RIP Dell Computer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing you could try is pulling that infected hard drive out and slaving it into another machine (one with updated antivirus and antispyware) and scan it in that machine. it should find the stuff and clean it out. At least enough to get it to boot and recover your pics.

I've been using the same dell dimension 2400 since 2003. its still running great and i put alot of upgrades into it since than but its still a great computer.

i must say i never thought i would have one for this long and not have it smoke or flame up lol

if i was to ever get another computer it would definetly be a dell. i bought it for $400 back than and put about another $500 into it and it works just as good as my mothers new dell she just got.

i have also had a HD problem that wouldnt let me computer start up. i fixed it by getting a Malwear program from my mother that got rid of the virus. its good to have people know what there doing in the family. and just like anything else. see her do it for so many years i picked up on it and can now fix my own computers 90% of the time. i always thought it was a good idea to have 2 HDs just in case one got infected, so i save all the stuff i worried about to a second HD and once its clear i can transfer it over. cost me $25 for a 40Gig HD just for that. havent had a problem ever since

but good luck with the new computer, and if you ever need a copy of windows XP let me know. i got a couple of new copys from my work when they switched all there new computers from vista back to XP

boot with an erd disc and run the recovery.

worked for the sasser virus.

one thing you could try is pulling that infected hard drive out and slaving it into another machine (one with updated antivirus and antispyware) and scan it in that machine. it should find the stuff and clean it out. At least enough to get it to boot and recover your pics.

+1, my dad did that on his old harddrive, it should work fine...

OFF TOPIC: if you do need to get a new computer, get a mac. i can't say anything about linux, I'm going to try to put it on my pendrive and run it live...

New Vista machine hauls ass compared to the old one. Seem to run a lot cooler and is definitely a lot quieter. Using Vista as compared to XP has been a non issue for me. I don't see why some people have problems with it.

Data was recovered from the old HD using a Vantec Sata Ide To Usb 2.0 Adapter. Worked flawlessly and was $30 well spent.

I put the drive back in the old machine and will be using the recovery disks that came with it to wipe it out and start over. It's still a decent machine and I will put it in my workshop.

Did you get vista 64 bit or 32 bit? I'm thinking of converting my new laptop which came with vista 64 to 32. Some of my old apps won't work on vista 64 such as Castle Link.

I agree with you on Vista itself, didn't seem difficult to make the transition from XP.

It came with 64 bit.

Haven't installed the Castle Link or VRC to see if they work.

I can just use the Castle Link on my son's computer that runs XP if I need to.

If VRC does not work, I will be SOL this year for racing. No way his computer will run it to my liking.

My father is incredibly good with computers. More or less, a freak. We use Avira AntiVir. German, its best of the best. Works great.

Did you get vista 64 bit or 32 bit? I'm thinking of converting my new laptop which came with vista 64 to 32. Some of my old apps won't work on vista 64 such as Castle Link.

I agree with you on Vista itself, didn't seem difficult to make the transition from XP.

you should be able to run those porgrams in a virtual 32 bit. right click on the EXE and go to compatibility tab. set it to whatever OS the program will run correctly on.

It came with 64 bit.

Haven't installed the Castle Link or VRC to see if they work.

I can just use the Castle Link on my son's computer that runs XP if I need to.

If VRC does not work, I will be SOL this year for racing. No way his computer will run it to my liking.

Just came to me, are you sure your not running two processors at 32 bit each. I know my laptop has the processor " AMD Athlon x2 64" but its a 32 bit OS.

you should be able to run those porgrams in a virtual 32 bit. right click on the EXE and go to compatibility tab. set it to whatever OS the program will run correctly on.

Thanks for that tip!