new slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fescue101

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i just ordered the slash vxl 4x4 and was woundering what to upgrade right away?

the battery would be a great place to start.. I have beaten my slash 2wd alot! and havent replaced anything!! and I do some stupid stuff with it..

what kind of battery? I am new to electric i have always had nitro.

I run a 2cell 4100mah 7.4v 30.34wh 24c high performance lipo and I get about a half hour bashing out of each battery as long as I dont do continuouse high speed runs then it knocks it down to about 20 minutes. anything bigger then a 2 cell lipo is just insane with a slash

do i need to change anything else before running lipos or can i put a lipo in a stock truck?

as long as the batt has the same connectors you wont so try to look at the connectors on the battery and make sure it is the same as the slash. I run deans plugs on my brushless rc's even my micro brushless rc's. but I know alot of people that still use the stock traxxas connectors, and I havent seen any difference.

---------- Post added at 8:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:39 AM ----------

oh the only other thing is posibly some softer tires or just a better tread pattern for grip. Although being 4wd you might not need to.

You will need to also get a good charger that will charge and balance the LiPo. You should also try to go to as high a C rating as possible.

definetly true I was thinking about the charger and then looked and you had posted it.
I use the ONYX 235 series charger. it seems to do the job pretty good!!

Get a new body so yours looks different. Then add some RPM blue parts to make it look cool

the only rpm parts I have is the mudflats. these things are so durable it isnt funny. yeah a personal lid helps identify it on a track but for bashing I would beat up the lid that comes with it!! keap the custom one for showing off.. I like the black look myself.

Are you planning on adding lights? It looks awesome at night, especially driving through puddles and mud

driving through puddles and mud

On this note, if your rig is not waterproof then I would suggest Traxxas's WP esc/brushless setup, or do the best you can WPing yourself. I myself run a non WP esc/brushless setup on a Losi XXX-SCT but when the need arises I baught a dirt cover that velcros right over my chassis keeping 95% of dirt and mud/water out. You can bash in the mud and water without a waterproofed rig but dont expect it to last long. IMO (in my opinion) I would just stay away from mud and water alltogether because there is just too many parts that can get ruined by that type of "bashing"

Not sure if your getting the brushles setup but make sure your esc can handle whatever "S" rated Lipo pack. IMO 2s is plenty of punch for a sct, If your not lookign to spend an arm and a leg for packs, I would reccomend www.hobbypartz.com (gensacearespammers 5000 2s 25c Lipo is the cheapest but best way to go) that is in my own personal opinion.

And thats my .02

will have to agree the working kc lights look pretty sweat!!! and yeah the vxl is a brushless setup. I want to actually get the 4wd mud flat setup cause I think having 4 flats on the truck would look pretty cool!!!!

i went with 5000 mah 30s 3cell lipos and my motor gets hot after about 5 10 mins.

I tried the same batt's and mine gets pretty warm I can get a full batt through it if I keap my top off for the whole run. other than that I would use alittle smaller batt if it is overheating or try to mess with the gear ratio I run 23t pinion and a 90t spur on my slash.

I don't think you can get a Slash 4x4 that isn't a brushless VXL system. You can in the 4x2 though.