Need some help with my Baja 5b

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonio

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Having some trouble starting my baja. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bought an used Baja 5b SS with an almost new cy290, race ported by ESP (big bore 36mm kit if it helps at all)

It started on the second pull the first time, used it for about 2 hours without a single problem.
Next day ran for about 15 min without a problem, then suddenly it started making a weird noise (as if about to run out of gas kinda noise) it speed up and started moving forward for about 30 secs and died, could never get it started again after that. (yes it has gas, yes it's mixed properly)

Sounds to me like its a fuel problem, but I took the spark plug and dipped it in the gas tank and its still not firing up. I have tried 3 new spark plugs as well, tested them outside and they have good spark.

Is there anything else I can try without removing the carb/engine?
Thanks

EDIT: I ran it on a field of dried grass, and it was everywhere, I noticed the pipe had started to melt the part of the cage it sits on, could I have damaged something if it overheated?

Last edited:
I know VERY little about them yet but maybe you should adjust the low and high speed needles back to stock or what ever is recommended and try that...Prolly not the same but mine ran for a while then would only rev and die, rev and die, rev and die, so I looked in the tank and the filter was push part way up the back side of the tank so it was sucking air, so I just pulled the how farther out of the tank which put the filter about mid tank and it fired right up.

Couple of things to check as well.

1. The vent hole in the gas cap isn't clogged. Loosen the gas cap and try to start.
2. The carb bolts haven't loosened

Oh well, ended up taking the carb apart, had about 5 pounds of sand inside.

Back