New Transmitter/Receiver questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucho

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I recently dusted off an old Kyosho road car that I have (purchased about 15 years ago) and I went out for a run with it and lost signal at full speed, smashing it into a brick wall! SO, I went to the local hobby shop and they told me the radio is AM right now, which is prone to interference. They recommended getting a failsafe mechanism that applies the breaks when the signal gets interference.

So my question is this:

Should I get a failsafe, or should I just upgrade to a 2.4ghz setup? And if I do the upgrade, will I have to upgrade my remote and the receiver as well? I'm not really sure how it all works.

I understand the upgrade would be more expensive, but I'm sure there are some pros to doing it as well, so any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! As well as any recommendations on makes/models would help me do some research :)

Thank you for any help in advance!
L.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I recently dusted off an old Kyosho road car that I have (purchased about 15 years ago) and I went out for a run with it and lost signal at full speed, smashing it into a brick wall! SO, I went to the local hobby shop and they told me the radio is AM right now, which is prone to interference. They recommended getting a failsafe mechanism that applies the breaks when the signal gets interference.

So my question is this:

Should I get a failsafe, or should I just upgrade to a 2.4ghz setup? And if I do the upgrade, will I have to upgrade my remote and the receiver as well? I'm not really sure how it all works.

I understand the upgrade would be more expensive, but I'm sure there are some pros to doing it as well, so any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! As well as any recommendations on makes/models would help me do some research :)

Thank you for any help in advance!
L.

I just upgraded the radio system on my RC10GT2 from the stock FM kit to a Futaba 3PL 2.4GHz set due to much the same reasons as you. I lost signal on the car during break-in on a new engine and almost lost the car (if it hadn't drifted into a lucky area of overgrown foliage I would have been in trouble). I picked up the radio and a receiver from Tower Hobbies for $114 for both (actually, using coupon codes for free shipping and discount, I paid $104 out-the-door). I'm very pleased with it, and it has a built-in failsafe to protect against signal loss in the future (not that I expect to need it with this radio setup, but better safe than sorry). The radio has received very good reviews, including this one from Big Squid: http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-radio-transmitter-shootout/.

Hope this information helps.

-Brian

Just get a futaba 3PL and be done.:D

I have to say that this radio is pretty nice, especially for the price point. Took it out for the first time this weekend and was very pleased!

If you plan in getting back into the hobby, then spend the $ and get a new 2.4G receiver/xmitter. If your not sure and just want to dabble a bit, spend $20 and get a fail safe.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am looking to get back into the hobby, so I think a new radio is in order, I can see it being very frustrating to keep getting interference on my fm stock radio.

I did some research on the Futaba and went to the hobby shop to ask questions as well. After reading a bunch of reviews and forums about the 3pl, it looks like a damn good radio so I decided to get it. Took me about an hour to set it up but it's good to go now!

Thanks again for the opinions and advice. Much obliged!