Question about the Passport Mini P1 charger.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Hey guys, being that the charger that came with my well-over 15-year-old Traxxas Revo 3.3 was OK for charging the receiver battery, it really wasn't all that good of a charger for charging the EZ-Start batteries so, I bought this little Passport Mini P1 Charger to take that charger's place for the starter unit batteries. Worked pretty good. Even worked good for conditioning the batteries when they needed it....

Well, now that I'm getting more into Lipo technology, how will this little inexpensive cheap charger work for charging 5000 MaH and above 3S and 4S Lipos? Some day I'd like to get away from Traxxas batteries altogether but for now I'd just be using it to charge a non-Traxxas 11.1 3S lipo if this little charger can charge a battery like that in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks.

Its a 60 watt charger..Highly underpowered. Id like a more robust charger .I've always wanted more when I needed it at more than 1 c charge...

I used one for my 5200 3s. It worked ok. As time went up it kept giving me all these errors. No clue where it ended up.

Its a 60 watt charger..Highly underpowered. Id like a more robust charger .I've always wanted more when I needed it at more than 1 c charge...
Yeah, I see what you mean, my Traxxas Dual charger charges at 200 watts....

Guess I'll just have to get one or two Traxxas Lipos and maybe somewhere down the road, I'll start looking into a much better non-traxxas charger and slowly start buying aftermarket batteries.

I used one for my 5200 3s. It worked ok. As time went up it kept giving me all these errors. No clue where it ended up.
So about how long did it take to charge that 5200 MaH 3S? I just got off a chat line with someone over at Horizon Hobby and that guy said that on a 5000 MaH battery, he estimated a 1.5 to 2 hour charge time with this little charger.

Id say close to 2 hours..There are many 200+ watt chargers mostly DC id look into one of those. And you can build an adapter for the ID plug or buy one

Id say close to 2 hours..There are many 200+ watt chargers mostly DC id look into one of those.
Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of but, after talking to a buddy of mine who pretty much was the one that got me into the RC hobby in the first place, he’s got one of those Venom Pro Quad chargers and he loves it so I might look into that or even the dual version of that being that I really don’t need the ability to charge 4 batteries at one time.

And you can build an adapter for the ID plug or buy one

Is this what you’re referring too??

yes to link you posted that will allow you to charge the traxxas batts...
I’ll be darned. I watched a video on YouTube a while back, long time ago where a guy modified one of his Traxxas batteries and then added the balance port to it so that he could charge it on a non-Traxxas charger but I had no idea that somebody made these. I’ll have to look into those. Might actually be able to buy my new charger sooner than I thought.
My buddy who is heavily into RC loves this charger even though it does only charge at 100 watts or I guess at about 7 amps per channel but from what he said, that lower amperage was a lot better off healthwise for the battery, I dunno.

Lots of times I only charge one of my Traxxas 4S packs at a time and according to the spec sheet for my Traxxas dual live 200 W charger, it actually charges at 13.4 amps when there’s only one battery connected and if you have two, it splits it so that each battery gets 6.2 amps each unless you use the max charge option where it’ll charge the pack that’s plugged into the right side port at full power and once that battery is charged, it’ll speed up the charging of the other battery to the same amperage and I’m going on three years for these batteries and they’re still doing excellent.

Back