Raleigh - Durham - Chapel Hill NC Area

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital Liquid

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just thought I would spread the word, I found out that a place in Durham, NC has a little off-road track & an on-road track. It is called Wheels. Apparently the off-road track is new & hasn't been run much on (due to the weather).

Anyway, I rode out there & checked it out since it is only 30 minutes from me. The off-road course is short & could use a little more design to it. The on-road course looks pretty good. It has some smooth asphalt & the track can be manipulated & changed due to it's moveable barriers.

Here is a link to their site (I don't know how often it get updated):

http://www.thercspeedway.com/

So if you are out in this area & want to just run & bash, hit me up with a PM.

Later...:mex:

Last edited:
Their track looks pretty good. Let us know what you thing about it.

OK, I have been in the hobby now for 2 years, and I've never been to a trake because I never knew where one close to me is located. Plus playing football for UNC and being a student doesn't help either. If one of you guys could tell me the best way to get to the RC SPEEDWAY I would greatly appreciate it. I'm here in Chapel Hill and I would love to go out there this weekend. Please respond. Tahnks

Direction to RC Speedway:

From UNC
---Take 15-501 towards Durham
---Continue on I-85 NORTH - go 4.3 mi
---Take the US-70 exit towards RALEIGH/RDU AIRPORT, exit #178 - go 0.3 mi
---Take the GEER ST exit - go 0.2 mi
---Continue on N HARDEE ST - go 0.3 mi
---Turn LEFT on CHEEK RD/FISH DAM RD - go 0.4 mi
---Turn RIGHT on N HOOVER RD - go 0.2 mi
---It will be on your right, you can't miss it, it is the only building on that side.
---It will probably say Wheels and not RC Speedway
---You will see a batting cage, putt-putt, go-cart track, skateboard park, etc...

Anyone else in the area know of any BMX Tracks in the area? After the Hampton Bash w/ everyone, I am addicted to catching some air. Are there any BMX tracks around here? I did a search on the internet & couldn't find anything.

You could always make another road trip :D

Sweet I'm always looking for a new track. Its pretty close too.

Here in Sanford, NC theres a large motocross track called Devils Ridge its really good. Extremely large jumps.

After bashing on the BMX track, you're afraid of a little old motocross track...c'mon, live a little. =devil

Sandhills raceway is pretty nice faculity, offers offroad & indoor capert oval. Have'nt driven it since the new layout. But before it was always a good time. Outta come check it out.

The motocross eats lids, suspension arms, and ball joints for breakfast. :devil:

Sky, I wouldn't call it being afraid. :8-0:

I am just skeptical, not at what my truck can withstand, but the amount of speed I will be able to get up a 6 foot ramp. I simply think that the ramps will be too tall & I will loose alot of momentum going off them to really catch any air. However, I am still thinking about trying it out.

Ever since the Hampton Bash w/ you guys, I'm addicted to AIR!!! I found a nice jump at a park near my house & have been hitting it alot. The angle of the ramp doesn't give much vert (about 10ft up) but the distance is pretty good (about 15-20 ft out). I've pretty much got it mastered & usually hit it at WOT. I actually just got back from that jump. I blew a rear shock top off. Hopefully the treads are fine so I can just fill her back up & be off again.

Suppa, what are you doing on Sunday 6-13? Myself, killahbz, & UNCDROCK57, might hit that track on sunday. Hopefully they are open on sunday, I'm about to call them and find out. If you are free, you might want to join us out there for some runs. Send me a PM to let me know.

Later....

That's about 2 1/2 hours from where I live in Charlotte. I might be able to run with you guys on Sunday if you're looking for more people.

Digital, the BMX ramps had about six foot of vertical run and your Savage was handling them without any problem. You want some pictures for proof?

I think you may want more run up to get maximum air, but I think your ride can handle the jumps with the distance provided. You may want to give it a try. Remember, you don't always have to stay on the track to hit a good jump...point of fact demonstrated by the corner to corner jumps we did (except Killahbz hitting the pole...which was some funny poop).

Sky you have a good point. We will probably check out the Moto-X track, I will hit the jumps if I have enough runway to build up some decent speed. I am now addicted to the air though. Lately I have found myself scouting out areas for some nice jumps. But we need to hit the race track first and settle some driving skill business among us.

Gil, if you would like to join us out there, that would be great. It's always a blast when more people show up. I am going to call the place tomorrow & make sure they will be open on sunday & how much their fees are. I will send you a PM after I find that stuff out.

Suppa, are you thinking about running this sunday w/ everyone?

Later....

Digital heres some BMX tracks I found-
Burlington BMX (Burlington) 336-228-9BMX

Capital City BMX (Raleigh) 919-834-4BMX

Hornet's Nest Park BMX (Charlotte) 704-398-2711

Johnston County Raceway (Garner) 919-291-3630

Tanglewood BMX (Winston Salem)

Back