Sold / Found RadioLink RC8X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
- Decided to keep and see if I can get it warrentied or fixed still. I will repost "For Sale" If I decide something else in the future.
RadioLink RC8X 8ch RC Transmitter 2.4Ghz with Gyro

Originally bought for $330 – June 2023

Comes with everything seen in pictures:
  • Radiolink soft case with inserts
  • Instruction manual
  • XT60 / JST telemetry cable
  • Spare throttle trigger with Allen keys
  • 8 AAA tray insert
  • Screen Protector (already on radio)
  • Radiolink Lanyard
  • Micro SD Card
  • RC8X Radio
Does NOT come with
  • Rechargeable transmitter LiPo
  • Receiver/s
Radio past uses:
  • Been used in my 4 cars for indoor racing over the summer
  • Freshly formatted drives with latest firmware V1.2.5
  • Perfectly good shape, always stored and transported with bag, used with lanyard

- $245

Disclaimer:
Should be only used with low power cars such as crawlers and indoor mini cars, or as a simulator.

PXL_20240428_013832625.jpg
PXL_20240428_013929578.jpg
PXL_20240428_013937691.jpg
PXL_20240428_013956314.jpg
PXL_20240428_014006412.jpg
PXL_20240428_014012445.jpg
PXL_20240428_014020542.jpg
PXL_20240428_014027170.jpg

PXL_20240428_014202089.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014211079.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014301867.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014134502.jpg

PXL_20240428_014126186.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014113871.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014100767.jpg

PXL_20240428_014119985.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014235722.jpg

PXL_20240428_014228747.MP.jpg

PXL_20240428_014220745.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Hey those FrootLoops made me hungry 😋

I’ll need some those napkins too

It looks like a good radio, why are you selling it David?

Problems. Signal is weak on the radio and range is not that good. That's why I wrote the disclaimer that it should only be used with low power cars or cars where you are near all the time with. Ie mini cars or crawlers, or the radio can be used with a simulator.

Also because of the weak signal and range, it likes to cutout and the failsafe doesn't work when it does. RadioLink support does nothing to help and they say to wait for a new firmware. But a new firmware won't fix it because I had the same issues on every firmware I tried. I just want to get my money back and get a new reliable radio. Can't have this dangerous one at the track for racing. I had good results for 2 months right after I bought it. After I updated it I started having issues. So I learned to not upgrade anything unless it's mandatory.

Last edited:
Problems. Signal is weak on the radio and range is not that good. That's why I wrote the disclaimer that it should only be used with low power cars or cars where you are near all the time with. Ie mini cars or crawlers, or the radio can be used with a simulator.

Also because of the weak signal and range, it likes to cutout and the failsafe doesn't work when it does. RadioLink support does nothing to help and they say to wait for a new firmware. But a new firmware won't fix it because I had the same issues on every firmware I tried. I just want to get my money back and get a new reliable radio. Can't have this dangerous one at the track for racing. I had good results for 2 months right after I bought it. After I updated it I started having issues. So I learned to not upgrade anything unless it's mandatory.
Hey David, I have an RC8X, and the first rig I am going to use it on is the Capra, so from reading what you've written, I believe I'm safe there. I have a few other rigs I was planning on connecting it to as well, a TRX4, a Cayman Pro RTR, a Gen8 Axe, and the one that now causes the most concern an X-Maxx. What sort of range are you talking about? The failsafe is also a big concern as well, I truly do appreciate your candor here.

First, I would not update the firmware, as its 1 of the major causes to having these issues, from what I experienced. If you leave it with the firmware it came with from the factory, you should be good to go.

I would test the RSSI first before using it with the xmaxx.

Follow radiolinks video here: (you don't need to worry about antenna placement on dual antenna receivers, I tested, and its not an issue, its ideally only Rssi)

Also one of the guys I talk to in the FB group, tested his old radio (with issues) and his new radio (works fine with range/rssi) :

With my experiences. With the issues. I usually get about 60 feet before it cuts out, or the signal gets weaker. And when it does, the failsafe doesn't actually work and my car does what ever it wants. For example with my Mini B a month ago, I was out in the street. I was about 40 feet away from me doing a little speed run. My radio cutout and the car stuck at full throttle for like half a second before I ran a few feet to regain signal. Good thing no cars were coming and i didn't crash into the curb. Or loose my car in one of the drains. I started having issues back in September when I first updated the radio. All that I know before then is it worked perfectly. So long ago and I been trying to help them fix the issues. But they don't seem to help :(

But back to the main question. If you test RSSI (especially the guy in the Facebook video, and your radio is in that range of the signal being "good" id say sure, it will be good to use it in your xmaxx. Just don't run it far away. Thats why in my original post, I said to only use with low power cars such as crawlers and mini cars (with the issues if apparent) because your always close to the car so you don't need to worry about signal getting weaker, range or cutting out.

