Receiver Hump Pack

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbayton88

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I bought a duratrax hump pack and a ofna on/off switch with rechargeable plug. When I installed it my servos twitch making my carb open and close. Any ideas what this could be? Also when I turn it on its making a noise. I have both transmitter and receiver on when it does this btw. I also broke the antenna wire when I flipped the truck. It ripped the antenna tube as well as wire off when it did this. Now I have about 6 inches left, so the range is very short. I'm considering buying a spektrum DX2E radio. Any Ideas???

The antenna can cause issues yes. You can get a new wire and solder it if u are good at it.

Did it start happening after the wire broke or after the new battery pack? If it happened after the battery pack I'd check for a short in the wires. Possibly one got pinched or frayed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 8:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:35 PM ----------

Oh and the noise is your servos buzzing, from one of the two issues above I'd assume.

It started twitching after the new hump pack. I checked all wires and they are fine. When I put the stock battery pack with the AA's it works fine, its only with the hump pack. Could it be the on/off switch I have? If so I may just get the savage XL switch and that should solve the problem I think.

Electronic issues are the worst in any situation. I'd suggest using the process of elimination. Exactly as you said, try the old switch, test the continuity of the new one if you have a multi meter. You can also check the battery voltage again, if u have a meter. You could also swap batteries and keep new switch in place.

The hump pack is 6 volts right?

yep its 6 volts. Is it possible to take the end of the stock battery pack and attach it to the hump pack so that I use that factory on/off switch

Did you confirm it is the switch? Yes you sure can. I'm always soldering connectors and wires lol. Some can be easily crimped.

Its hard for me to confirm it since I dont have a meter. I'm going to just get the switch off ebay for a few bucks and while I'm at it ill get another receiver. I'm still confused at why it would be glitching in the first place but oh well I guess, hopefully it doesn't do it with the next one.

The antenna could be causing it but like u said the battery and switch is when it started. Have to figure out which. My guess is faulty switch. Doesn't make.sense for a battery to cause that

Do the obvious thing first. Plug the hump pack directly into the receiver. Don't use the switch. That will take the switch issue directly out of the equation. If it doesn't twitch then you know it's the switch. If it does twitch then it could be the receiver. If you've damaged the antenna you could have caused severe range issues, interference issues or done damage the the receiver board. If you happen to have access to another similar receiver that would be a good way to check the integrity of your present receiver. Unfortunately after a hard shunt a receiver can very easily sustain damage.

I connected the hump pack directly into the receiver and its still making the same noise. I have no clue what it could be. It has this issue before I broke the antenna wire. So I guess I'm going to buy another receiver and a on/off switch and see if that fixes it.

Didn't you say it doesn't happen with the old battery pack?

yes it works fine with the factory AA battery pack but with the hump pack its no good

Well Theres your answer. Something up with the batteries or the connector.

Hopefully, I'm ordering a Spektrum DX2S tonight alone with a Hobbico Switch harness. That should fix the problem.

Could've gotten a dead pack. I've bought packs that were just slap dead. Charges but next day it won't do s***.

The hump pack works fine its just glitching and making noise/ I doubt its that since if it was dead it wouldnt turn wheels or anything.

Could be a short in the battery. It works fine with original battery, doesn't with pack. That's right there tells you... also could be the connector on pack. Only 2 options.

The pack works, I used it all day Saturday but when I'm at idle I can hear it making noise as well as it opening and closing the throttle. Could that still be the pack?

Ya got me man. I mean the original pack works fine, the new one causes issues. That tells me its the pack.

Back