RC10GT RTR overheating

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Everytime I run, before I use a single tank of fuel, engine is way too hot. Then it loses alot of compression and is almost impossible to start. I am running it very rich, and have vent holes in the forward window, side, and aft. Any ideas?

.When you say very rich is it spitting out fuel?
.Is it leaving a large trail of smoke?
.Do you have a temp gun any idea what temp is?
.Have you made adjustments to the L/S needle? X

Last edited:
My first guesses would be that you're running lean or no venting in the body. But you already covered that. Just to be sure, you're running the HSN at around 2 1/2 turns, and the LSN I guess is supposed to be 1-2 turns. I've never been able to really get a good idea on an exact setting.

But you already covered that. So my next thought would be to ask what kind of fuel you're running and how much oil it has. And given all else, I would lean most toward an air leak. I would start to check your fuel tubing, carb seat, backplate, head, glowplug exhaust, and pressure line to see if there is any leaking. That can cause your engine to over heat and run irratically. So start there..

Thanks for the input. Running Byron Originals 16%. I think the oil content is around 9%? H.S. Needle is about 2 3/4 out, not sure on L.S. needle, never adjusted it from factory. I also have a nitro touring car, and it doesn't seem to overheat. As per running rich - no fuel spits out, but I have smoke plume almost anytime I accel, not just at full throttle.

Also make sure nothing is binding in your drivetrain. Make sure the diff moves freely, it might have a bad bearing, making the engine have to work that much harder to turn the wheels.

That oil content is way too low, you should be closer to 18% oil.

Try a better fuel, possibly 20% Nitro with a higher oil %. I use Trinity monster fuel and have had good results with it.

Thanks, I am almost out of fuel, so I will try that next - also, could gear mesh being too tight between spur and pinion cause this problem? Also - put new, heavier tires on it recently, but it has been overheating since I bought it new, about 3 weeks ago.

If its over heating since you bought it new I am thinking you need to fatten up the low end a bit. It doesn't matter how rich the top end if the low end is to lean it will only let so much fuel through...X

Originally posted by nitronewbie
also, could gear mesh being too tight between spur and pinion cause this problem?

Yes it could, there are several threads here explaining how to set gear mesh properly.

It will also wear out your gears in no time.

Back