Post you home-made mods here :) Creative idea's? Pictures?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a tip for everyone, Posy, who does not want posy right, you can buy a locking differential, for around 10 dollars, witch is what i did, i got mine from integy, but home made ways to make your truck have either posy or less slip in the differential, like either adding a thicker grease, some use epoxy's to lock them up, things like play-doh, jb weld, i found, that an easy way to create less slip is to use black magic gasket maker, if you seal the diff up quickly, it does not dry, but it does thicken, making it have less slip, this is a trick that can be cleaned out later on, posy is great for cookies, as well as better Handling in my opinion, especially for mud runs and some tracks, were posy at least in the rear can help keep it straight, as well as make it drift, i use the locking diff in the rear no matter what I'm doing, i think it is amazing and would suggest it to anyone!

Foams! This is another trick you can use to change the handling of your machine, in my case, i have regular wheels/tires and one set of foams in the rear, but i put double foams into my front tires, just for the way i like it to go, just like some cut the tires to change there way, foams can be an easy solution depending on what handling your looking for...

Want to widen your maxx just a hair, or angle the tires for optimum mud patrol, lets go ahead and back those ball screws out, be sure not to back them out too much, or your maxx may just rip them out, but a little wont hurt, we can back them out a little to give it that hair wider, as well as angling them, just a tip, a lot wonders about a lift kit, this is very much possible! With a lift, you will need longer a-arms, to help with the angle of the drive shafts, i have some idea's on how to do these things home made, and once they are done and go well i wil post pictures and instructions, as well as how i did it :)

Last edited:
My Exceed RC Short course truck came with an extremely flimsy body

Carsnip4.PNG

and when I flipped up on my side, this happened:

Carsnip1.PNG

So My Solution:

Carsnip2.PNG

There's actually Used iTunes Gift cards under the tape

Carsnip3.PNG

Wheres Olds? Captain Frankenstein, now theres some home brew mods that look the part, lol.

Mine look home-made...

Aftershock

Skid plate:
2008-0830-SkidProtectionBarInstalled02.jpg

2008-0920-BottomSkids.jpg

Roll Bar:
2008-0920-ExhaustSide.jpg

2007-0411-AftershockRollBarMountsRear01.jpg

2007-0411-AftershockRollBarMountsFront01.jpg

2008-0920-MGTBodyRightSide.jpg

Bumper brace:
2009-0907-RubberBumperStandOff01.jpg

Savage
Roll bar:
2010-0210-SavageRollBarAndTank.jpg

2010-0410-SavageRollBarSupport.jpg

Have shaved down the sharp corners since this:
2008-1219-SavageBumperBraceRear01.jpg

Pipe hanger:
2009-1223-SavagePipeHanger.jpg

Bumper brace:
2009-1223-SavageFrontBumper04.jpg

Turnbuckle eliminator:
2008-1228-SavageRearTurnbuckleEliminator.jpg

2010-0410-SavageT-Maxx3.3BodyTank.jpg

Jato
Roll Bar:
2009-1231-JatoRollBarExhaustSide.jpg

2009-1231-JatoRollBarUpExhaustSide.jpg

2009-1231-JatoRollBarRear.jpg

2009-1231-JatoRollBarBodyOn.jpg

I don't run those tires on the rear though, they are just stupid horrible for traction.

I can see were the captain Frankenstein comes into play, i gotta say olds, you topped the thread, some sweet idea's you got there, I'm sure my nitro's will end up looking some what like yours in the near future :)

So, going back to my roll cage, and how i made a body out of it using plastic and camo duct tape, zip ties and others, well, yesterday, i finished off my fuel, an old metal can of traxxas 1-gal, and i was like,...hmm...what can we do with that? Well here it is, working progress, almost done, will have an update when i am done, it will be painted and finished up to look all pretty, holy cow talk about using all reasonable sources hehe :):)
cage.gif

tomorrow I'm doing white duel pin stripes, and it also has two bars that cover the back, some decals and air ducks, all metal, made with my empty nitro fuel can, and i ran out of metal with that, so i took down another no trespassing sign :) ill have some more pics when i have the stripes n such...
CIMG1145.gif
CIMG1146.gif
CIMG1147.gif
CIMG1148.gif
CIMG1151.gif
CIMG1152.gif
CIMG1150.gif

looking good! I bought some more goodies for a tube chassis so we'll see what happens here...

excited to see what you got brewing m4rk! you see what i did with an old empty can of fuel? going to try and finish it up tomorrow once i get the rest of the paint and decorating done ill have some more pics up, you see what captain Frankenstein made haha thats insane huh, one of the next projects on my list is to make and see how 4-wheel turn would be, i feel that 4-wheel turn would be cool on ice with the picked tires, i even have the right receiver for duel steering servo's!!

excited to see what you got brewing m4rk! you see what i did with an old empty can of fuel? going to try and finish it up tomorrow once i get the rest of the paint and decorating done ill have some more pics up, you see what captain Frankenstein made haha thats insane huh, one of the next projects on my list is to make and see how 4-wheel turn would be, i feel that 4-wheel turn would be cool on ice with the picked tires, i even have the right receiver for duel steering servo's!!

