Question about fuel, stale or not!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could probably tune better than most in here :jk: , but anyway its wasn't a tuning issue the fuel did go bad, I bought a new batch and it runs perfect as always! someone told me some poop about hydrogen or something that I have no idea about that causes it to go bad but who knows!It was kinda like putting blue thunder in your tank POOF there goes your mill! :cheers:

Spokane HobbyTownUSA said:
Keep in mind in Europe they don't use nitro(illegal) just alcohol and oil mixture, engines can be tuned to run it.
I used Byrons for years, after using the newer fuels I will never go back to it.

i can't let this go, this is utter bullshit. they run 25% nitro in europe according to ERFA regs.

Spokane HobbyTownUSA said:
Keep in mind in Europe they don't use nitro(illegal) just alcohol and oil mixture, engines can be tuned to run it.
I used Byrons for years, after using the newer fuels I will never go back to it.

ha ha ha ha who told you that?? and you believed them??

So that Byrons 25% I have in my garage that says it contains nitromethane...is actually a bottle of vodka with 3 in 1 oil in it, is it??!!!

Please, if you are trying to sound well versed, don't, you are very badly mistaken in this case.

We run the same fuels as everyone else, I personally use 25% and my LHS carries everything from 10% - 40% nitro by at least 4 different manufacturers.

CorradoPsi said:
i can't let this go, this is utter bullshit. they run 25% nitro in europe according to ERFA regs.

Agreed, nitro fuel is available in Europe. The problem is that nitromethane is VERY expensive there (care to verify/deny Ryan?) so there are many European engines available that DON'T use nitro at all. 0% nitro. They generally have a smaller squish band/higher compression to compensate. :D

rocknbil said:
Agreed, nitro fuel is available in Europe. The problem is that nitromethane is VERY expensive there (care to verify/deny Ryan?) so there are many European engines available that DON'T use nitro at all. 0% nitro. They generally have a smaller squish band/higher compression to compensate. :D

1/2 gallon of Byrons is around £20 so thats approx $36. (thats a US size gallon too) not sure how that compares to your cost.

As for many european engines not using nitro etc etc??? Never heard of one. Maybe 30 years ago but in my 17 years...

Fuel in the states from what I've seen goes for $25 on average. some more some less, and thats for a whole gallon.

rocknbil said:
Not only is nitro fuel available in Europe, we also have a manufacturer in the UK (Model Technics). They blend glow fuels from with anything from 0% to 30% nitromethane content.

The problem with Europe and the UK is that all imported goods are relatively expensive compared to the US, it's not just nitromethane. IIRC there is only one, maybe two chemical plants in the world that produce raw CH3NO2 so the price is fairly well controlled globally.

An Imperial gallon of ModelTechnics 25% nitro fuel costs around 24 GBP retail, that's about 45 USD at current ForEx rates.

ModelTechnics price for pure nitromethane as at August 2004 was 48 GBP per Imperial Gallon (90 USD). Their price for EDL (synthetic oil) was 40 GBP per Imperial Gallon (75 USD) and pure methanol was 6 GBP per Imperial gallon (11 USD).

Whilst some of the home grown aero glow engines in the UK may be designed to run on methanol/castor only mixes, car engines are the same Italian and Taiwanese brands that are common in the US and as such require nitromethane in the fuel.

Wow how the subject changes, who care about hat country carrys or allows what fuel!YAWN!

maxxFX said:
Wow how the subject changes, who care about hat country carrys or allows what fuel!YAWN!

We care about inaccuracies reported in postings. This forum exists to help others in the RC community - not to mislead them.

I would point out that this forum and indeed this thread does not exist for your exclusive benefit (everything posted here is in the public domain) and that you received several polite, informative and factually correct replies to your original question.

IMHO, you don't have much grounds for complaint, so if you are bored just go read something else, your whining comments are not appreciated.

END OF RANT.

Last edited:
I agree. Misinformation is worse than no information. As to being bored, well, you took the time to read it! Couldn't have been that bad!

its a useless subject, and everybodies always here to correct someone, I love to help people in here I just dont get it, whether a fuel is aloud to be in a certain country! thats not valuable information, unless you are traveling there for a race or something, which it seems you all are not by the way you're discussing it!YAWN

Well maybe people find some things interesting, things other than St00piD video games and blowing s**t up, and just like to talk about it. Looks like it's "nap time again." I know it's tiring, what with all the strenuous effort of moving the eyes back and forth and all . . . .

:D

Ryan with savage said:
As for many european engines not using nitro etc etc??? Never heard of one....

I probably should have said AIRPLANE engines, sorry. LOL . . . .

Our fuel prices here range about $22-$27 USD for gallons 20%, up to $35 for 30%. (I pay $24/$27 at LHS.)

Last edited:
wait guys hold on, YAWN :boxing:

maxxFX said:
wait guys hold on, YAWN :boxing:

If you're bored why bother keep checking this thread?? :hammer:

ryan and maxx, stop spamming,and my fuel went bad in bout a month and a half after sitting on concrete floor. i you have it in a garage, keep it up on 2x4's.

Aj who are you to tell people to quit spamming? You telling people to quit spamming is like Cheech And Chong telling people to not smoke dope...

ANYWAY...

Fuel is suppose to be stored in a cool dry spot. Says right on the bottle. For some of the fuels that dont have the red cap, I just read that a piece of celiphane over the top sealed with a rubber band (Then the cap) prevents spoilage also. If your fuel seems bad after having it for a month (Unopened or with the red cap) Id call the place ya got it from and mention it to them. Maybe youll get lucky and theyll let ya trade it in.

hey if you can bitch at me, i can bitch at them!

anyways, keep it off of the ground, it will save the fuels life.

aj200415 said:
ryan and maxx, stop spamming,and my fuel went bad in bout a month and a half after sitting on concrete floor. i you have it in a garage, keep it up on 2x4's.

??? Where exactly have I posted out of context in this entire thread? All 3 (wow 3!) of my posts (now 4) been have a response to a Q or in context to a comment made, nor do I recall ever bitching about you. If you wish to PM about your concerns feel free to do so. Otherwise we can just have it out in FFA. Right now your sitting in a big ol glass house.

Ryan you'll have to bear with this kid, he has no clue about forum etiquette, and obvously does not know what spamming is.

And response to your comments about keeping it off the floor, My fuel is stored in my basement on the floor it was there all winter (Early November to late May) You might want to try shaking up your fuel before you run it. I shake my gallons every time I go to use them.
Another thing is that you should be retuning every time you go out and run.

"wait guys hold on, YAWN"

"If you're bored why bother keep checking this thread??"

sounds like spamming to me.

Back