Pics of my TRX4, as requested

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA0701

RCTalk Racer
Supporter
Reaction score
As requested by @turbo27 , pics of my TRX4. Not long after I got the TRX4 with Traxx, essentially a Sport with Traxx, I quickly figured out a few things. The Traxx were not a whole lot of fun, and I wanted more from that truck. While trying to figure out exactly what path I wanted to go down, Harley Designs released a video of a mud truck he built using the same TRX4 Sport as the base, I had found my inspiration, and now knew I was going to build a mud truck. This is it, and remains a work in progress.

I still have the Traxxas 2 speed transmission upgrade, and the locking diffs upgrade to install, among several other hop ups. She's never seen the mud, oddly enough, and is more or less a shelf queen. Enjoy!

I decided I'd better get the pics quick, as I expect I will be repurposing those wheels and tires for the Capra, and putting the 1.9 Hyrax back onto this truck. Not sure how well the Capra will run with these Mud Slingers, or on 2.2, but since the rims the Hyrax are mounted on won't work, I am going to try these.

20240425_191140.jpg

20240425_191151.jpg

20240425_191155.jpg

20240425_191210.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer my 1/24 rigs but I do have 5 1/10 crawlers I think. :D
Which 1/24 do you run primarily? I ask as I have a Furitek Cayman Pro RTR, and while the motor and esc in this thing are incredible, modulation like no other RC I've driven. But, holy cow, is this thing ultra fragile. Because of this truck, I stopped buying anything RC related for almost a year because of my experience with it. If it weren't for the fragility, this would be one of my favorite RCs ever. Believe me folks, if you're ever thinking of shaking the bug that is a love for RC, just stop, you can't, you are now permanently stuck with this affliction. 😁

Which 1/24 do you run primarily? I ask as I have a Furitek Cayman Pro RTR, and while the motor and esc in this thing are incredible, modulation like no other RC I've driven. But, holy cow, is this thing ultra fragile. Because of this truck, I stopped buying anything RC related for almost a year because of my experience with it. If it weren't for the fragility, this would be one of my favorite RCs ever. Believe me folks, if you're ever thinking of shaking the bug that is a love for RC, just stop, you can't, you are now permanently stuck with this affliction. 😁
My Furitek Cayman Pro has been a champ, no problems. I'm surprised to hear you had issues. I have a little of everything 1/24 and 1/18. My Cayman is my best performer. I really like them all! ;)

Let's see that Capra. 🏁

Oh heck let's see them all. 😁👀

Last edited:
I have 5 and one a new one being built on the bench.
The SCX24 platform works for me but I'll get into the other builders kits one of these days.

Nice Sport. I kept the Traxx on mine.
That's great, which color did you get, what sort of running are you doing with it, terrain, conditions?
I have 5 and one a new one being built on the bench.
The SCX24 platform works for me but I'll get into the other builders kits one of these days.
How well do the SCX24s hold up? The issue with the Cayman was that it literally broke before I ever drove it an inch, then parts were nowhere to be had, and when I finally got an entire front axle assembly about 2 months later, because new diff gears were never going to be offered, I got it installed, and when I powered on the truck it took off across the table, without me touching the transmitter, and when I grabbed it to keep it from going off the table the driveshaft snapped, so another 1.5 month wait for a replacement.

After almost 5 months, and two repairs, I was finally able to drive it around a short bit, inside the house, and it is a great running truck, and extremely fast for it's size, on 3S, but with it being so fragile, and me finding it so difficult to get replacement parts, it now sits idle, and looks really cool. I get more comments on that little truck and the TRX4, than I do any of the others, even the X-Maxx. If parts were readily available, it would be a fantastic ride!

I really would like to get into the smaller scale rigs, something ti run inside the house on rainy days, which we have had a lot of those this winter. Do your SCX24s hold up really well? I have been thinking about a UTB18, especially with the new Capra addition, as I have read a lot of comments that it is a very durable truck. Thank you, for your reply!

That's great, which color did you get, what sort of running are you doing with it, terrain, conditions?

How well do the SCX24s hold up? The issue with the Cayman was that it literally broke before I ever drove it an inch, then parts were nowhere to be had, and when I finally got an entire front axle assembly about 2 months later, because new diff gears were never going to be offered, I got it installed, and when I powered on the truck it took off across the table, without me touching the transmitter, and when I grabbed it to keep it from going off the table the driveshaft snapped, so another 1.5 month wait for a replacement.