Thats all that I could give / know. If you need help, if you are on Facebook, I would join the RadioLink official group as there are smarter people on there than me. Lol.

Edit:
After seeing the guys video I just linked on Facebook, I might see if I can get in contact with the amazon seller I got it from, or radiolink and see if I can get a new RC8X for free (hopefully as I am broke) and see if a new radio fixes my issues. And I might personally get a range extender. But I feel like a range extender is un needed for me as I run my cars outside, but not far away, and on indoor tracks. Just another thing to make it more complicated. And Idk how to even install a range extender. Or I can see if I can get it warrantied?

Last edited:
That's too bad. I was under the impression radiolink made quality transmitters. I'm glad I went with the Flysky noble. Your screen looks way better but I have great range with the F.S.

I've been reading up on the Radiolink problems, and from what I can gather is Radiolink isn't even trying to fix the problem. Hell, they won't even acknowledge there is a problem according to some people. I had one in my shopping cart awhile back, but after hearing David's problems and reading what others are saying, I deleted it from my cart. No way I would support a company that blatantly will not fix known issues.

Last edited:
First, I would not update the firmware, as its 1 of the major causes to having these issues, from what I experienced. If you leave it with the firmware it came with from the factory, you should be good to go.

I would test the RSSI first before using it with the xmaxx.

Follow radiolinks video here: (you don't need to worry about antenna placement on dual antenna receivers, I tested, and its not an issue, its ideally only Rssi)

Also one of the guys I talk to in the FB group, tested his old radio (with issues) and his new radio (works fine with range/rssi) :

With my experiences. With the issues. I usually get about 60 feet before it cuts out, or the signal gets weaker. And when it does, the failsafe doesn't actually work and my car does what ever it wants. For example with my Mini B a month ago, I was out in the street. I was about 40 feet away from me doing a little speed run. My radio cutout and the car stuck at full throttle for like half a second before I ran a few feet to regain signal. Good thing no cars were coming and i didn't crash into the curb. Or loose my car in one of the drains. I started having issues back in September when I first updated the radio. All that I know before then is it worked perfectly. So long ago and I been trying to help them fix the issues. But they don't seem to help :(

But back to the main question. If you test RSSI (especially the guy in the Facebook video, and your radio is in that range of the signal being "good" id say sure, it will be good to use it in your xmaxx. Just don't run it far away. Thats why in my original post, I said to only use with low power cars such as crawlers and mini cars (with the issues if apparent) because your always close to the car so you don't need to worry about signal getting weaker, range or cutting out.

Thats all that I could give / know. If you need help, if you are on Facebook, I would join the RadioLink official group as there are smarter people on there than me. Lol.

Edit:
After seeing the guys video I just linked on Facebook, I might see if I can get in contact with the amazon seller I got it from, or radiolink and see if I can get a new RC8X for free (hopefully as I am broke) and see if a new radio fixes my issues. And I might personally get a range extender. But I feel like a range extender is un needed for me as I run my cars outside, but not far away, and on indoor tracks. Just another thing to make it more complicated. And Idk how to even install a range extender. Or I can see if I can get it warrantied?
Thank you so much, David, for this incredible assist! 60' is a huge issue, even for crawlers, in some places. I will follow these steps exactly! I am shocked at how unwilling Radiolink was to try to help you with this. It certainly does not leave me feeling warm and fuzzy with mine. Do you know what version receivers you have? I believe 2.1 are the latest version. I was aware of the signal dropping when too close to the receiver, but for it to kaput at 60' is entirely unacceptable, by any standards.

Thank you, again, my friend, and I will follow these steps to a T, for sure!

I've been read8ng up on the Radiolink problems, and from what I can gather is Radiolink isn't even trying to fix the problem. Hell, they won't even acknowledge there is a problem according to some people. I had one in my shopping cart awhile back, but after hearing David's problems and reading what others are saying, I deleted it from my cart. No way I would support a company that blatantly will not fix known issues.
It is certainly causing me some concern, at the moment, a lot actually. If I end up having to purchase a new flysky, after all of the promises that were sold with this radio, it will certainly cause me some grief. I could have purchased a Flysky, but instead chose the Radiolink, I will just hope I chose correctly. I have the last of the parts I need to get things moving with the Capra (BEC and programming cable, Servo horn for the dig servo, etc...), scheduled for delivery tomorrow, I'll report back on what I find, guys!

Last edited:
Thank you so much, David, for this incredible assist! 60' is a huge issue, even for crawlers, in some places. I will follow these steps exactly! I am shocked at how unwilling Radiolink was to try to help you with this. It certainly does not leave me feeling warm and fuzzy with mine. Do you know what version receivers you have? I believe 2.1 are the latest version. I was aware of the signal dropping when too close to the receiver, but for it to kaput at 60' is entirely unacceptable, by any standards.

