Rc Cameras

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borkhart

RCTalk Racer
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Has anyone on here have some input on newer cameras to can be fitted onto an rc truck. I have a Savage X. if that helps at all. I've been looking at a few different ones and was wondering if any of you guys have had experiances with some?

Those things are terrible!!!! I had one for my slash. I rolled over onto it, and it was done. Invest in the GoPro Hero 2. Much much much much much better.

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

Go pro is def a better unit but its HUGE and expensive IMO. Contour is much smaller but still a hefty price tag to bash around with.

I found a camera in walmart thats actually pretty damn good and survived being tossed out the window of a car at 60mph. (pulled a uturn at the next exit and went back for it) Scratched the hell up but still perfectly usable.

Not sure how you would mount it to an RC...
http://actionshotcam.com/shop/action-shot-sd/

Those things are terrible!!!! I had one for my slash. I rolled over onto it, and it was done. Invest in the GoPro Hero 2. Much much much much much better.

Well I'm glad you told me that before I ordered it. All I've seen is videos of one mounted to an airplane and it looked OK. Did you manage to get a video before you destroyed it and what did it look like?

Nope. It threw the memory card out, so now it's somewhere in a field.....

Huh, I've stuffed helis (more than once :hehe:) from 50+ ft up and mine is still going strong after over 2 years. Must just be bad luck. The HD version of those takes really good video also.

And keep in mind not all RC's can haul around a GoPro, even though I do love mine.

well i would like to think my savage x could. the GoPro look nice the 400$ price tag is a bit steep but at the price is it durable enough to justify being bashed around, again and again?

well i would like to think my savage x could. the GoPro look nice the 400$ price tag is a bit steep but at the price is it durable enough to justify being bashed around, again and again?

That price is for the top of the line GoPro. It's very nice, but as of yet, no normal person has a display capable of matching the highest resolution settings for playback (4K). I have an HD hero 2, that will shoot full 1080P at 30fps or 720p at 60fps, and they can be had for $199.

The thing about the go pro is you will land up using it for more than just your RC videos. I have three of them and don't own any other cameras. The main reason is the water proofness and the video quality. I also take stills of all of our family outings as well. Excellent camera for the price. The contour is nice but if you want to waterproof it like the go pro its twice the size. I recommend the go pro hero 3 then you can control the camera from your smart phone and view the footage intimidately.

Well it seems an overwhelming majority picks gopro. And it will stand up to crashes? At only 3 to 4oz its relatively light

Sent from Borkharts HTC DNA

Yes it should for MOST crashes. It's not indestructible. But it is made for action sports, it should be pretty hard to Actually damage one.

I also have the GoPro Hero and the video image is incredible.

and it takes video's of what? your trucks on the shelf, must be some great action shot's ! VROOOMMMM!
:whip:

well thank you guys I'm set on the go pro no just to save the funds and wait till it warms up.

The GoPro is awesome and the Hero 3 Silver edition is all you need for shooting video as long as you arent very interested in using it for taking still pics. The Video quality is awesome on the silver but the stills are somewhat lacking. If you get a GoPro you're gonna want to have an apple or droid device to download the GoPro app so you can see what your camera is shooting because theres no LCD display on the back. Personally though I dont like using these on the kits themselves as it makes the kits top heavy and they dont perform quite the same with one mounted. The Contours as someone else mentioned are better in terms of helping to maintain a lower CoG but they dont have the nice protective case that the GoPro does. The entry models for Contours are about $200 same as the Hero 3 Silver edition.

What I use on my kits while not HD still look fairly decent and they are cheap. So far I still havent broke one though. Its the original form of the mini spy keychain cam that someone posted above before someone modded it with a different lens. I mount mine using industrial strength velcro to the top of the lid. The cam is so light I've never had it come off even during High Speed crashes in my Rustler. Its never been damaged because I try to mount it far enough back on the hood that if it does roll then the top of the lid and the front of it usually hit the ground but not the part where the camera is mounted.

You can find THESE cameras on ebay for $7 bux but the ship from china so if you order Id order at least one or 2 extras in case one does get broken you have time to reorder more of them.

Here is a pic of one mounted on my High Speed Rusty.

269604_410713328975820_189638232_n.jpg

If you skip to the 5:00 mark in this video, you can see running video of an old Rustler setup. In that running footage I cut to the onboard camera several times. Granted the camera was off center then but it gives you an idea of how they record. The wider angle lens on the other one listed would be nice but for 7 bux these will do the trick. Just make sure you use a class 10 micro SD card for best results.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRE1HKGvGVo"]High Speed Rustler using 1-10 scale motor - Greywolf Studios - YouTube[/ame]

I was given the Action Shot HD
I have the clear hard case
the blue high impact case
strap with mount, handle bar mount, stick on mounts, helmet or surface mount
lots of options
3AD0742C-5B83-47D6-90E5-CFFFA255D9F7-2554-000001D6D07CDDBF.jpg

B9AE28F2-E94A-4DAC-9132-CC4C2C7CF570-2554-000001D7CD9CD0E2.jpg