Question for the Harley riders

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff7373

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So after many years I finally got the permission for a bike, long story lets just say the delay was I had to wait until all my kids turned 18, by that point I would need a trike.
Anyway I was cruising my local Craigslist and stumbled upon this one.
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/6031927496.html

Here is the repsonse from the seller when I asked him about what had been done to it:
No problems it's a solid bike not your normal CL junk, screaming eagle exhaust, t bars, K&N filter, drop mirrors, speedo relo.

My question is does $5500 sound like a decent price? The bike is at the guys office so I am going to take a look at it tomorrow and of course try to haggle down some more.
00z0z_9xUOPDQn2vH_1200x900.jpg
bike.jpg
00z0z_9xUOPDQn2vH_1200x900.jpg
bike.jpg

Whatever money that has been spent on upgrades is irrelevant. You never get your money back on what you invested in a motorcycle to make it yours. I have 10K in a 1974 Sportster and I'd be doing good to get $5K for it. Same with this one. The used market is flooded with them. I'm just guessing but I'd say probably between $4500 and $5K. He's probably asking $5500 cause he knows it's really around 5 even. It's 8 yrs old. And how are you going to get it home? You need to look at a blue book and see what they are going for. I'm seeing the average retail for one loaded with chrome at around $5200, I think.

I don't even really care for Harleys, but I dig that. Those bars would have to go though.

True but keep in mind I am 6ft 3 so the bars would probably work for my size and long arms.

Whatever money that has been spent on upgrades is irrelevant. You never get your money back on what you invested in a motorcycle to make it yours. I have 10K in a 1974 Sportster and I'd be doing good to get $5K for it. Same with this one. The used market is flooded with them. I'm just guessing but I'd say probably between $4500 and $5K. He's probably asking $5500 cause he knows it's really around 5 even. It's 8 yrs old. And how are you going to get it home? You need to look at a blue book and see what they are going for. I'm seeing the average retail for one loaded with chrome at around $5200, I think.

True but as I am not the seller and would put most of these upgrades on the bike if I bought a stock one the upgrades do matter to me. I understand it would be like selling a RC if I where the seller, but being the possible purchaser I am looking at bike cost stock versus upgrades. Now that being considered my local HD dealer (which is an hour from my house as usual) has a 2014 883 bone stock for $6100. I am going to ride out tomorrow to look at both bikes to help the decision process.
As for the getting it home the bike is 30 minutes from home so I can either get my buddy to ride it home or strap it on a trailer and bring it home.

From NADA for a stock 2009 Iron unless I am reading it wrong, the asking price doesn't look to bad especially if I can haggle down to 5,000.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    382.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I had some HD friends back in the early 80's ...Lol you almost couldn't touch a basket case for $ 2500.
In my opinion ,that's not a bad deal if you can get him down a little lower ,if the bike hasn't been rode
hard ,14k doesn't sound like a whole lot of miles on it ,I had 45 k on my Honda.

True but keep in mind I am 6ft 3 so the bars would probably work for my size and long arms.

I'm 6'2", it has nothing to do with height or wingspan, and everything to do with ergonomics and bike control. Both of which those bars suck at. It's the same thing that old school XC riders and hipsters do to bicycles. I had a buddy clip a tree with his shoulder a few weeks ago on a MTB. Why? Because he's still running narrow flat bars from 1990 and he hit a root throwing his front tire off line and he didn't have enough leverage to get it back. Straight flat bars are good at looking cool, it's fashion over function. But, to each their own.

Your neighbors will HATE you with those pipes. So will your own eardrums. On the bright side, they'll cover up the expensive noises.

I'm 6'2", it has nothing to do with height or wingspan, and everything to do with ergonomics and bike control. Both of which those bars suck at. It's the same thing that old school XC riders and hipsters do to bicycles. I had a buddy clip a tree with his shoulder a few weeks ago on a MTB. Why? Because he's still running narrow flat bars from 1990 and he hit a root throwing his front tire off line and he didn't have enough leverage to get it back. Straight flat bars are good at looking cool, it's fashion over function. But, to each their own.

