Newbie question related to diffrential , shocks oil and recommended gearing to kraton 1/5 EXB

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karim

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I'm newbie and bought a used kraton and felt like overwhelmed, also panicked I'm srry for that

so i opened it up and watched those nice youtube stuff then just got overwheelmed
plz help me what is the recommended if i will use it for bashing with max6 erzun (srry edited it ) and 5687 1100 hoppywing motor
oil weights for the diffrentials
oil weights for the shocks
what is the recommended gearing

Last edited:
I'm newbie and bought a used kraton and felt like overwhelmed, also panicked I'm srry for that

so i opened it up and watched those nice youtube stuff then just got overwheelmed
plz help me what is the recommended if i will use it for bashing with max8 and 5687 1100 hoppywing motor
oil weights for the diffrentials
oil weights for the shocks
what is the recommended gearing
First off you're going to need a MAX 5. A MAX 8 is for 1/8 scales and is too small. Not to mention its only a 6S ESC and you need 8S ESC. If you're going to spend $220 then you might as well spend $230 and buy a Castle XLX2 ESC. Its not only better quality but is way more programmable and even has datalogging capabilities.

As for the diff oil, shock oil, and gearing Id start with what the manual suggests and then tune it to your tastes from there.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...t/dwdbc682de/Manuals/ARA5208-Manual-MULTI.pdf

First off you're going to need a MAX 5. A MAX 8 is for 1/8 scales and is too small. Not to mention its only a 6S ESC and you need 8S ESC. If you're going to spend $220 then you might as well spend $230 and buy a Castle XLX2 ESC. Its not only better quality but is way more programmable and even has datalogging capabilities.

As for the diff oil, shock oil, and gearing Id start with what the manual suggests and then tune it to your tastes from there.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...t/dwdbc682de/Manuals/ARA5208-Manual-MULTI.pdf
Thank you so much for u r reply
i made a typo the esc is erzun max 6
and i also have a mamba monster x 8s with a 2028 800kvk motor coming on the way from the usa to germany , as i bought it just before i found the kraton deal :) , i may re sell it what do u think 🤔

Id say resell it cuz you're going to need a MAX 5 or an XLX2. MAX 6 isnt going to cut it either imo. Its for 1/6 scales and the K8 is a 1/5 scale and a heavy 1/5 scale to boot. You can try it but if it burns up you're just going to be out $160 and still looking at spending $220+

Id say resell it cuz you're going to need a MAX 5 or an XLX2. MAX 6 isnt going to cut it either imo. Its for 1/6 scales and the K8 is a 1/5 scale and a heavy 1/5 scale to boot. You can try it but if it burns up you're just going to be out $160 and still looking at spending $220+b
oh my , i just keep getting in troubles 😂
ok i will see how to sell stuff on ebay or smth since I'm new here in germany and i will try to sell the new mamabamonster 8s and 2028 since they are new and still sealed
for the max 6 its already installed in the truck and the recipt says it was bought at june so i dont know if i can re sell it or i will keep it , its so powerful by the way , before i dismantle the truck to maintain it , it was a bruteee

oh my , i just keep getting in troubles 😂
ok i will see how to sell stuff on ebay or smth since I'm new here in germany and i will try to sell the new mamabamonster 8s and 2028 since they are new and still sealed
for the max 6 its already installed in the truck and the recipt says it was bought at june so i dont know if i can re sell it or i will keep it , its so powerful by the way , before i dismantle the truck to maintain it , it was a bruteee
If its already in the truck and working then might as well use it. Just make sure you monitor motor and ESC temps so you dont burn anything up. You may have to keep gearing conservative but temps will tell you everything.

If its already in the truck and working then might as well use it. Just make sure you monitor motor and ESC temps so you dont burn anything up. You may have to keep gearing conservative but temps will tell you everything.
Ok thnx for that heads up also
what is the easy gearing that u think i should use
it was on 47 spur and 27 pinion

Best thing is as Grey said - run it. Check temps, run it again a little longer, check temps. I generally start getting worried when I hit 150°F and will watch closer from then to make sure. If I hit 160°F I start thinking about a shorter pinion (less teeth). It will depend on how you drive it. If you drive it in grass, the temps will likely climb faster. So just keep an infrared temp gun handy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I generally dont like to see my ESC go over 160F and I dont like to see the motor go over 170F. Make sure you look for the hotspots too. Some sports will be hotter than others. Especially on the ESC. Go by the hottest part of the component you can measure.

Lol, I just noticed I said shorter spur instead of shorter pinion. Fixed it, but dang, some days my brain no work.

Ok thank u so much guyz i will keep all of that on my mind , now i just need to decide on the differential oil wt then we assemble it and play

I bought a combination of diffirent diff oils and shocks and waiting for the delivery
For diffs 100k cst front and back as recommended by the manual and ear blugs for center
For shocks i got the 700 cst also as per the manual
and now i can't decide between using a 30t pinion gear with 47 or 39 spur gear

Woah! The manual says the center diff is supposed to be 20,000,000 CST. Do they even make diff oil that high? The highest I've seen is 1 mil.

Woah! The manual says the center diff is supposed to be 20,000,000 CST. Do they even make diff oil that high? The highest I've seen is 1 mil.
At that point, just use a silicone earplug.

There is 2 mill csp from team corally but i will use earblugs for this incredible 20 mill

Back