After almost 5 months, and two repairs, I was finally able to drive it around a short bit, inside the house, and it is a great running truck, and extremely fast for it's size, on 3S, but with it being so fragile, and me finding it so difficult to get replacement parts, it now sits idle, and looks really cool. I get more comments on that little truck and the TRX4, than I do any of the others, even the X-Maxx. If parts were readily available, it would be a fantastic ride!

I really would like to get into the smaller scale rigs, something ti run inside the house on rainy days, which we have had a lot of those this winter. Do your SCX24s hold up really well? I have been thinking about a UTB18, especially with the new Capra addition, as I have read a lot of comments that it is a very durable truck. Thank you, for your reply!
Without a doubt, right out of the box the Deadbolt is a top notch crawler and I'm sure other would agree.
My first Deadbolt is completely upgraded with every mod possible. Furitek system and all the brass
to lower the CG.
My second Deadbolt I built part by part but I still need to get a Furitek system in it. I am sold by Furitek.
The 1/24s are simple to mod and parts are cheap.

Without a doubt, right out of the box the Deadbolt is a top notch crawler and I'm sure other would agree.
My first Deadbolt is completely upgraded with every mod possible. Furitek system and all the brass
to lower the CG.
My second Deadbolt I built part by part but I still need to get a Furitek system in it. I am sold by Furitek.
The 1/24s are simple to mod and parts are cheap.
I'm sold, a Deadbolt will be next on the list, once the Capra is finished. I agree about the Furitek motors and escs, as I mentioned, the brushless system in the Cayman Pro has the best modulation I have ever seen, so slow and smooth, but when you hit the gas that thing flies, I just really wish the parts for their rigs were more easily attainable. Thank you!

I'm sold, a Deadbolt will be next on the list, once the Capra is finished. I agree about the Furitek motors and escs, as I mentioned, the brushless system in the Cayman Pro has the best modulation I have ever seen, so slow and smooth, but when you hit the gas that thing flies, I just really wish the parts for their rigs were more easily attainable. Thank you!
The Furitek Cayman, as far as I know just uses FMS FCX24 axles. You should be able to source parts here
https://www.fmshobby.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&options[unavailable_products]=last&q=Fcx24&page=1

Or simply buy the appropriate aftermarket parts. Nexx Racing, Meus Racing, Treal, Hot Racing, and a number of other companies make upgrade parts for the FCX24, which is what the Cayman is bssed on.

But as Tunedfrog said, the Deadbolt is a great 24th scaler. Everybody should own at least one 😉

The Furitek Cayman, as far as I know just uses FMS FCX24 axles. You should be able to source parts here
https://www.fmshobby.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&options[unavailable_products]=last&q=Fcx24&page=1

Or simply buy the appropriate aftermarket parts. Nexx Racing, Meus Racing, Treal, Hot Racing, and a number of other companies make upgrade parts for the FCX24, which is what the Cayman is bssed on.

But as Tunedfrog said, the Deadbolt is a great 24th scaler. Everybody should own at least one 😉
I actually bought a FCX24 axle when that broke (the axle in the Cayman was actually stamped FMS), but at the time they were nowhere to be found. One of the guys at Amain who was working with me surmised it may have been because the Cayman Pro had just launched, and ate up all of the stock. The axle I bought took 2 months. The hardest one to find is the driveshaft, as from what I have been told the Cayman Pro RTR takes a certain length driveshaft, and they were difficult to find, at least at that time. Good luck finding the length of that driveshaft on the web, and couldn't get it from the folks I called at Furitek as well. All of the parts I ended up buying were all direct from China, which why it all took so long. Even Furitek USA didn't have any of either part. One thing I learned is to make sure any vehicle I buy moving forward has plenty of parts available, and hopefully lots of aftermarket support.

The Redcat Acent 18 is also a strong performer right out of the box, and for the price you can't beat it. I highly recommend it.
Yes, I have been seeing a lot on that little truck, seems RedCat really nailed it with that one. The amount of aftermarket support at launch has been mind blowing. Thank you for that!

Back