Polishing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxx Trooper

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I sent Diver6127 my T-maxx header and Paris Turbo pipe do get it polished, and wow he did a great job.

Before pic
3429RC_023-med.jpg

and After
normal_T-maxx%20025.jpg

normal_T-maxx%20026.jpg

normal_T-maxx%20027.jpg

normal_T-maxx%20028.jpg

the pic's do not do justice to the polishing job. this thing looks great in person, but in the pic, it doesn't look so good. All the anodizing is removed, in all the little nics and everything. I'm kinda afraid to run it cuz it looks soo good.

great job Diver

later

DIver you make me proud..Lol. What if I send you my crappy looking Ofna Pipe and header that comes out of my PCR Pro kit. Can you polish that up? Nice pipe MT.

Good greif I bet that thing sparkles!

What is the process to polish something up as nice as that?

Yeah Diver does nice work. I'm not sure how he does it, but I've seen some of his work on this forum.

Max, I'm glad that you are happy with the work. I am sorry that it took longer than expected. I got swamped with work last weekend.

Originally posted by jon2
DIver you make me proud..Lol. What if I send you my crappy looking Ofna Pipe and header that comes out of my PCR Pro kit. Can you polish that up? Nice pipe MT.

Jon, if you are really interested, PM me and I will give you my shipping info.

Originally posted by GilBeQuick
Good greif I bet that thing sparkles!

What is the process to polish something up as nice as that?

First thing done is Sandblasting to remove all the annodizing and undercoat so that the raw aluminum is exposed. Second step is using a cutting/polishing rouge on a 15 inch buffing wheel (yellow wheel). Third step is ultrasonic cleaning. Nothing much but elbow grease and a cross pattern for optimum shine. If there are gouges, they will still be there. I can grind them out or use a rubber wheel but it might jeopardize the integrity of the metal.

Here is the buffing machine I use to polish it up on ...

2044Buffing_station.jpg

Here's the Sand Blaster ... btw, I use an extra fine blast media. When done, it has a satin finish. Enough to take off annodizing, but not enough to make it too hard to polish.
2044Sand_blaster.jpg

Last edited:
Diver, Is that your garage full of all that hardware? If so, I'm really jealous, cause I don't even have a garage, & have to keep using the kitchen table (when the wife isn't around).

Keep up the good work!!!

Later....:mex:

Yup, it's my garage. We use it for the family business as well. Here's a pic of my work/rc table in the garage ...
2044Workbench.jpg

Yes, sandblasting can definitely warp thin metals. Alot of people have switched to plastic media, which helps a little bit.

Originally posted by SokuShi
can't sandblasting warp metals?

Only if metal is too thin and too much pressure is used with too coarse of a blast media. That's what the pressure regulator is used for. You can't just go in and blast the hell out of it. Rigidity and air pressure along with media blast used is a key factor. I use glass beads ... fine grit.

I can understand concerns about warping but this is what I do for a living (going on 11 years) and would not do it on the r/c without doing it on my own first. If any damage is caused by my hands, I would replace with a new item.

Originally posted by Diver6127

Only if metal is too thin and too much pressure is used with too coarse of a blast media. That's what the pressure regulator is used for. You can't just go in and blast the hell out of it. Rigidity and air pressure along with media blast used is a key factor. I use glass beads ... fine grit.

I can understand concerns about warping but this is what I do for a living (going on 11 years) and would not do it on the r/c without doing it on my own first. If any damage is caused by my hands, I would replace with a new item.

is that the like the dust particles in my exhaust? i noticed fine grains of stuff in the exhaust pipe.

might be sending u some more stuff to polish.

hey.. my exhaust is messed up, i want a new one.. lol.

later

Yup that was it ... must've gotten stuck in there somehow while still wet. My bad for not blowing it out with compressed air.

Diver- What is it u do for a living?

Yup that was it ... must've gotten stuck in there somehow while still wet. My bad for not blowing it out with compressed air.

I'm sure it will blow out once i get the engine crankin.u still did a great job man.

later

Originally posted by Team 17
Diver- What is it u do for a living?

We have a Family corporation that refurbishes surgical instruments for hospitals.

Originally posted by Maxx Trooper

I'm sure it will blow out once i get the engine crankin.u still did a great job man.

later

Maxx, blow it out with compressed air. The remaining grains might make it's way into the pressure tube and into the engine.

Originally posted by Ryhton
Nice work Diver, that pipe looks great.

Thanks.

We have a Family corporation that refurbishes surgical instruments for hospitals.

Maxx, blow it out with compressed air. The remaining grains might make it's way into the pressure tube and into the engine.

Thanks.

ok thanks for letting me know, dont want to blow that resized piston and sleeve.

later

nice work diver. that's looks really slick. i love shiney stuff!!

just wanted to add the ghetto version of strip and polish.

EZ off over cleaner
Mother's mag polish
rags and elbow grease.

not a reflective luster, but with the dremel and some time, it can be.

wiita

Back