New savage engine....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmk10

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, this is my first post, this site seems pretty cool and looks like a big help..........well I've had my savage for a while now and I've been thinking of putting a different engine in it, not sure if I wanna go with a k5.9 , but I've heard good things about the O.S engines.......anybody got any recommendations? Or other well known brands...........I want an engine where I can just pound the snot outta the truck
Thanks guys!

O.S is a very good brand, I personally have only dealt with the LRP engines and have had great luck with them. You may want to look into the new LRP .32.

I run OS plugs in my truck now and they're great, that's why I wanted the OS engine
But I'll definitely take a look at that LRP as well
Thanks man

i have the lrp32 in my savage x right now n its so sick its like impossible to keep the wheels on the ground n everything it direct fit

Really??? Haha that's sick........ How is the engine when it comes down to tuning? Fairly easy?

I have the Savage 25 and upgraded to the LRP .28 Spec 3... could not be happier, I went strictly off of recommendation from this forum, it amazes me. Insane power. Almost 2x the power of the stock engine in my truck. Makes 4hp in the same case as the 2.5. (this new engine is a 4.6) O.S is also a well respected brand, I would not be offended if somebody chose an O.S over one like mine because they are probably the biggest name in RC engines.

---------- Post added at 1:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:03 PM ----------

I have the Savage 25 and upgraded to the LRP .28 Spec 3... could not be happier, I went strictly off of recommendation from this forum, it amazes me. Insane power. Almost 2x the power of the stock engine in my truck. Makes 4hp in the same case as the 2.5. (this new engine is a 4.6) O.S is also a well respected brand, I would not be offended if somebody chose an O.S over one like mine because they are probably the biggest name in RC engines.

Correction, the stock engine was a 3.5cc ( i meant 2.5hp from the 3.5cc)

I have the Savage XL with a LRP .30 spec 2 I must say that it has some insane power. Its still running on the rich side, as I've gotten almost a whole gallon through and I am seeing some nice power. Just make sure you do not go with a stock HPI pipe. The Ofna pipes are a nice cheap alternative(though bit of a pain to install). Or if you have the cash and endbleed from ERCM.

The Lrp engines will have a lot of power for the money.
The Os engines will also have a lot of power, but are slightly higher quality and easier to tune.

I have the Savage XL with a LRP .30 spec 2 I must say that it has some insane power. Its still running on the rich side, as I've gotten almost a whole gallon through and I am seeing some nice power. Just make sure you do not go with a stock HPI pipe. The Ofna pipes are a nice cheap alternative(though bit of a pain to install). Or if you have the cash and endbleed from ERCM.

O really? Well I have a tuned pipe on my savage now the one that comes with the 5.9 engine.......should I get a different one?

The Lrp engines will have a lot of power for the money.
The Os engines will also have a lot of power, but are slightly higher quality and easier to tune.

Ok cool, so basically either way I'm gettin a good quality engine,
Might just flip a coin to decide lol
I'll let ya know what I go with!

Alright i just bought the lrp .32!!! will be here in a couple days , I'm excited to see how the break in and everything goes........any know a good pipe to run with it?

Keep us posted on what you think of this motor, as I'm thinking about getting the same one for mine. ;)

I have that same engine it's a real monster! Insane power and a breeze to tune. It was one of the easiest engines I have ever worked with. Break in went as smooth as glass. You won't be disappointed at all with that engine.

thats awesome too hear!!!
haha alright i will keep you guys posted......quick question, does anyone know if i can use the flywheel and clutch shoe from my 4.6 motor or should i get a new one?

It will switch over however I suggest getting some aluminum clutch shoes. The composite ones won't last as long with that engine. Seal the back plate and carb too before you start the break in with some high temp silicone.

I already have an aluminum clutch shoe in mine , ....... So should I just pop that in?
Oh really? Never done that becore, Okay I will..... Where abouts on the carb? Like where the air filter meets and stuff?

No you will have to loosen the pinch bolt that holds the carb and pull the carb up a little. Not all the way out but just enough to get a bead of silicone around the base of it. If you already have aluminum shoes then you should be good to go. The Idea of sealing the engine is to eliminate any possible air leaks which can have you chasing the tune.

thats awesome too hear!!!
haha alright i will keep you guys posted......quick question, does anyone know if i can use the flywheel and clutch shoe from my 4.6 motor or should i get a new one?

i just bought an extra HPI aluminum clutch and threw that on the LRP, and as far as a pipe check out ERCM if you dont have the money for one look at the Ofna pipes the have a few pipes out there, but mine was a pain to fit, used a wire hanger and some ingenuity. i know for OFNA pipes the 086 is high end and 053 is low end.. theres one in the middle but i forgot the number.

No you will have to loosen the pinch bolt that holds the carb and pull the carb up a little. Not all the way out but just enough to get a bead of silicone around the base of it. If you already have aluminum shoes then you should be good to go. The Idea of sealing the engine is to eliminate any possible air leaks which can have you chasing the tune.

okay i gotcha and then once i got the silicone on it, push it back and tighten it.
Yea i got a set but idk they could be a little worn, i might just get a new set from integy or something just for the hell of it since its a new motor :)
thats pretty sweet, i never knew that about the silicone, hopefully it helps....also where else should i do it besides the carb, the backplate?

---------- Post added at 2:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:33 PM ----------

i just bought an extra HPI aluminum clutch and threw that on the LRP, and as far as a pipe check out ERCM if you dont have the money for one look at the Ofna pipes the have a few pipes out there, but mine was a pain to fit, used a wire hanger and some ingenuity. i know for OFNA pipes the 086 is high end and 053 is low end.. theres one in the middle but i forgot the number.

okay ill take a look.....um do u buy chance know how much a pipe form ercm would be around?

Yes the back plate. just run a small bead around the flange of it and put it back on and tighten it down.

Back