Newbie...need crawler advice. XTM or Axial?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquid815

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all,

Newbie to this site BIG into RC's. I have 2 HPI 5B's, T-Maxx, Slash and Helis....know i need a Crawler. Did lot's of research but seem to get more confused each day. Any suggestions or tips would be great.

Presently i have my mind set on an XTM X-Crawler, Axial, or a Clod (very confused on Clods). My LHS's arent to familiar with Crawlers cause I guess we live in Fl (Not much to climb)

My question is how do you decide which to go with....don't want the best, but a decent setup. Cost is not a factor.

Thanks!!!

well the axial is the best for the buck man, get the axial artr and then just get the electronics and you are good to go!!! but if cost isnt a factor, you could build one using berg axles wich would be a killer way to go!!! but yeah the axial is the best crawler for the money, very good rigs.

If cost is not a factor, why not go with the Berg from the git-go?? You will be much happier with the capability of it cost wise over the ones you mentioned. Just my opinion, as I went from tha AX-10 to the Berg & wish I had done so to begin with.

Last edited:
yeah ron i agree if money isnt a big deal, get rid of the damn drivelines and tranny from the start!!!

Not to mention a lower center of gravity & higher ground clearance,the power of two motors,front & rear dig,etc,etc,etc!

x20 on all of that Radron!!! and really if he were to buy a kit berg its not really that much more than an axial, if cost wasn't a factor of course.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I see lots of you suggest the Berg, what makes the Berg such a great crawler? Do you think it's better than the XTM X-Crawler and why?

the xtm if i recall is a super, so its alot bigger than a 2.2, wich you can go that route but the 2.2's imo are the funnest and you will find more people to crawl with who have 2.2's....the berg is better for the fact that they dont use drivelines or a external tranny, the motors mount on the axles eliminating the drivlines, and eliminating all the weight of a motor and tranny sitting up top. so way low center of gravity for one, dont have to fix your driveline every 5 minutes for two lol. the dig systems are all electronic so they are also alot more precise....and the berg axles are fricken sexy imo lol.

Keep your eye out for the new Kyosho Crawler and the Venom Crawler. Both excellent choices other than the Axial or XTM.

The XTM is a super class cralwer (lot bigger) needs dual motors and two steering servos.

The Axial, Kyosho, Venom are all 2.2 class.

yeah and the venom is listed for like $215 at tcs....

The Berg axles are buy far the best axles for competition in the 2.2 class. The shafty rigs (crawlers which use a transmission and driveshafts) just can't compete with the Berg type motor-over-axle rigs because of the center of gravity. The Berg axles and other MOA axles have the motors mounted directly on the axle. Without having a motor and a transmission mounted up high in the chassis, the center of gravity is incredibly lower.

The Axial is an AWESOME rig to get started and I highly reccomend it if you don't want to spend the money to build a Berg comp rig. You can build a nice Axial for around $400. Also, the axial is a great way to get started so you can educate yourself before you spend the money to build an all out comp rig. The more you know, the better you'll be able to set up a comp rig and the more wisely you'll spend the money. The axials have amazing aftermarket support, and can be taken as far as you want. There are even MOA axles that you can use with your axial rig later on, and I personally know of some really sweet MOA axles that will be cheaper than the Bergs, work with your Axial parts, and will be well built. Other than that its classified information at this time. Just letting you know that there are options and always will be for keeping an axial up to date with the latest technology.

The XTM is a Super and I've been wanting to check one out, but I MUCH prefer the 2.2 class over the super.

Last edited:
CTM the HR MOA are the same price as the Berg axles now.

I wasn't refferring to the Hot Racing axles, I'm not into them. I was referring to a totally new product thats being developed.

Charlie...... 3 times with the 'motor over axle axle'. Must be the sedatives still.
I agree the Ax10 ARTR is by far the best starter rig, and can be made into a good performer.
I think I am reaching the end of its potential now though and will be going Berg shortly if I dont go super. (just for fun)
The only thing left for me on the AX10 without going front dig, is the 169mm links I have on the way with the 17mm hubs and 40 series wheels. It'll almost be a super.

One things for sure liquid, if charlie and chip say it! Believe it!!!!

I want to thank you all for advice!!!! So what I'm understanding is the Axial is a good starter and best bang for the buck with many upgrade options that will make it comp ready if necessary. The Berg seems to be a little more pricier with upgrades already included in the kit. I seem to be steering more towards the Berg between these two options. Know it's deciding 2.2 or super.....lot's on the forum like the 2.2 class. Is there any particular reason besides more people have them? I don't plan on competing.

Sorry if questions sound idiotic..LOL. 20+yrs in RC and this is my first crawler itch. I don't want to do what i've done before "Man, I wish I would of bought ______ instead of this" Who am i foolin, it will happen...LOL.

Thanks again!

RC Addict you know the feeling....YUP!! Addicted with no cure in sight!!!!!!!

Back