Preferred Connector Type?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandemic326

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Having an issue where the Traxxas connector on my erevo and venom batteries is so tight I can barely get it seated right. I am thinking about ditching for a different connector and wondered what is your preferred connector? I was thinking of cutting everything out and going deans connector on everything but perhaps there are better suggestions?

I've always converted over to Deans, but perhaps there's something new out there that I haven't tried yet. Hang in for some other suggestions.

Thanks Rolex

Been doing some looking since posting. Looks like ec3/ec5 might be a standard. Or even came across castle connectors.http://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-connectors-6-5mm-011-0053-00

To add I am looking at getting an xmaxx 8s down the road so need something beefy to standardize on. (I think).

All of the "smart" batteries, ESCs and chargers from Horizon Hobby are going to the IC-3/IC-5 connectors which are the newer version of the EC3 and EC5 which are compatible with each other.

ok, thanks everyone. did some more research off the information you all provided. Looks like unless i am a spektrum die hard, which i haven't been so far, i am leaning toward xt90. I plan to purchase gensacearespammers batteries in the future (have two venoms now) and from what i have read make the most sense bang for buck. So hopefully xt90 will be a good way to go. Especially since i am not looking to buy a new charger (I like my hitec x4).

Deans for me.

They have never failed, easy to solder and are compact.

and buying a new charger does not mean your stuck on a specific. connector thats what squids are for along with a good solder iron /flux/heat shrink tube..( gosh I wish there was a heat shrink wrap)..

I never used squids.

All my batts used Deans so that’s not an issue.

When I did charge other stuff like a transmitter or receiver pack, I made an adapter to the deans.

Granted you need a good soldering iron, good solder and some skills using the solder iron which is easy with minimal practice.

xt90 or EC5 would both be a good choice. xt90 is a bit of a pain to solder, I like ec5 better for that reason.

XT 90 are very easy to solder . I ve been working with a solder iron for nearly 50 years..

I've only used traxxas older style, newer style, deans, xt60's and XT90's. Once I used XT90's, I switched everything over to XT90. On my pairs of 3S, I put an XT90s on one of each pair so I could eliminate arc'ing when I plug them in.

trx plugs suck to solder/fit together. No matter how carefully I soldered, I'd still have to use a dremel to shape down the wire end/soldered area so it would fit. Half the time, when I plugged the battery in, the stupid contact would push out of the connectors. They were constantly popping apart on me on hard landings and the lack of a anti-spark version made me look for something else.

I had used deans in the distant past for receiver plugs and whatnot with nitro use. I didn't care for soldering those either and there was so little plug to "pull" on when disconnecting, you were always putting strain on the solder joint to unplug them.

A couple of my devices have xt60's on them, and while those would probably suffice on my smaller 3S trucks, I didn't want any of my packs or chargers to differ, so I just put xt90's on everything when I did the swap from trx.

They still pop apart on rare occasion on a bad lawn dart landing, but at least they are quick/easy to solder cleanly, they don't spark when plugged in, they don't get as warm as the trx plugs when used and they are big enough to get my mitts on.

I ended up making little clips to keep them locked together on my ERBEv2 as so far, it's the only one that they seem to pop apart on. I do lawn dart that thing a lot.
2019-1019-XT90-RetainerClips.jpg

Thanks everyone. Ordered some xt90s on amazon so looking forward to their arrival.

Biggest "tip" I can offer is when you do soldering on xt90s, hook up an extra connector to the one you are soldering this helps keep the connectors straight and helps with heat dissipation.

Once I started doing that xt90 wasn't so bad to solder.

Last edited:
Try checking out XT90s I have just started using them after hearing nothing but good things about the connector. I use to use deans then was using v1 traxxas connections and now XT90s are my go to when it comes to connectors. Check some youtube videos on how to soldier them before doing so.

Thank you everyone. Xt90s showed up yesterday along with a new soldering station.

Back