Need break in help please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me to man I'm hooked now still thinking about a revo or Losi 8ight which is the better one ? I have a lil extra cash to burn from some money I saved on new exhaust for my mustang.
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to run on a track or in dirt, the buggy would be tough to beat. For me though, I have 3 MT's (2 revos and a savage), a jato and an old 1/8th buggy. I drive mostly at local parks in the grass and at a skate park when people aren't around. I rarely drive the buggy. I haven't had it out in 2 years. Landing on concrete on it's lid is hard on shock towers and engine heads. With my revo/savage, they ahve roll bars and whatnot to help protect them.

When I used to run at a refinery that was all dirt/small stone surface with large piles of dirt/ground stone, the buggy was a riot to drive. When I wrecked, the ground would give some and not bend the shock towers too bad. My first hard wipe out at my skate park though snapped my front shock tower. I can't run at the refinery anymore, so it sits.

Rooky78 I got the borla s-type for 800 for a 2016 I had to jump on it. I leaning towards the revo I would buy from my local hobby store but their Prices are to much. I'll just shop around online for a deal. Is the revo better then the savage?

@jman214 that's awesome. I have a 95 I love. Well... anyou Stang, really. Hint- I named my daughter Shelby. Lol.
As far as Revo vs. Savage.... that's an age old war there. I have a mini revo, I have a Savage X 4.6 and I'm working on a friend's Revo 3.3, and I may try to make it mine. I've not driven it, but he discovered brushless and doesn't have the patience for nitro. Maybe @olds97_lss will chime in, I believe he has both and can give you better feedback on both.

Is the revo better then the savage?

That's kind of subjective. If you run in dirt a lot or on concrete, the revo will probably suit you fine. But, if you spend a lot of time in grass or sand, the big block power of a savage will probably work better for you.

I have 2 revos and a savage x (and a couple others). As it is, the 3.3 wasn't enough power for me and I upgraded one of my revo's to a full big block while the other has an OS21TM in it. Both are well suited for where/how I drive now, but if you buy a new revo and feel under powered, the options are very few on adding more power than the traxxas 3.3.

I just finished the breaking it in. Is it ok I leaned the hsn till it was running really good , , and how is it a good way to tell if the motor is broke in good?

I just finished the breaking it in. Is it ok I leaned the hsn till it was running really good , , and how is it a good way to tell if the motor is broke in good?

Becareful when you lean ,monitor the temps & make sure you see a trail of smoke coming from exaust.
If it sizzles water on top of the cylinder ,then its too hot.Some people have temp gun!
I monitor mine by feel with my hand.
Notice the sound ,if the rev lingers after throttling down ,then its too lean.
You should have a nice clean crisp sound at full throttle.

I run mine alittle on the rich side for safety measures an to help the engine last longer.
An don't forget to run the piston down at bottom dead center after you shut it down.
You can pull the glo plug ,an stick a tooth pick in on top of piston ,rotate flywheel until you
see the tooth pic go down.Put a mark on the flywheel an somewhere on the block.
I usually just line the mark up from flywheel where it points straight up to the carb.
Or if you get good ,you can simply tell by the stroke feel.

You can also find BDC by turning the flywheel side to side. When you feel resistance on the left, go the other way. When you feel resistance on the right, bring it between those two points. The resistance is the piston going into the cylinder and starting the compression stroke. Half way between those points put a mark on the flywheel for future reference and always make sure that's where you keep it after turning it off.

bdc.jpg

The only way I can get the car started if I hold my finger over exhaust and prime and it will start for a sec then quit or poor some fuel in top of the head . What could this be?

The only way I can get the car started if I hold my finger over exhaust and prime and it will start for a sec then quit or poor some fuel in top of the head . What could this be?

Pull your fuel line off the carb & muffler ,then blow in the one that came off the muffler
to see if theres any restriction.You should have a stream of fuel come out of the line
that goes to the carb.
I would check that first to see if the tank is plugged!

Try to open your idle gap a bit. Should be 1 to 1.5mm. Use your throttle trim to open it up even more for start up.

Starting with what is now post #31, I merged your new thread with your earlier one. Starting a new one dealing with the same basic topic makes it almost impossible to keep track of what's already been done. Please keep your posts in this thread till your issue is resolved. Thanks for understanding.

Back