I got you, I will have to check it out and see what it feels like. I will check it out tomorrow and see what overall shape the bike is in the pics make it look nice but like anything in life you can't always trust a picture or a phone sex operator, just saying. :D

Your neighbors will HATE you with those pipes. So will your own eardrums. On the bright side, they'll cover up the expensive noises.
Luckily me and my neighbors aren't super close and can't be any worse then him shooting his cannons off all afternoon. Distance wise there is still good property space between us just noise from both of us travels well. Again another reason why I like living out in the country.

Last edited:
I got you, I will have to check it out and see what it feels like. I will check it out tomorrow and see what overall shape the bike is in the pics make it look nice but like anything in life you can't always trust a picture or a phone sex operator, just saying. :D

LOL, good point. Sit on the bike, in your normal riding position and try to turn the bars lock to lock. Granted you aren't doing that while riding at speed, but you will have to do it when you park, at really low speeds, etc. If you can't turn the bars very far because your arm goes to full lock first, then you know it's an issue. Personally, I'd replace them no matter what. There's no way that can be comfortable for 300+ mile days, but I've been wrong before.

Dont seem like such a bad deal. but as a Harley owner X3 , those beach bars would definately find their way to the scrapheap. who wants to lean over all day? At 6"3 your not gonna feel compfortable on that at all. its a shorty bike. the foot controls wont be far enough ahead for your liking and coupled with those bars.......my back aches just thinking of you riding it.......its the same frame as my wifeys 1200C. and me being 6', its rough for me to even test ride. sporties are made for beginners and short people.
you would be better with a softtail, dyna, streetglide.
there are better deals suited to your size out there

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    492.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1057.PNG
    IMG_1057.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Deal does not look bad on the original bike in question, as I do a little digging I actually believe it is a repo though. When the guy responded it had his company header on the email and I did a little research they are a collection agency, I am still going to ride out there and look. The other issue is this will be my first bike so we are not wanting to go to high in price if at all possible, that is why I am looking at the 883. I can get a few years on it and then go bigger. I probably will not be a daily rider at first mostly just on the weekends and on the backroads until I really get the hang of it.

Nice bikes Biff, so we rode out to the Harley store first before looking at the original bike. When I told the sales guy I was looking at a sportster there was an analogy involving a elephant trying to have intercourse with a monkey said. So we looked at some dynas and a softtail, of course I sat on a sportser and yes I couldn't see me riding one for very long. We looked at both new and used bikes and for the price of a used one a new one was a good deal. I will be taking delivery of a 2017 softtail next Wednesday, I got a key for today at least and all paperwork is done. Now to take the class next month and get to riding.
IMG_5571.JPG
IMG_5572.JPG
IMG_5571.JPG
IMG_5572.JPG

I still can't figure out the photo thing on here.

Attachments

• IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 82
Thanks it was more then I wanted to spend on my first bike but I feel much better knowing the history of the bike. Now I just got to get my endorsement and go riding LOL. I was given 2 conditions for it from wife, I can't grow my beard out or get fat now. I can handle that.

Nice ride.welcome to the club. Might i suggest getting in contact with your local Abate office and check into the new rider class.its well worth the cost and they will teach you the basics of riding and will save you some cash from broken parts replacement. its how my wifey got her start While you are there,please join Abate. its not a biker club
http://abateva.org/
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/m_course.asp
But had i been you I would have invested in a older learner honda, hammeryapper, or shitsuki to learn on first ..lol
your feelings gonna get hurt real bad the first time you drop it on its side out in the driveway and have to run to dealer for parts.when i damage my Harley's, it feels like i hurt my loved ones.
my wifey started out on an 84 750 shitzuki after she took the Abate class. the parts were cheap to replace and she learned to ride. then i had to buy her a Harley since i told her i would buy her one if she learned to ride. She hated that shitzuki with a passion....lol

Real men don't ride sportsters.

Thanks guys, I signed up for the class the other day through http://www.tmstrain.com/ a couple of my buddies took the class and said it was a great beginner course. I know I am probably going to have a learning curve on this one and am fully expecting to have to buy parts for it, so we will see how it goes.

Back