How would you control it? just get an air transmitter?

what do you mean by control it?? control the 4-wheel turn?

I have a receiver that has an extra channel, it has two channel 1 if I'm correct then a chnnel 2-3-4 and so on, i would simply plug the two steering servo's into the two channels that work together, it is technically a 5-channel, the steering servo's would work together....

some receivers have a set up so it has 5 plugs, has a channel 1, a second channel 1 that works with the first one, then a channel 2, channel 3, and channel 4/batt, for duel servo's and i was told it has something to do with a certain tranny if I'm correct...

Hey check out my idea....a home made mod that would be an alternative for a nos injection!! https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86886

i could get a pic of the receiver for you, or you could google them, it is a micro 5-channel with duel channel 1 check it out they are cool for having an extra servo for what ever either duel steering servo's for the front, or 4-wheel turn, or a servo for my nitromethane injection idea, read that forum I'm going to try it at some point with an old engine i have and make some vids so you can all see how it goes!

CIMG1156.gif
CIMG1155.gif

you see where the second channel one is missing a plug, that is where i would plug the second servo and the two channel 1's would work together...

right now there is the batt plugged in, shifter, thrott and break, and steering, if i rigged the steering system in the rear, the rear stabilizer arms would hook right up, and it would be a matter of setting and adjusting everything and there you go...

what do you mean by control it?? control the 4-wheel turn?

I have a receiver that has an extra channel, it has two channel 1 if I'm correct then a chnnel 2-3-4 and so on, i would simply plug the two steering servo's into the two channels that work together, it is technically a 5-channel, the steering servo's would work together....

some receivers have a set up so it has 5 plugs, has a channel 1, a second channel 1 that works with the first one, then a channel 2, channel 3, and channel 4/batt, for duel servo's and i was told it has something to do with a certain tranny if I'm correct...

Hey check out my idea....a home made mod that would be an alternative for a nos injection!! https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86886

i could get a pic of the receiver for you, or you could google them, it is a micro 5-channel with duel channel 1 check it out they are cool for having an extra servo for what ever either duel steering servo's for the front, or 4-wheel turn, or a servo for my nitromethane injection idea, read that forum I'm going to try it at some point with an old engine i have and make some vids so you can all see how it goes!

CIMG1156.gif
CIMG1155.gif

you see where the second channel one is missing a plug, that is where i would plug the second servo and the two channel 1's would work together...

right now there is the batt plugged in, shifter, thrott and break, and steering, if i rigged the steering system in the rear, the rear stabilizer arms would hook right up, and it would be a matter of setting and adjusting everything and there you go...

Oh, cool! I've never seen a reciever like that.

Alright, heres my latest creation. I'll post pics of it grinded and painted up later..
P1152892-1.jpg

P1152902-1.jpg

Holy m4rk! You really went all out with that huh? Looks amazing did you weld it? That really is some great work i have to say an eye opener for sure, i have to keep looking at the picture haha looks awesome, Racingdad I'm sure will be very inspired by this where looks like you have made the entire thing if that is the roll cage you started before, I almost added some stuff to my roll cage last night but was a slacker haha thumbs up to you! :)

Yeah, I welded it together with my 220v welder, overkill I know but its what I got. Its not the same cage as before, this is a different one I started with. Its pretty addictive, I already have an idea of another one to build. It looks alot better with the welds ground down and painted up. I'll get those posted. I think I only spent about 6 hours all together on it, so not too bad. The next one might take longer but I'll beat this one to death first, hahaha.

O yes definitely addictive haha i love making different things home made I'm always adding to my roll cage, making skid plates, been having incredible troubles lately, ruined my tranny, so after flipping my diffs and using the back up tranny, i fixed my original, and put it in forgetting to flip my diffs, so i had it a part twice just to get my original tranny in, to blow it again after 5 min, so now i have to flip the diffs and put the back up tranny back in all over again, what a pain, i have torn it down to the chassis about 4-5 times this past week, has been a mess, i painted my roll body and going to post some pictures deff think yours looks awesome and a nice weld job i must say over kill i think not haha if the welder does not eat the metal its a go right haha awesome like it! :)

Back