New fuelie 30.5cc engine. Do I break it in? If so, how?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy88

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just fitted a brand new fuelie 30.5cc engine to my baja now what is the break in process on it? Do I just start up and let idle for a whole tank like a nitro? Or start up and away I go? Help lol

I know absolutely nothing about these 1/5th scale engines. Just to lay that out there off the bat.

I vaguely remember reading of some break in process, but if I'm remembering correctly it is a lot less complicated compared to a nitro engine break in.

Is there any sort of model number on the engine? I can try to find a manual if you know exactly what engine it is. I'm sure someone else on here will know the answer. I'm just trying to help for the time being...

Sound like I shud leave carb on factory settings warm it up for a bit and drive it spiritedly but not thrash it for 10-15bursts then cool down and do same again for first 2 tanks. Then after it should be ok :)

i was always told to just take it easy the first couple tanks then let it rip. some people just let it go right from the start and have no problems. these engines are nothing like a nitro engine as far as having to do heat cycles and watching temps.

Last edited:
Many people have different break in procedures, I build a lot of these cy and Zenoah from stocker to stroker. Biggest thing is set your carb to factory settings, run it at a moderate rate ( have fun but not crazy..yet ). Check your temp once in awhile ( no temp over 240f ). After your first tank let it cool down, fill it up and let it RIP. From this point on its all about maintenance. Biggest thing is getting those rings to seat during that first tank.

SC-Revo
Amp'd-RC
"It's more than a hobby...it's an addiction!"

As SC-Revo stated this is the same way I would break in my motors. One full tank at slow varying speeds. Starting off slow making some circle passes and gradually working my way up to about 3/4 throttle passes. Towards the end of the tank I would start giving WOT passes. Find bottom dead center on the piston as best you can and let it cool completely. The only thing I would do different was add more oil, instead of a 25:1 mixture I would do like an 18:1 mixture which I believe is one extra ounce of oil for two gallons of gas. I would also pull the plug and clean it before running it again.

Last edited:
I agree with " override " 100% !

"It's more than a hobby...it's an addiction!"

Back