Thank you, again, my friend, and I will follow these steps to a T, for sure!

It is certainly causing me some concern, at the moment, a lot actually. If I end up having to purchase a new flysky, after all of the promises that were sold with this radio, it will certainly cause me some grief. I could have purchased a Flysky, but instead chose the Radiolink, I will just hope I chose correctly. I have the last of the parts I need to get things moving with the Capra (BEC and programming cable, Servo horn for the dig servo, etc...), scheduled for delivery tomorrow, I'll report back on what I find, guys!
I think you'll be ok. I just would not use that radio in anything fast, like your X-Maxx. Grab you a cheap GT3B and use that for your bashing needs. It's cheap, and is a great radio.

Do you know what version receivers you have?
I currently have

x1 R8FG V2.0 (came with the RC8X when I got it)
x1 R4FGM V1.1 (came with the RC8X when I got it)
x4 R6FG V4/V5 receivers (some came with my 4GS V3 when I got it, some I got extra from amazon)

From my experiments, especially in my race buggy when I can only use it at the track when i can go, If I use my RC8X, I have issues. When I bind my 4GS V3 with my same receiver and esc and everything setup, it runs fine, I drive better, I have no issues, and I feel like I am more consistent with it, while racing.

I first noticed it when I upgraded to V1.1.8 in September of last year when my buggy at the track just cutout and ran under me into the drivers stand. I tried everything with a new receiver going through all my settings, trying different firmware. Until now because I don't want to mess with it anymore and I gave up. The only thing I am wanting to try now is seeing if they can warranty mine and send a new radio to me (hopefully for free) and see if that fixes my issues. If not ill see if I can get rid of my current RC8X to buy either a flysky or futaba. Or maybe another 4GS or 6GS as I seem to like those radios as they are cheaper and they are ok to throw around. Not like a fancy radio where you want to protect it and take care of it. Idk yet.

The firmware versions I tried:

Something I noted. A few days after I upgraded to V1.1.8, Radiolink removed the download files for that update from their site. Maybe it was that singular update that messed up my radio? But from now on, I learned to not do any updates to anything unless they force me to, or if its necessary for things to work.

I currently have

x1 R8FG V2.0 (came with the RC8X when I got it)
x1 R4FGM V1.1 (came with the RC8X when I got it)
x4 R6FG V4/V5 receivers (some came with my 4GS V3 when I got it, some I got extra from amazon)

From my experiments, especially in my race buggy when I can only use it at the track when i can go, If I use my RC8X, I have issues. When I bind my 4GS V3 with my same receiver and esc and everything setup, it runs fine, I drive better, I have no issues, and I feel like I am more consistent with it, while racing.

I first noticed it when I upgraded to V1.1.8 in September of last year when my buggy at the track just cutout and ran under me into the drivers stand. I tried everything with a new receiver going through all my settings, trying different firmware. Until now because I don't want to mess with it anymore and I gave up. The only thing I am wanting to try now is seeing if they can warranty mine and send a new radio to me (hopefully for free) and see if that fixes my issues. If not ill see if I can get rid of my current RC8X to buy either a flysky or futaba. Or maybe another 4GS or 6GS as I seem to like those radios as they are cheaper and they are ok to throw around. Not like a fancy radio where you want to protect it and take care of it. Idk yet.

The firmware versions I tried:

Something I noted. A few days after I upgraded to V1.1.8, Radiolink removed the download files for that update from their site. Maybe it was that singular update that messed up my radio? But from now on, I learned to not do any updates to anything unless they force me to, or if its necessary for things to work.
So, I just checked mine, I have 2x 8ch receivers and 1x 4ch, and all three are V2.0. I was going to offer to send you one to test, but I may be in the exact same boat, Finding a 2.1 receiver will be the first place I start, though if I have the same issues. My hardware version is 1.0.1 and firmware is 1.1.2.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but you might see if you can get your hands on a 2.1 receiver, if for no other purpose that to test. I will keep you up on what I find on this end.

Thank you so much, my friend!

I think you'll be ok. I just would not use that radio in anything fast, like your X-Maxx. Grab you a cheap GT3B and use that for your bashing needs. It's cheap, and is a great radio.
Honestly, I have never had any issues with the TQ stock rig, that came with the X-Maxx, I was just looking to consolidate my rigs, and possibly add some extra channels for lights, etc... that may come in the future.

I also have the GT5 that came with the Gen8 Axe, and it is a great radio! So, if there are issues with the RC8X, then I have a perfectly functional 6 channel in the wings. The RC8X was a birthday gift from my wife, last year, so I am going to do everything possible to make this thing work, if it is at all possible.

Thanks Brother!

Last edited:
Back