Nerds and geeks, gather 'round

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, gents. Back to the original problem. I can't read, play or record a disc. It can't find a disk player so no software will install. Installation failed is the message I keep getting.
Well, today I got an external DVD writer, USB, and got the same thing. It does not see it and can't install a driver for it. There are no IDE connections. Everything is through SATA.

I've come up with Code 19 several times trying to get through this, and that code is for registry errors. I can't repair anything due to the fact that it won't acknowledge that there are DVD decks.

Any other ideas? I'm pretty fed up with all this, I have NO idea exactly when or why it started, but the virus deal was after the fact. I can't even contact the manufacturer since I built this machine with individually ordered parts.

Have you gone into control panel and brought up the device manager in system? It should look similar to this:

l8QZ8n4J3Ezui4CWiH2+lwT9hdDhs4Lrr+FWjY5bC5HeCrHQO0w+6227A47G6swMbidNidNtuw0ThsMgybDCNDxpEh48iQ4X8BC+HRNmRARV8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
l8QZ8n4J3Ezui4CWiH2+lwT9hdDhs4Lrr+FWjY5bC5HeCrHQO0w+6227A47G6swMbidNidNtuw0ThsMgybDCNDxpEh48iQ4X8BC+HRNmRARV8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
wG0ZsbLbnCczQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
desktop_zpsc36c42a0.gif

You should be able to see whether the devices are seen at all by the OS. If they are there, then highlight them and delete them. Re-boot the computer and Windows should reinstall the correct drivers and the DVD burner should work. (The other devices problem listed is a USB 3.0 card that I've been too lazy to replace.)

Last edited:
I've come up with Code 19 several times trying to get through this, and that code is for registry errors. I can't repair anything due to the fact that it won't acknowledge that there are DVD decks

Can you post a screen shot of the error message when you try to add either of the drives?

I'll tell you I'm already leaning towards doing a system re-install. You mention the error you're getting now is registry errors and you've already had a nasty program on there that is known to damage the registry.

Registry issues can be pretty hairy to repair and even then isn't a sure thing. Backup and reinstall is what I'd recommend thus far.

Hamz, that's the first place I went, and I've been there, done that about 50 times. It shows the drives with an exclamation point. I uninstall, reinstall the driver and I'm told it failed.

Then, I'd go with Woodie's suggestion of backing up data and doing a full reinstall. Your registry is corrupted.

Yep. I agree with Woodie and Hamz... after such a nasty piece of Malware such as the one you just removed can leave a registry in shambles even after removal of the malware. In most cases it will take you longer to try and repair the entries then it would if you just backed up your data and started over.

I did a full system restore, but I can't get on line because I have no network adapter. Since I built it and can't just go to Dell or HP, where do I go and how do I get it?

Spent pretty much the entire day on this but I'm finally back up and running.
What irony. I couldn't install drivers from my Windows 7 disc because it couldn't see the drives. Did a wipeout and new install of the OS, then couldn't get on line. Techs at AT&T told me I had to download the missing network adapter from the manufacturer. Well, that would be me. One of them tried to sell me a help site for $15 a month for a year or a one time help for $49.
I refused to do it, and that was the end of my internet provider's help.
I even asked if the network adapter could be on the mother board install CD and was told it would not have anything to do with that.
I was able to use my laptop by hard wiring to the modem since I had disconnected the router and wifi.
While downloading some tools and info I started to wonder why this was happening since I had no problem getting on line the first time I turned this thing on. I loaded the disc for the motherboard, and lo and behold, there were all the necessary drivers needed to install Ethernet as well as several USB drivers and other essentials TO THE HARD DRIVE.
I installed the motherboard program and here it is, up and running again.
I'm hoping I get an email asking me if I was satisfied with the help I got.

Gotta pay for that expensive education they have in reading scripts.

They ought to teach them language skills so we can figure out what they are saying through the Indian accent.