"Racing" Fuels Need Extra Lube?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was reading an article about nitro fuels and I noticed something that kind of bugged me. All out nitro racing is so competative, evidently, that the racers don't give a crap for their engines. Apparently "racing" fuels have less protective additives so the racers can lean out the engines more. This puts enormous stress on the engine, but, at that level of competition, it just flat out doesn't matter.

Obviously, engine life is something of importance to you and me. Also like a lot of you, I run O'donnel 20% Racing fuel. I've been concerned in the past with engine temps being a little higher than I thought they ought to be.

I've read that caster oil is a great organic lubricant -- even paris racing recommends it. I've also read that caster oil can leave residue over prolonged use.

Do you guys add lube to your "Racing" formula nitro fuels to prolong engine life? If so, what do you add?

-Robert

Cannot say I have never need the extra power its supposed to bring. I stick with fuels that are in the 12% oil range reccomended by the manufacturers. I honestly dont know what I'd even do if I pulled the restrictor out of the carb in my Sirio .21 it would have too much power as I have a hard time controlling it with the restrictor in. I would be concerend like you so I think your on the right track. Were you lacking performance and thats why you use race feul, or was it the only kind available. You are right though racers give up on the tradeoff racing fuel brings. They do have to rebuild their engine way more often then us backyard bashers with the occansional club race. We pay for our pistons and selleves and they dont. So its deffinetly logical why they use the fuel with less protection because they can go faster and they are not concered about the loss of engine life. I know one person who races down in L.A. and he says he does a replacement of his con-rod/piston/sleeve every gallon to gallon and a half and he's not even a pro just really into ROAR racing and he uses that Odonnel racing fuel. From what I have seen thats one of the most popular racing fuels around. Didnt Odonnel just come out with a BackYard basher formula?

BTW like the new sig!

I use Mugen 20% Race formula in my OS .15 CV-X. The manual suggested fuel with at least 18% oil and the Mugen race fuel has 12%. Now I have read all over that 12% oil is fine due to the fact of the oils that they use. However, just to be safe, I had a 4oz bottle of Castor oil to every gallon of fuel. That should bump it up to about 14-15% if I remember correctly.

A lot of guys at the track do not add oil to their fuel and do not seem to have any problems but I like to be on the safe side... :)

Glad you like the sig humboldt. ;)

My LHS is like this big time 1/8 buggy Racing Club thing. They are heavy into it. I guessing these guys rebuild every gallon as well. O'donnel 20% seems to be all their buggies run on. I will have to ask if he stocks the new basher formula.

If not, does anyone add caster oil to O'donnel 20%? Is this advisable?

I think Eddy said there was some formula?

Edit -> Replace All -> Caster w/ Castor (my bad)

Isnt that funny how they rebuild there engines just when I 'm thinking the thing is broken in all they way (not getting faster)?

Nitro Dave
I have used O'Donnel 20% race blend with a little castor added.

This is a from a previous post. "a little" is so precise.

Apparently, you can purchase castor oil from you LHS. "Klotz" or something is the brand.

I will ask the LHS guy what he recommends and then I'll post it here so the information is available to those that need it.

I use O'Donnell 20% racing fuel in my 2.5 T-Maxx. I have about 2 gallons through it and still have lots of compression. I haven't had any problems with it so far, all I do is bash.

NoviceRob-did you get the information regarding the Klotz castor oil additive?

I run 30% blue thunder...don't add nothing...like I always say...."it's fine!!!"

so's your mom..........fine that is.

It is adviseable to use fuel with lots of oil unless you have lots of money to replace engines. I only use fuels that have a minum of 16% oil, usually I use fuel with 18%. If you want to keep your engines for many many gallons I would recommend you try to do the same. Klotz makes a synthetic and pure caster oils to add to low oil content fuels. I don't understand why you would add oil to a racing fuel that costs more per gallon than airplane fuels that have the oil already in it for less $$$. I use Powermaster fuel with 20% nitro and 18% oil and it costs $14. per gallon or if I want a little more power I use Byrons 25% nitro 16% oil costs $20 a gallon. So... whay would you pay $25 to 30 per gallon and then add $5 bucks worth of oil?? :wtf:

Oh, and if you really want to add oil here is a link to "How to"NitroRC.com Fuel workshop

Last edited:
I only pay $18 for a gallon of O'Donnell 20% racing fuel. Also, the shop I go to recommends this over Blue Thunder, Traxxas, and Trinity fuels. I know you can't always trust what the LHS says, but like I said I haven't had any problems with it. The fuel holds a tune and keeps my engines cool. I guess I want to add a little more oil for peace of mind. Also, I heard that if you change fuels you have to do the break in all over again? Is there any truth to that?

The only thing I have found when changing fuels is that you will need to re-tune. (duh) Other than that I change fuels with no problems, I have done this quite frequently with many engines for many many gallons.

Originally posted by kwong2001
man...that's just wrong...funny though

Sorry dude couldnt resist. You owe me one. I meant it in total fun so I am glad you took it that way.

Originally posted by 3maxxman
It is adviseable to use fuel with lots of oil unless you have lots of money to replace engines. I only use fuels that have a minum of 16% oil, usually I use fuel with 18%. If you want to keep your engines for many many gallons I would recommend you try to do the same. Klotz makes a synthetic and pure caster oils to add to low oil content fuels. I don't understand why you would add oil to a racing fuel that costs more per gallon than airplane fuels that have the oil already in it for less $$$. I use Powermaster fuel with 20% nitro and 18% oil and it costs $14. per gallon or if I want a little more power I use Byrons 25% nitro 16% oil costs $20 a gallon. So... whay would you pay $25 to 30 per gallon and then add $5 bucks worth of oil?? :wtf:

Oh, and if you really want to add oil here is a link to "How to"NitroRC.com Fuel workshop

Believe it or not some of us are really more concearned aboout performance and using the "right" fuel instead of trying to save a buck. I am not a fuel expert by far but most really good popular brands of fuel are 12% oil. I only know of one fuel that has 18% and that is Traxxas Top Fuel. There might be others out there I just hadnt heard yet so if you know of any I would be interested to know. I guess what amount of oil is used really comes down to the quality of the oils used and the ration between castor and synthetics. Some fuels go further and add aditives to prevent overheating like Blue Thunder. Its additive becomes "not combustable" at higher temps and cause you to notice before you fry it. When reading "top" engine manfuacturers reccommendations when using their engines some say use fuel with at least 12% and some say at least 10% the ONLY engine manufacturer I know to tell you to use only 18% is Traxxas and I speculate they do that for 2 reasons. 1 is the main portion of Traxxas cust are newbies and we can all agree more oil in a fuel when you are learning to tune is a good thing. 2nd reason is their cast head has to big of a cooling job to do than I think it can personally handle. Since when did all the best engine manufactuerers start using cast aluminum for their heads? They dont! Only inexpensive companies use caast alum in the making of their heads.

Last edited: