Newbies mistake .25

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRDStreetFighter

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Yesterday 3 guys walked in to my LHS... trying to bargan on getting 3 Savage RTR 25 with fuel, glow plugs, 7.2 batteries, AA batteries, quick charger... trying to make a deal... they had to be in there late 20's mid 30's... I told them to brake it in properly cause they are talking about running right away... they bought it @ 3:30pm.. came back @ 5 or 6... all had the back plate problem.. but it didn't get to that point.. they blew there motors.. crashed in a tree and one had the back plate fall out.. now they are bitching saying they got defective items and spent over $1400 on them total.. now they have to deal with HPI... sucks to be them

You work at a hobby store or something?

Anyhow, this's what you tell them, when you buy a new 1:1 car, would you drive conservative until the engine gets broken in, if they answer yes, then tell them it's the same with r/c's then go on to describe break in...if they say no, then don't bother telling them, they won't understand

maybe some people don't belong in r/c? I dunno, seems like some people won't take the time to understand what it takes to own an r/c...that includes, maintenance, repairing, AND tuning.

Dude it does suck to be them totally. HAHAHA. I even read the instructions on my kit when I before I even started running it at all. Late

nah... my work is next door to the hobby store.. just that I am always in there for my break... just the way there are talking I warn them that even though it says RTR doesn't mean they are ready to fully run.. you need to break in the engine first.. and the funny thing is that they are all AUTO mechanics!!! They should know better that you need to break in the engine before driving it hard..

i work at a hobby store and have to deal with retards like that all day. i have heard and seen evrything.
*"i hit a wall and it broke, i want my cash back"
*"whats the break in?"
*"is it bad when the smokes like this"
*"i took off the pipe because it sounds cooler!"
*"i know you guys tuned the car for me but i thought i should change it ...
.............fix it."
*"is this thingy on the engine supposed to have all of its fins"

hten there is the guy who bought a terra crusher and got jellous of his buddies tmaxx so he destroyed the terra crusher by running it through the snow, brings it in caked in snow dripping water and said"it doesn't work can i do a trade in for a tmaxx" yeah right!!!!!

it is a great job and i dont mind questions, i could talk with someone all day about rc, but i get how stupid people can be sometimes. i dont mind helping you with your problems but i do mind when you run into the store and start arguing with me when i am trying to help you because you didnt find it a priority to read your instructions, or read the huge labels we put on all of the boxes that say this is not a toy and once it has been run it is not returnable and we are not responsible for your stupidity. You gotta love this hobby.....
......no seriously you have to :doh:

Originally posted by metallicamaxx

*"i know you guys tuned the car for me but i thought i should change it ...
.............fix it."

lol, like I said, there's some people that are meant to be into r/c's, and there's others who just need to realize it's not for them...maybe they can goto radioshack and get a toy r/c

I was over at a hobby shop this weekend. These two guys bought a HPI nitro rs4. They tried to start it in the parking lot, it wouldent start. They came in and they dident have a glow plug. The hobby store gave them a glow plug to use... they strated the car and the engin was too lean becasue they dident event tune it or anything, they dident even read the instructions. the car went carshed into a tree and the engin burned. :radio: lol. your right, some people just can't be in this hobby.

The sad part is that some of those people actually work in LHSs around the country. I was in my LHS and showed the employees that their 25s had the backplate problem. I even showed them on of of the engines in the display case and they still had the deer-in-the-headlights look. They're all plane people, that might explain it. I just wonder what's going to happen to the people that purchase those trucks. Hopefully they can find this site.

Has anyone heard anything about any offers from HPI over this issue?

HPI should make it right

Ya know that is one thing that I know about HPI. They have always made things right in the past and they should make those right for people that had this problem. All's I can say is that my new savage better not have this problem or I'ma be pissed. Of course I'm also going to seal the back plate myself anyways. Late

Not to sound stupid but what is the back plate problem.

RussSAV25: Some of the new Savage 25's were assembled incorrectly. The backplates were installed without locktite and were not tightened down enough. There is a post concerning this on the HPI web site. It is just a matter of removing the backplate and reinstalling using locktite on the screws.

Back