Onboard camera?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CntCtchMe

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just read a thread about somoneone having an onboard camera in thier bggy, i wanted to do that but i heard it is very expensive to do with the wirless camera, has anyone done within reasonable cost

you can find those little camera's under $100 I think. I forget where I've seen 'em. Depending on the quality they can go plenty higher I'm sure. Some of 'em have audio also.

Error401 from this website, ran with an onboard camera on his Savage. He has posted some information on this topic before. A search of the site might yield said information, or you can PM him. Either way, he is the guy I would refer you to for making this a reality.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7448&highlight=camera

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5287&highlight=camera

Here are just a couple of threads with his info in it. Try a search with "Camera" in the search string field and "Error401" with member field.

thanks i just looked at a copule different cams, i didnt know you couod get them for that cheap, hhmmm, now i just have to get my TQ working, blasted thing :radio:

I baught my onboard camera from ebay.. theres no sound but its colored. Works great when its to hott for me to be outside i sit in the house and look at the 60 inch t.v. and drive it from there..It's just like playin a video game but is REAL LIFE.... I think i paid about $40,00 shipped...

Here's a couple tips:

Do not invest in a micro camera if it's 900Mhz, only go with 2.4Ghz. Mine is one of the 900's and reception kind of sucks.

Use alot of vibration isolations stuff (RC plane Rx foam works real good). If you don't isolate it, the video will suck.

Run a seperate power supply for the cam. Tapping into the main battery on an electric without some real voodoo noise filters will make the video suck. Running off of the radio battery does the same, plus it doesn't have enough power. Use Li packs for the best power to weight ratio. Heavy batteries will make your vehicle handle like crap.

The cam I used in the SandboxBash vid was a micro DV cam that recorded to a compact flash card (not radio linked to a base station). The drawback to this was a frame rate of 15 instead of 30 and a frame size of 320x240 (about half of what TV's are).

Make sure that wherever you put the cam it's protected from damage (rollovers, wrecks, etc), but not close to electronics or the engine. Get some lexan sheet and some thin servo tape. Cut a piece big enough to cover the rim of the lens. Cut some real thin strips of servo tape and stick the lexan over the lense. This will provide some protection to the lense, while not obscuring or hindering the view.

And lastly, avoid driving "in the car". On jumps you will get disoriented. Watch my vids and you'll see.

Hope that helps, and good luck, it's alot of fun doing in car vids.

There is a truck they sell at radio shack 4 $175$ an it has a camera in it an the screen on the remote. If your good w/ this stuf maybe u can take it apart an find some way 2 hook the camera 2 yo buggy an the screen 2 some kind of stand or somethin'....

hi,
i cable tied my mobile on to the front of my mini-t no shell of course the video came out sik sound and all, i was going a bit to hard and rolled it with the camera filming this works great for me

Ebay man, Ebay. The world's largest garage sale. You will find all the portable video accessories that you will ever need.

Back