I shot one already and it went WAAAAY out into the canola field. gone. So I got this one today and will launch it tomorrow. Also, my cousin knows me too well and gave me a "plane". Its a 25 dollar toy from jc penny. its actually pretty neat. Is anybody farmiliar with the storm launcher mini? Is there any way to make it faster? It says it has a lipo battery (lithium polymer) so i think thats out, so I was thinking different motors. Brushless maybe. Any ideas?

Last edited:
bump. Does anybody know? I'm sure we have some model rocketers here. I did a google search and there were tons of ways to pack it. So it is my impression that if you make it easy to come out it should be good? And still looking for some info on storm launcher mini mods...

Is this the rocket you have?

http://www.apogeerockets.com/screamer.html

It has been 25 years since I messed with rockets. The one think I remember was that you needed to put enough wadding under the chute so it didn't get burned up.

On a few occasions I witnessed the flaming chute before the rocket went into it's death spiral back down to earth.

I have also hadone of my prized rockets go up and have it's chute deploy perfectly only to drift far far away never to be seen again.

yeah, have done that once too. And no thats not the rocket I have. its this one. http://www.customrocketcompany.com/store/index.html?loadfile=item10033.html

So how do you pack the parachute? Just don't want to mess it up again from not having it deploy right. I made a small "secondary" paraschute. It is the first thing that the cap pulls out and falls out when its upside down. that would deploy and pull out the main one. Just a little idea of mine so even if I don't pack it right, it will still probably deploy. If not, it should slow it diown some anyway. What do you think?

Is this the rocket you have?

http://www.apogeerockets.com/screamer.html

It has been 25 years since I messed with rockets. The one think I remember was that you needed to put enough wadding under the chute so it didn't get burned up.

On a few occasions I witnessed the flaming chute before the rocket went into it's death spiral back down to earth.

I have also hadone of my prized rockets go up and have it's chute deploy perfectly only to drift far far away never to be seen again.

I'm not as old as rob mob but i have messed with these when i was a kid. I've had the same results. either it burns up, flys away, or a few time i even had some C motors blow up right on the stand with the rocket. so i lost interest right away. so i picked up a skateboard and that was it for the rocket era. lol

i would say rocketering is a step below setting off fireworks on the 4th of july hehe

Just put enough packing between the engine and the chute to keep it from burning up. I built these as a kid, and now I build them with my grandson. Here is some info on parachute packing.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=479

Maybe you should try a B engine first, so that you get a feel for how high the thing will go and which way it will drift. I like streamers better than parachutes. They are tougher on the rockets, but at least you get them back.

I have launched some small rockets with large engines and 30 foot orange streamers, and they just dissappeared.

i do model rockets. WOW! C engines those things really goooo! for the parachute just fold it in half 3 times than fold it down once. before u put it in, stuff a wad of flame retardent paper down in the body. that should keep it from burning the parachute. also dont jam the FRP tight into the body or else it wont let the last charge blow out the parachute.
and BTW, try A engines too, they launch the rocket to 100feet.