Need Help choosing a digital camera

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITRO 21

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I need to get a digital camera , something that not to complicated to use and was wondering what other people on this site were using and maybe if you could post a pic that you took with that camera, I'm not looking to spend to much something under $500-$600, any help would be appreciated.

Personally, I'm waiting for 7 megapixel to become more affordable. I think I read somewhere that it takes 7 megapixel to equal the quality of 35mm when you blow up an image to an 8x10. The better half is big into photography so we're waiting for the technology to cheapin... right now I think 7s are around 900 or something crazy like that. I now realize that this post really doesn't contribute to your question but at least there a little info you can use when shopping. Sorry if this is a waste.

this is what i have.its a sony dscf717. 5 megapixel.its a little more than your budget but worth the extra cash.try going to bestbuy i think they have it for $599-$699.

DSCF717_1.jpg

I have the F717 too and it's probably still the best 5.0mp fixed lense camera you can buy. It performs great in pretty much any light condition due to it's super fast aperture of F2.0. However, it's kinda big and can sometimes be awkward. It's not a bad deal considering the shots it'll take. However, it is two years old.

I figure since you're into RCs, you'll want a good video mode. The F717 takes 320x240 videos at 16 frames/sec. Sony's newer cameras take videos at 640x480 at 30 frames/sec. The difference is pretty big.

My buddy just got Sony's new W1. It just came out and it's pretty sweet. The first thing I noticed with his was how fast it was. When you turn it on, the lense extends fast and the autofocus is super fast. I was impressed with how fast all the operations were. The W1 has the good video mode I mentioned above, but a downside is that you can't zoom in and out once the video is recording like you can with the F717. Even though it doesn't have all the higher-end manual settings like aperture priority or shutter priority, it does have a full manual mode. It's a great point and shoot camera.

So in conclusion, I will suggest the W1 because it's new, super fast, has a HUGE LCD at 2.5 inches, compact, easy to use and it takes great pics for only $400. That would leave you $100-$200, enough for a good size Memory Stick. You will want at least a 256mb, and those cost about $90 now. The 512mb would be really cool. Memory Sticks are getting cheaper and the 512mb one is about $180. It's just a good, go anywhere, inexpensive 5.0mp camera.

I will ask him for a couple of high resolution shots to post as examples.

Thanks, I would prefer that the camera be compact that way it wouldnt be a problem to just take it anywhere without having to lug a big camera around I'm not really into photography I just want to be able to post pix of my cars so it would be easier to get help with them as I have had been quite a few problems with them lately.

Just wanted to thank Killerwabbit for recommending the sony DSC-W1 it's a great camera especially for $400 I am still learning about some of it's features but have managed to upload some photos into my gallery.

i think I'm going to get the w1 also mine damn kodak just died its the second kodak that just died and would not recommend them

HP photosmart 812.
It cost like 500 when I got it a year and a half ago.
Probably came down since.

I will personally recommend from experience, any of the Olympus C series cameras.
I currently own a discontinued C3000, & love it... About 5 years old, with not one problem.
Olympus C-Series

I have the HP 635. It's cheap and it does mostly what I want. I think all of the pics in my gallery are from it. The only thing is, all those pics have been shrunk and made less clear so as to not eat up space.

FYI, I bought my 256M memory card at buy.com for $50 for this cammera. I have a camcorder that's old and isn't digital and I'm thinking of getting a converter, but that will have to come later. Actually, I just checked and they are $42 Sandisk 256M

Like I said though, the camera is pretty cheap and is only a 2.1MP with a 3X zoom + a 4X digital zoom, but the digital zoom makes crap pretty grainy. It records movies with sound, but zoom doesn't work. I think I can get 9minutes of mpg for 256M card.

I think I only paid $140 for the camera at walmart 6 months ago(if not longer).

i have a fujifilm f700. one of the best pocketable digicam's out there imo. takes great movies for a digicam (if that's important to you) and can take pics in full manual or full auto. easy to use, take great pictures (6mp!!), and is small enough to fit into any one of your pockets

i just bought the w1 and it a great camera I'm going to shooting some short vids soon alot of features...so far so good

Good choice hb, you just can't beat the 2.5 LCD for $400. I didn't even know about this camera until it was recommeded to me.

i got a open box at circuit city for 359.00 i love the fact that i can turn it on and start shooting no need to wait!!

holy poop that amazing how that transmitter looked,how do you know all that stuff?

Back